U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM

14 posts, read 9,143 times
Default Juneau - once you get here....

I've finally settled into a new apartment after about 3 months of house-sitting, pet-sitting, and living on sofas. Yay! Anyway I was trying to get situated, which includes setting up cable, and I found out my landlord does not want me to put a satellite dish on the house. Fair enough, but does anyone have any recommendations for non-satellite cable tv providers? Or is GCI the only one? I'm now starting to understand why a lot of folks either don't have tv or subscribe to hulu and netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 PM

5,154 posts, read 8,730,777 times
GCI is your only option for cable. Likewise, if you want cable modem for internet.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,437,607 times
What are the rents like in Juneau? I would be looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom in a nice area with shopping close by (walking distance) and a good school.

I know that's a pretty general request but I hope someone can give me input. I'm currently living in NY and want to get out.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Wow, NY to Juneau will be quite the adjustment. I came from a city with a couple hundred thousand, and I'm still adjusting to the size and remoteness.

Rents can be pretty expensive, and finding a place to rent can be a bit of a challenge. When I first got here, I was staying at a hotel for two months, but then summer prices kicked in ($1800/month) so I did some house-sitting and stayed with friends for another month before I was able to finally move into my place. I would definitely look at craigslist and contact folks asap, if you see something you like. I would also put the word out with folks you may know in Juneau or wherever you'll be working. Juneau is a very word of mouth town. As for rents, a decent 2-3 bedroom will be around $1500-2000/month depending on where you live, what - if any - utilities are included, and how nice a place you want.

There isn't a ton of shopping in Juneau beyond the cruise ship shops downtown. There are a few malls, but they are VERY small. I've been ordering most of my stuff online and shipping it here. Usually works out to be a better deal, particularly if you want something specific and you can get free shipping. I don't know much about schools, but there aren't many so you won't have too much to pick from.

Hopefully that is helpful. If you have any other questions or would like to chat a bit about the move, feel free to send me a message. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
GCI is your only option for cable. Likewise, if you want cable modem for internet.
AKCK - thanks for the help. That is what I figured.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,101,341 times
Put the dish on a yard stand....

Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Threw that out as an option but no go. They don't like the dishes and think they are unsightly. Fair enough, it is their house. GCI it is!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM

275 posts, read 241,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiinjuneau16 View Post
Fair enough, it is their house. GCI it is!

Better known in my office as: Gouged for Cable and Internet

Old 07-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Default Pet-sitting

Anyone know the going rate for pet-sitting? A friend of a friend (I don't actually know the person) needs me to pet-sit for 2 cats for 2 weeks, and she wants me to stay at her house, so I'm essentially house-sitting too. Any ideas on the going rate?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:56 PM

5,154 posts, read 8,730,777 times
Some people think they're doing you a favor by giving you a place to stay, so they pay $0. We on the other hand, we paid one of our son's friends about $15-20/day to pet/house sit our two dogs. I think there's more work with dogs as ours are fed twice a day and have to be let out. Depending on the person's requirements, cats can be easier and maybe cheaper to pet-sit.

BTW, our youngest was on a foreign studies trip to New Zealand earlier this year. He absolutely loved Wellington and would go to graduate school there if he had the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska