Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:45 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,859,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelativeUnknown View Post
Wow, didn't expect the negativity, It just fuels the Fire.
I'm A 35 year old carpenter by trade (built standard construction home's and log home's for over 7 years)
I have all so live remotely (in Montana).
Not trying to sound cocky, I Know it will be Very Difficult.
But, I Know we'll be just fine.

Two Years Till Fairbanks!
If your property is muskeg none of that matters. You can't defeat muskeg with the power of positive thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Or a spruce swamp.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-23-2017 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 10:33 PM

406 posts, read 755,957 times
Quote:
I'm A 35 year old carpenter by trade (built standard construction home's and log home's for over 7 years)

NOT negativity..................... Reality for every 1 that shows up and makes it there are 10 or 20 that don't.

So after a while folks get a bit coarse when they are talking to people that dream the great dream!

Old 08-24-2017, 06:18 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
Quote:

Speaking from experience. The longer you wait the less likely it is that you will go.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:35 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Speaking from experience. The longer you wait the less likely it is that you will go.
I'll agree. Holding back for family issues and financial issues one year turned into another delay for said reasons (different but same basic thing) the next and 9 years later instead of building a cabin in Alaska I have one half done in the most isolated part of Vermont I could find. Not quite my old dream but on the bright side I can make maple sugar and grow a lot of fruit trees and I generally take winters entirely off to spend hunting, trapping, and exploring the "big" woods of Essex County, VT (by Alaska standards they ain't big but it's the local term ). Considering a lengthy visit to Alaska in the next year or two to see the place again if finances allow but moving there isn't happening anytime soon. It's a place one never forgets once they've seen it.

So RelativeUnknown: I highly recommend getting in a site visit (spend a night or two at least) at minimum ASAP to your land, seeing what you have, so you can formulate a plan and have a better feeling what you're really dealing with there. If the land is good, great. If it's swamp, at least now you won't be blowing money moving to something that will never work later and can look for better land. I did a quick visit of the land I owned in Alaska before buying. Not a long enough one but I knew it was dry ground, had some timber on it (likely not enough for a log cabin of good quality so I knew I had to budget for a big lumber purchase), and sure was going to be a lot of work to build on.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:21 PM

9 posts, read 6,992 times
Talking Purchased Lots on Deadman Lake

Hello everyone. I just purchased 2 lots on Block 4 lots 3 and 4. No I haven't seen it. Lol, isn't the first time I have purchased site unseen. My last 10 acres is in Utah, and overlooks Zion National Forest. Its remote and I love it. This is my first piece in Alaska, but not my last. I have visited around the Anchorage area a few years ago and I loved it. Plan is to get some friends to go up and fly in from Fairbanks. (Have a friend that has an airplane there). Going to visit to see the lay of the land, what trees are there and whether I want to build a cabin there. Grew up in Idaho and live in Washington now. Love to hunt, fish, and love the outdoors. Anything you can tell me about these lots, I would appreciate it. Pictures of the land or videos would even be better. I have read all the posts, cant wait to get there and see the area. Can't wait to meet new friends and experience the area.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:16 PM

I just came in form there today. I'm still here and there.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:03 PM

Default Purchased Lots on Deadman Lake

Will be heading there at the end of May, planning on making first trip there.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfpduffy View Post
Will be heading there at the end of May, planning on making first trip there.
Have not been out this winter. I need to get out there!

Old 01-27-2019, 11:16 AM

If you get out there can you take some pictures for me. I was planning a camping trip with me and a buddy and now my kids, nephew and brother all want to join us. Trying to make arrangements for two and now it may be about 8 of us going. Told them I want to build a cabin but I want to see the property before I haul a bunch of material in there. My buddy Dave has a friend who is a bush pilot in Fairbanks and we have asked him to go out a check out the property but haven't heard back from him. Really want to see whats on the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska