Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:50 PM

4 posts, read 9,059 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I"m in the process of accepting a travel assignment to Barrow this summer. 13 weeks starting roughly the first two weeks of July.
My first question is what type of gear should I buy? I realize it gets mighty cold there and would like to be prepared.
My second question is what do you all do for fun? I will be working three on and four off and am interested in exploring, because this is a once in a lifetime chance for me and I'm excited.
Last question, I am being provided with housing but will have no car. how large is the area and will I be able to get to a store for necessities without a car?
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
There is someone else on the forum that works at the hosptial in Barrow. They should be along shortly. For your time period I wouldn't get too carried away with the winter gear. You won't need a sub-zero arctic parka, yet. Yes, you can walk to the grocery store or take a cab if it gets to cold. The main part of Barrow is all within walking distance. Enjoy it.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:51 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
If I counted weeks correctly that means you be leaving by the 1st of October... Record Low is 1F for September with an average low of 26F.... October record low is -32F but I doubt that was set Oct. 1.... Although I could be wrong.

NO firsthand experience, that is what the NWS has on their site.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:16 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
You want to talk to Wynternight. Heck you'll probably work with him

Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
You want to talk to Wynternight. Heck you'll probably work with him
I'm on my lunch break now and thus short on time but I'll get back to and answer your questions tomorrow.

And yes, we will at least meet, if not work together.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:26 AM

Hi!
Thanks for the responses! Looking forward to talking to anyone! Heck, it would be nice to know someone before I get there. Glad to hear unless of freak occurrences I won't have to do the sub zero dance.I will admit, I have never been in weather that cold, but I don't whine .....much.....I am an avid backpacker and don't mind getting my hands dirty. i grew up in a diverse area, so being the only caucasian is nothing new to me and in all honesty, part of the reason I'm considering taking this assignment over Hawaii is to experience a whole new culture that resides within the US. How often does one get that opportunity?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 AM

Well, so much for that. seems they went with someone else, I missed out by an hour my recruiter and his staff apologized because they didn't submit me quick enough. Damn, i'm really bummed, i was truly excited about experiencing this. Well good luck to you all, stay warm and give her hell! I would have been much more fun

Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 PM

31 posts, read 106,541 times
Default Bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpaidnurse View Post
Well, so much for that. seems they went with someone else, I missed out by an hour my recruiter and his staff apologized because they didn't submit me quick enough. Damn, i'm really bummed, i was truly excited about experiencing this. Well good luck to you all, stay warm and give her hell! I would have been much more fun
Don't feel bad. If not Barrow, have your head-hunter find you a summer gig in Fairbanks, Juneau or Ketchikan for the summer. Don't give up, yet. Or, work with another agency. Summer work is common because the departments have to cover for vacations and staff up for the seasonal workforce and tourists.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 PM

yAY! WHILE i won't get to play in Barrow, it looks like i'm up for a gig in Nome, which isn't bad at all. I"m wanting a smaller area than the big cities, not to say I wouldn't take the job in a heartbeat if it were there. So thanks for the friendly welcome to this community, and now ...anyone with info on NOME?

Old 06-13-2012, 04:07 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Everything you want to know about Nome can be found by watching Bering Sea Gold.

Bering Sea Gold : Discovery Channel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska