Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times

Advertisements

You should be okay with a FWD vehicle during winter. Streets are kept cleared so the only time you might see some difficulty would be during a snowstorm where they can't keep up with it. Of course, this is coming from someone who drives 4WD/AWD vehicles. If your car is RWD, I'd suggest getting a new one. While it's possible to drive it in winter, I know of several who park them for 3+ months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM

15 posts, read 41,812 times
That's extremely helpful, thanks. My SUV is FWD so I'm guessing I should be okay. If I stay there for longer than a year I'll probably end up buying a 4WD which is not a big deal because in the long run I want to return to Fairbanks so I'll defiantly need a 4WD. I was looking at renting a car for 2 weeks and I'd be paying well over $1,000...that's pretty expensive, might as well buy a new car or simply take my SUV.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:32 PM

18 posts, read 26,554 times
I just moved to Juneau in April and I stayed at the frontier suites for 2 months. They've recently put their rate up to $1800/month for the summer. It is definitely not worth that.

As far as apartments, I only just found a good one. Many apartments that I saw were overpriced for what you get. It's definitely good to get here first, and don't feel weird about telling anyone and everyone that you are looking. It's definitely a word of mouth sort of town. You'll have an easier time finding a place without a pet, but I've heard not great things about the apartment complexes, so I would steer clear of those and see if you can find something that is attached to a house or is a condo.

Happy to provide some lessons learned from my experience. If you're interested just send me a private message so we don't clog up the thread.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpalmigiano View Post
I just moved to Juneau in April and I stayed at the frontier suites for 2 months. They've recently put their rate up to $1800/month for the summer. It is definitely not worth that.

As far as apartments, I only just found a good one. Many apartments that I saw were overpriced for what you get. It's definitely good to get here first, and don't feel weird about telling anyone and everyone that you are looking. It's definitely a word of mouth sort of town. You'll have an easier time finding a place without a pet, but I've heard not great things about the apartment complexes, so I would steer clear of those and see if you can find something that is attached to a house or is a condo.

Happy to provide some lessons learned from my experience. If you're interested just send me a private message so we don't clog up the thread.

Good luck!
Charging $1800 for the Frontier Suites efficiencies is criminal. Must be the mines renting the rooms. Definitely not worth it. Any chance that was the price for their regular rooms?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 AM

18 posts, read 26,554 times
That was the monthly rate. Not sure what the daily rate is. The monthly goes from $1200 non-summer to $1800 summer. And I agree that it is not worth that at all. The staff were pretty awful. Two out of three pieces of workout equipment were broken for the past several months. The parking lot is always full and there are lots of people that hang out around there, walls are paper thin, rooms were never really cleaned...I could go on and on. Unfortunately with the lack of good, affordable housing being advertised, you're sort of stuck when you first arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: