Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:17 PM

339 posts, read 728,399 times

Advertisements

Hostile, geeze. I'm only going to be in Canada 3 nights tops. It's not worth taking the time to exchange money and waiting in line to pay cash at the gas stations. I was hoping maybe there was some sort of prepaid card I could get that I could use in either country without any extra charges, that I could reload every year. Guess not..

I'll use my Visa and suck up the extra 5% or whatever it is. I will be switching my bank to AK USA eventually so thanks for the tip on their credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:36 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Litre Log

Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
It took me all of 10 minutes to exchange US to Canadian. I'm trying hard but the only place I think I ever stood in line to pay for gas was at 60 Mile House and even then there were only 2 people in front of me. Good luck with your trip.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Sound like no matter how you do it you are going to pay to convert... I was able to spend USA dollars on a one for one basis in Ontario. That was when the dollar was only worth .96 of a Canadian dollar. Funny thing happened my hotel bill I paid with Amex and by the time they did the conversion it was in my favor and I got a 5% discount....

The way things are going if I were regularly going into Canada I would just keep some Canadian money on hand.... I somehow do not think that the usd is going to be worth 1.25 or better in Canadian like in days past.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:52 PM

162 posts, read 361,922 times
I've never had a problem with my Visa debit card in Canada. No extra charges as far as I know- mind you it's debit, not credit, linked to a bank account, yadda yadda.

It's funny how if you go to Canada they're usually happy to take American money, but drop so much as an errant Canadian penny on the counter in some places here the cashier starts to get bulgy veins and lay into you about how "this isn't Canada, don't you know anything you idiot tourist!"

What you really want to watch out for is using your cell phone. I have AT&T and didn't have a problem with voice calls but that's all I've ever tried to do. I've heard some horror stories about people racking up massive bills on Roger's Wireless without even realizing it. Smartphones typically poll email and weather databases every couple of minutes even when locked in your pocket unless you tell them not to. It adds up quick!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Yep,

You ought to be grateful they are even still accepting our worthless currency at all given all the shenanigans Obama/Geithener/Bernanke have pulled over the last 4 years!
Don't try and cut spending in Washington or you'll get fired. Just ask that Secret Service dude.

Dang prostitute wanted hundreds of dollars and he said, no way, the USofA is experiencing a real fiscal crisis; here's 30 bucks and that's all you're going to get. Now buzz off.

And for that he was told to take a hike. Crazy stuff, Mr. Moose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska