Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM

43 posts, read 138,658 times

Advertisements

Hello Alaska!

* * * * It's been a while since I posted in this forum, and it's been an eternity since I last visited Alaska. I am in the midst of planning my September vacation, and was hoping some of my friends here might offer suggestions. As this will be my fourth vacation to Alaska (third to ANC/FAI), I was hoping for some new hidden enclaves to explore. *I will be flying into ANC on Saturday September 15th, and flying out of ANC on Sunday evening, *the 23rd. As I have visited prior, I have already seen Girdwood, Whittier, Seward, Portage Valley and AWCC, Eklutna, *ERNC and Thunderbird Falls, a lot of urban Anchorage (though not the Alaska Native Heritage Center) and Fairbanks, etc, I was hoping for some other suggestions.

I have already identified that I'd like to possibly explore the following: Talkeetna (possibly staying at the Princess Mt Mckinley in Trapper Creek for two nights), maybe Homer and Hope (I *have never been to explore either... but what *exactly* to see? Is it worth it to drive out to these places?). I was hoping to kayak the Katchemak (or even out of Seward somewhere), but can't find any outfitter available anywhere on the Peninsula, that late into the season. *I am planning to revisit Seward again, mainly because I plan to do the MM Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise, which would be new for me. And I LOVE to hike ExitGlacier, so I'll do that again. But what else?*

Finally, I'm debating whether to make the tedious (but beautiful!) sojourn up to Fairbanks. I always visit, in hopes of glimpsing the Northern Lights, but I'm debating whether to include it this time secondary to these other places I also want to visit. I haven't seen UAF's Museum of the North (or ventured north of town into the bush, like Chena for the Hot Springs, Coldfoot or Manley Hot Springs) both of which are on my bucket-list, but I'm still weighing it all out. I'd rather not spend my entire vacation in the car, but if needed, the scenery still makes it worth it.*

I prefer lots of the outdoors. HIKING! It's why I continually choose Alaska for my vacation destination. I'm big on hiking and outdoor recreation, and would love any ideas on new places, activities and events to experience.

Also, I realize lodging can be sketchy. Any suggestions for reliability and affordability? I'm just looking at safe, affordable and basic lodging for any of these locations. Nothing fancy; just clean and inexpensive.*

Thanks so very much, in advance. I can't wait for Alaska in autumn!!!! The vibrant excitement and adventure of Alaska literally breathes life back into me.

Vicky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Oops I meant to post this in the general Alaska (versus Fairbanks) forum. Can a Mod kindly move it? So sorry, and thanks.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Is anyone able to help, please?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 PM

7,501 posts, read 5,749,500 times
If I were you I would have flown into Anchorage and out of Fairbanks. This would make it much easier to take a road trip since you wouldn't have to drive back to Anchorage. There is a lot to see between Anchorage and Fairbanks you mentioned some of them already. A night in Talkeenta would be interesting for you. It's very laid back and relaxing with some awesome views if the weather is good. A night or two stay at the Gracious House on the Denali Highway in the middle of September would be a nice trip. The blueberrys may still be good and you can pick buckets of them.. After the Gracious house I would hit Denali for a bus ride back into the park. That time of year is stunning (if they are still running not sure). Chena Hot Springs is a definite stop, you could hit the pipeline above Fairbanks and get some oil education (at least you can say you saw it). Take a short hop up the Haul road and turn around to say you have been there. That time of the year is the end of tourist season and the beginning of winter so your going to have to fill your time with the outdoors.. Maybe find a road house along the way just to say you stayed at one.. Caribou are on the move so you should take your camera.. In fact, a lot of critters are on the move because of winter so you should see a fair amount of them.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Unfortunetly you are arriving on the day one hears a huge zipper zipping up as everything at Denali closes for the season. However I would still suggest taking a day drive to the park. Heading North past Talkeetna the fall colors are nice to see. You might check and see when the lodges around the park close for the season. Usually after Labor Day the prices go way down.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Head North on the Parks Highway, stop in Talkeetna, then head up the highway to Denali National Park, you can still drive back to Savage River in the park if the snow hasn't shut off the road, that is close to the end of the lottery of people going back into the park so you're pretty good shot at not getting much farther than the River.

From there you can head up to Fairbanks and travel up the Haul road to see the Yukon River, go to Chena Hot Springs and soak in the hot water, go to Valdez and take the Ferry to Whittier and then drive South to Seward and then Homer and then back to Anchorage, big loop, and depends on the Ferry's schedule, but very doable in such a short time!

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:47 PM

7,501 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Head North on the Parks Highway, stop in Talkeetna, then head up the highway to Denali National Park, you can still drive back to Savage River in the park if the snow hasn't shut off the road, that is close to the end of the lottery of people going back into the park so you're pretty good shot at not getting much farther than the River.

From there you can head up to Fairbanks and travel up the Haul road to see the Yukon River, go to Chena Hot Springs and soak in the hot water, go to Valdez and take the Ferry to Whittier and then drive South to Seward and then Homer and then back to Anchorage, big loop, and depends on the Ferry's schedule, but very doable in such a short time!

Good luck!
Loop idea is a good one.. Still think she should hit the Gracious House though.. The Denali Highway is awesome that time of year.. Another idea is to take the Ferry from Valdez to Whittier so you can take a short peek at Prince Williams Sound.. Take some binoculars and check out the high end of the mountains. You will find Bear feeding on berry's and probably see some deer along the shore line.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Hi Vickie,

Forget Princess in Trapper Creek (it'll be closing down by the time you get there, and it's quite a ways from Talkeetna anyway -- 60 or 70 miles or so).

Give the Talkeetna Roadhouse a call and see what they've got for lodging -- you'll be right in town that way and will have more reasonable rates. If they're booked, they might be able to refer you to another local place.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:06 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,921 times
Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM

You all are so fantastic. Thank you for so generously giving of your time and expertise! I will update in a bit, with the revised plans. Have a great Sunday, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska