U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, AK
191 posts, read 183,583 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
Hello, all.

I am thinking it is time for me to leave Anchorage, and I need some information, the kind I cannot easily get just by Googling.

Please tell me about your Alaska town. What is the job market like, and the rental market? Is it easy or difficult to find housing if you have pets? Are the people friendly or more reserved?

A few places that have intrigued me are Homer, Valdez, and Talkeetna. I see people describing Fairbanks in glowing terms, but I fear it may be a little too cold for a little too long.

I apologize for the vagueness of this question, but I am really just getting started, and it is difficult to be more precise without a target community in mind.
I often have similar feelings, and may end up eventually leaving AK ... if I can't figure out a way to make the economics work someplace outside of Anchorage. I've been around a lot of the state, though only Juneau in SE. What type of work do you do, or ..if you are on a fixed income ..how much is it. That will determine what your options are. Talkeetna, Valdez, and Homer are all wonderful. Talkeetna would be a tough place to make a living. I will tell you that Fairbanks and Juneau both impress me in terms of sense of community and "vibe", both have fair to decent job opportunities, and more culture than you would expect for cities their size. They are also both quite expensive ..Juneau in terms of housing ..Fairbanks in terms of utility/heating costs. I don't quite know what it is about Fairbanks that just grows on me when I spend time there. The town itself is pretty *meh*, as are the immediate surroundings (though the Two Rivers area is lovely), but when I go to the Blue Loon, or the College Coffeehouse, or hike around Creamers Field, I think *ya know ..I really could live here." I also really like the community in Nome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2012, 05:22 PM
 
Location: San Tan Valley, Arizona
579 posts, read 316,194 times
Reputation: 298
AK Steve, I am drawn to Fairbanks as well. I have visited twice so far, March 2011 and February 2012. Plan on coming back for two weeks in January 2013. The northern lights really have a pull for me, and there is just something about the general area.

Love stopping at the College Coffee House for a good cappuccino and to send a few emails (no smart phone or lap top--when on vacation I leave my computers at home!). Just heard about the Blue Loon recently on this site and really hope to visit there as well.

The main reason I am coming up in January is to sample the COLD, which I missed this year--it warmed up when I was there Feb 4-13. Obviously a visit is not the same as living someplace but it will give me an idea (and I do hope to catch the lights again).

Don't know if I will ever be able to swing it financially but I am not ruling it out. If it doesn't pan out in the long run, I can at least look forward to more trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 05:35 PM
 
3,766 posts, read 3,995,946 times
Reputation: 3852
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
I have several reasons, not all of which I want to list here, but mostly it is about the cost of renting here...
So are you looking for an Alaskan town with lower rent and higher sense of community than Anchorage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 06:43 PM
 
Location: alaska
461 posts, read 802,865 times
Reputation: 322
Valdez is by far my favorite out of the three you mentioned. When ever I have told somebody that I would like to live in Valdez they give me a little smirk and say " So, Have you every been there in the winter?"
My favorite small communities are Ninilchik and Kenny Lake. The people in Ninilchik are more friendly and inviting. Kenny lake people are bit more reserved but I get a sense that the people would come running if you where in need of a helping hand. It kinda has an upper midwest feeling about it with farms in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, AK
871 posts, read 613,307 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
So are you looking for an Alaskan town with lower rent and higher sense of community than Anchorage?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Point Hope Alaska
4,323 posts, read 1,361,084 times
Reputation: 1146
I would take a weekend trip to some of the areas you might want to check out first hand. Enjoy the scenery along the way. If you are able to rent/borrow a vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, AK
871 posts, read 613,307 times
Reputation: 604
That's good advice. At the moment, I am just compiling a list of possible destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, AK
871 posts, read 613,307 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongazid View Post
Valdez is by far my favorite out of the three you mentioned. When ever I have told somebody that I would like to live in Valdez they give me a little smirk and say " So, Have you every been there in the winter?"
My favorite small communities are Ninilchik and Kenny Lake. The people in Ninilchik are more friendly and inviting. Kenny lake people are bit more reserved but I get a sense that the people would come running if you where in need of a helping hand. It kinda has an upper midwest feeling about it with farms in the area.
Ah, yes, the snow. The snow is one of the reasons I think I would like it. Lovely, lovely snow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, AK
871 posts, read 613,307 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSteveB View Post
I often have similar feelings, and may end up eventually leaving AK ... if I can't figure out a way to make the economics work someplace outside of Anchorage. I've been around a lot of the state, though only Juneau in SE. What type of work do you do, or ..if you are on a fixed income ..how much is it. That will determine what your options are. Talkeetna, Valdez, and Homer are all wonderful. Talkeetna would be a tough place to make a living. I will tell you that Fairbanks and Juneau both impress me in terms of sense of community and "vibe", both have fair to decent job opportunities, and more culture than you would expect for cities their size. They are also both quite expensive ..Juneau in terms of housing ..Fairbanks in terms of utility/heating costs. I don't quite know what it is about Fairbanks that just grows on me when I spend time there. The town itself is pretty *meh*, as are the immediate surroundings (though the Two Rivers area is lovely), but when I go to the Blue Loon, or the College Coffeehouse, or hike around Creamers Field, I think *ya know ..I really could live here." I also really like the community in Nome.
I keep hearing that, about the Fairbanks "vibe." I don't think I could handle the extreme cold, though, and the accompanying cost of heating would almost surely be a dealbreaker. Juneau I have not even considered. Housing is just as expensive there as it is in Anchorage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Michigan / Talkeetna,AK
1,064 posts, read 1,072,394 times
Reputation: 971
I love Talkeetna as I have a place there Jazzy but I'm not sure you'd care for their public transit....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top