U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM

6,381 posts, read 12,236,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
All the Wrangell search & rescue are still on scene, several personnel from nearby communities are still helping when they can, plus friends and family are still searching, both on foot and boats. Colin often took long solitary journeys in his favorite paradise, the Stikine river wilderness. Home from the military for just a short while, the thing he just had to do first was refresh his soul in the place he loved best. His kayak was found upside down trapped in a raging log jam near the bank of the river, his gear bag finally discovered strapped to the kayak, but we all know if anyone could make it out alive it would be Colin.
We've had a really cold spring, barely above 50 and very little snowmelt upriver. The weekend Colin disappeared we had a 3-day stretch of 85 degrees, melting the snow upriver and turning it instantly into a raging torrent. It is so high and rough now that no one can even get to the log jam to retrieve anything, only take photos.
Everyone is still clinging to that thread of hope but the reality is also sinking in that Colin is probably gone. We also know that if the river took him we may never find him. we're all so so sad
Thank you all so very much for your prayers, your positive thoughts and your kindness.
Gramma

Heard about him on the radio yesterday, still holding out hope that he is just holed up somewhere and you get back with good news. Sadly, the longer it goes on the bleaker it looks at times, but there have been many cases where someone was written off as "gone", then they show up out of the blue and wonder what all the fuss was about. This sounds like that type of kid!

So until I hear otherwise, he is still out there waiting for a ride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 08:56 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,359,070 times
I'm so sorry Gramma. I know your hearts are breaking. You did say it though, if anyone can make it out, it would be him. On the other hand, if he didn't make it out, you know he went doing what he loved. Small comfort I know, but much better then some other options there were a real possibility for him. Hugs.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 PM

178 posts, read 203,770 times
Praying for you and your friends.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 AM

6,381 posts, read 12,236,933 times
Any news?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,474,705 times
x2, hoping it turns out well girl....

Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 AM

860 posts, read 1,750,395 times
During the 4th of Juy week the population of Wrangell at least doubles. Everyone who has ever lived here and moved away, has friends or family here comes home for the 4th, 10-year Wrangell high school reunions are held on the 4th. One year a big cruise line brought 3,000 passengers to our town on the 4th...boy were we __issed! But we were nice.
Since Colin would be here this year, the Buness family and out of state friends gathered in scores the last weeks of June to plan a joyful reunion. Instead a memorial was held in City Park.
This kid was 25. Even in school he was always talking his buddies into remote camping trips in the wilderness, especially in winter. At 20 he spent a year in Kuwait, then a year in Iraq. He runs a mile for every year of age on his birthday, he made two trips to Europe, one to Japan. He bicycled alone from Seattle to Los Angeles to Phoenix and Salt Lake City. He canoed home to Wrangell all the way from Bellingham, Washington. He completed National Guard classes to become an airborne paratrooper.
What this kid loved most was his own backyard in the Alaska wilderness. Even on the day it took him forever he would have stood to gaze in wonder at all the wild country before him and think "I may be the only person to leave tracks in this great place."
All that was found was a footprint and his kayak trapped in that log jam. I haven't been to town since the 4th so I don't know if it broke loose or not. I assume someone would call if it had but the chances of finding anything of Colin are slim. That part will be hard for a lot of people for a long time, wondering when or if the river will give up it's prize.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 AM

3,843 posts, read 3,796,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
During the 4th of Juy week the population of Wrangell at least doubles. Everyone who has ever lived here and moved away, has friends or family here comes home for the 4th, 10-year Wrangell high school reunions are held on the 4th. One year a big cruise line brought 3,000 passengers to our town on the 4th...boy were we __issed! But we were nice.
Since Colin would be here this year, the Buness family and out of state friends gathered in scores the last weeks of June to plan a joyful reunion. Instead a memorial was held in City Park.
This kid was 25. Even in school he was always talking his buddies into remote camping trips in the wilderness, especially in winter. At 20 he spent a year in Kuwait, then a year in Iraq. He runs a mile for every year of age on his birthday, he made two trips to Europe, one to Japan. He bicycled alone from Seattle to Los Angeles to Phoenix and Salt Lake City. He canoed home to Wrangell all the way from Bellingham, Washington. He completed National Guard classes to become an airborne paratrooper.
What this kid loved most was his own backyard in the Alaska wilderness. Even on the day it took him forever he would have stood to gaze in wonder at all the wild country before him and think "I may be the only person to leave tracks in this great place."
All that was found was a footprint and his kayak trapped in that log jam. I haven't been to town since the 4th so I don't know if it broke loose or not. I assume someone would call if it had but the chances of finding anything of Colin are slim. That part will be hard for a lot of people for a long time, wondering when or if the river will give up it's prize.

I still hold out some hope, slim as it may be, but if things don't turn out well it sounds like he did more living in 25 years then some people do in 50.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 AM

2,773 posts, read 2,491,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post

I still hold out some hope, slim as it may be, but if things don't turn out well it sounds like he did more living in 25 years then some people do in 50.
Ditto.

May God have mercy on his soul wherever he may be and may his family find comfort in the knowledge that Colin lived life on his terms and that more abundantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska