U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM

14,943 posts, read 25,051,891 times

Advertisements

Soldotna has just expanded the hospital. Might be an opportunity there. Also a handfull of homes for the elderly around. I know they need help. Also try www.jobs.state.ak.us/ for something. Come spring jobs open up...but population increases. Get it while the getting is good!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 PM

6 posts, read 23,401 times
Cool Here is one Calif. girl, on her way!!!

WOW!!! great posts on this site. Obviously I'm a newbie..... Rance, you have a great sense of humor, LOVE IT!!! I am moving the first part of March, into Soldotna. I have visited there about 4 or five times in the last year and just can't stop thinking about it. So, here I come. Take care and maybe I will see you around that area sometime. By the way, GREAT ice fishing picture. Last time I was up there about 3 weeks ago, my friend took me ice fishing for the first time. We went out on Hidden Lake. Unfourtunately, we only caught fish that resembled "bait."

Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 PM

Ahhh...Hidden Lake. Part of my playground! We were at Egumen Lake (across from Watson Lake) and did fairly well. Try some of the lakes out on Swanson River/Swan Lake Roads. Turn at Sterling elementary school and you can go for 20 miles out to the middle of nowhere. At least a dozen lakes to choose from. Might even see lynx, coyote or wolf!
And if you stop into Magpies Pizza (across the street from the truck weigh station)...if I'm there I'll buy you a beer.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:30 PM

6 posts, read 23,401 times
Smile Just Me Again!!!

GREAT!!! I'll probably take you up on that offer...... Thanks for the inside dish, on where to go for ice fishing, can't wait!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,951 times
pictures are breath taking. Awesome. My kind of land. It surely does beckon

Old 02-17-2007, 07:14 AM

252 posts, read 680,605 times
Rance, maybe u could start some kind of dating service!, get us in touch with all the single men over there.......??? It sounds like someplace I OUGHT to be, and thinking other single women are thinking the same!!! hehehehe

Old 02-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Being single...I don't think I qualify to run a dating service.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:35 PM

12 posts, read 23,717 times
Wondering what witty comments I came make after Rance said that. Maybe it's like buying a used car sight unseen. We can have Rance take it for a test drive and tell us how it handles......(grin)

Old 02-17-2007, 03:58 PM

I've had great luck with the cars in my life...but not with the women!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:34 PM

366 posts, read 34,005 times
Well...not to discourage anyone, but there is another side to the coin that any single women thinking about coming up here looking for a man really need to know.

First of all, put Men in Trees back in the squawk box where it belongs. This ain't no tv show here.

Second of all--they are human beings too (men). Don't come up here and get yourself one if you're just going to wimp out in January and go crying back to the lower 48. Been on a few ferries and airplanes where I've met up with several women whining up a storm about how happily ever in the cabin in the woods wasn't supposed to include any sort of hardship. I've tended bar in enough parts of rural Alaska to have seen a few too many times the results of the old " she just couldn't take the winters here " syndrome.

Live up here for a year in all seasons for it's own sake before you get too involved with anyone, and don't harbor any fantasies about dragging your catch back to the lower 48 when and if you bag him.

Those single females among you might google Talkeetna Bachelor's Society---they put out a catalogue of available men and have an auction every year, though from what I've heard it's winding down. They auction off the guys and afterwards you get a drink and a dance with the one you buy, anything more is by mutual consent, and the proceeds go to a battered women's shelter in Palmer. There's also the Alaska Men magazine but that seems to have gotten really commercial over the years.

By the way, I'm female and have all my teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska