U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2012, 05:33 AM

6,271 posts, read 8,027,210 times

Advertisements

Started this thread about four years ago when I was running around the Arctic Ocean in high speed boats doing Oilfield work and on many occations hauling Biologist and other "Like" experts on the Arctic.

Am I an expert on Polar Bears? Nope, but I had a camera and took hundreds of photos of them, which clearly doesn't jive with what people down South are being told. We normally saw one or two different polar bears a day. The thread was closed due to the Eco Terrorist claiming that the oil field was distroying the Wildlife there, when in fact it has been thriving and even in some of the places they are giving "tours" of the polar bears. Before the pipeline was built in the late sixties and early seventies, the same people tried to stop the Alaska Pipeling from being built with the same slant, turns out the wildlife in the Oil field at the time had about five thousand Caribou in the area, and after the oil production started, it went to about 25,000... Not bad. If you read the thread, you will see that the same folks are still complaining that the animals are dying off when in fact they are increasing and contracting as they always have in cycles. The one story I think Redjacket posted was about the Caribou are grouping together in some 300,000+ numbers, but again the spokesman claims they are getting smaller by 5 percent a year.... but the numbers keep going up, so it is clear that they are very slanted in their views.

Photos: 300,000 Caribou Huddle Together To Avoid Insects - Yahoo! News

Anyway, the Polar Bear thread starts out with the following beging of the thread. There are lots of critter photos there as well as polar bears.... Hope you enjoy it for the new people here that are learning about Alaska.

Figured I would start this post, getting tired of the "Tree Hugger" type that keeps blasting away with false facts about Alaska and the oil fields and their attempts to stop all exploration here.

First of all, in the states, you guys have been misled about ANWR, it is a very harsh place, same as the Prudhoe Bay Oil Fields. They claimed that the Caribou would die off when they started drilling... The heard went from about 5,000 when they started in the early 70's to about 25,000+- today...

I work on the water up here in the oil fields on boats (summer the water is open for about three to four months, we get about two to three polar bear sightings a day, I get lot of photos and so far, we haven't seen a "Starving" Polar Bear.

The reason they are "Endangered" is so the environmentalist can shut down oil exploration, same as they did with the spotted owl for logging. It wasn't endangered, but by the time people came to their senses, most of the companies were out of business. The current population of Polar Bears in Alaska has been increasing for the last thirty years to the point there is almost too many, that doesn't mean they were going to be hunted, that means they will over kill their food base and starve until they make a cycle like all animals do.

You are paying some four to five bucks a gallon, ANWR is not the same as they show you in photos, it is flat, barren and the oil footprint is a small spot on a map. The Democrats claim it will take ten years to bring off shore oil to market.... Well point of fact is that it took three and a half years to built the Trans Alaska Pipeline to bring oil to market, that was 800 miles, two mountain Ranges and some two major rivers (Including the Yukon) and thousands of streams and creeks. They tell you ten years so that you will believe that allowing oil drilling will not be any kind of an effect on prices.

Well Bush said drill and the price of oil dropped thirty dollars on the fears that we would, they are waiting to find out if congress will allow it too, if they don't then the speculators will drive the prices though the roof and ten bucks a gallon will really kill you. The taxes that the Democrats are wanting to nail the oil companies for will be passed on to you at the pumps, they don't pay taxes, you do...

Anyway, would like to hear of all the views on this, would love to inject some truth to those that fully believe that the Polar Bears are in fact going extinct or endanger of doing so do to the false claim of "Global Warming" which is now "Climate Change" because the warming has slowed or even stopped... which of course a fraud. They swim like fish and will swim for hundreds of miles. The photos of some polar bears standing on a small iceberg and being endangered to get people to donate for a wildlife fund is a tear jerking scam. They use the ice to take a break, if the ice disappeared, the seals would haul up on the beaches like they do everywhere else, then the polar bears would eat them there too. Just like they do to the Caribou when they come ashore for something a bit different.

To read the rest of the thread, click on the below link

Endangered Polar Bears.... NOT!

Last edited by starlite9; 07-21-2012 at 06:04 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 AM

1,725 posts, read 1,974,822 times
Energy development as long as it's done with responsibility is ok in this man's book. The problem is 1% of the slash and burn type developers destroy the image of the 99% who do it right.

Serious envy on my part that you were able to see all that in your life time...You have had a special life.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Energy development as long as it's done with responsibility is ok in this man's book. The problem is 1% of the slash and burn type developers destroy the image of the 99% who do it right.

Serious envy on my part that you were able to see all that in your life time...You have had a special life.

Yes you are right about the 1%!

But in my life I just never wanted to settle for "Average" or "Status Quoe"! Everyone has seen a sunrise or sunset, very few people accually "watch" them, I do! Life is very special and living in a rut is something I have aways hated, it is great for those that like routine, I simply don't!

I wish I could drag folks out to places I've been to see the real world and not that of books and TV. It is neat to watch a seal being born, or killer whales eat them, that is the real world and it may sound brutal, but it is life both ebb and flow.

Take some time and go watch a sunset, the colors changing across the sky and clouds as they dance across the sky!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:02 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,324,036 times
Thanks for the photos and the opinion Starlite9... I think responsible energy development is ok as well. I think we still need to continue to look for efficiencies wherever we can. Oil will always be needed and the longer we can draw out the world reserves of it the better... As you said, populations come and go with cycles. I fear for what will happen when we really reach the end of oil. Hopefully that won't be the case for hundreds of years.

ANWR one way or the other will get drilled....

Old 07-21-2012, 04:24 PM

We need to look at other sources of energy as well but not the current scams that are being run! Giving millions to companies that donated to a Presidential campaign is almost criminal, well it probibly is. What needs to be done is get the government out of our lives and let people roll up their sleeves and get to work. We have wind, tidal, solar, nuclear, coal and other options that need to have common sense, not just the left screaming "No", they have zero ideas but want to plug a hybrid car into a plug that uses coal, gas or other resource to produce power, just clueless!

150 years ago wood, whale oil and coal were our energy resources. In the future we may just burn water, it is by the way Oxygen and Hydrogen which power the sun!

But our government is not an asset to any of this, it is just another roadblock! The governments only Constatutional mandate is to protect the United States, from both foreign and domestic enemies, yet they are now turning into our biggest hurtle to a bright future.

The Polar bears are a prime example, they were put on an endanger list, not because they were in fact endangered, but as an attempt to stop drilling for oil I the arctic, and that Global Warming will melt the ice.... For cripes sake, they are bears, when the snow/ice melt they just walk on land like their cousins the grizzly bear does. They do by the way, interbreed now and then!

Old 07-21-2012, 05:59 PM

336 posts, read 215,364 times
Here's something you might find interesting:

National Ignition Facility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This program uses lasers to compress a hydrogen pellet (fusion reactor). They've been increasing the power level for years, they expect this year to reach a point where more energy is given off than required to initiate fusion.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:52 PM

That facility was on CNN today...

That would be the ticket to energy issues if they can figure it out the rest of the way. The next hurdle will be storage. Battery technology has not improved much over the past 20 years. Although that will present some budget challenges for Alaska, when oil demand plummets.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 PM

Well they were looking at a small self contained nuclear plant by Galena that would have run the town for some fifty years, but that got shut down by the tree huggers as well. So they are still reliant on oil products.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 AM

Interesting...

They now have really small size (comparatively), efficient, and safer units. Not that the units currently in use are not safe, but newer materials, design technology, monitoring technology, and lessons learned, would be implemented. (and IMHO should be) I wonder what all those wood, coal, natural gas, and oil burners due to the environment - directly and indirectly. I have no experience with them other than reading some articles about new reactor designs, but it makes sense. Look at the all the improvements to the automobile in the past couple of decades.

If they were really for the environment they would see the tremendous benefits nuclear power when done right can bring to it. All those trees left to go hug (and in my case, all those trees left to filter the air for us to breathe and shade to sit under in the summer)

Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM

1,725 posts, read 1,974,822 times
There should be a 1% energy surtax on all energy and gas sales with this money going to long term research...At this time there is no research being done by the electric and power companies today. A good example of this is Bell labs where a lot of our current technology for electronics and telecommunications equipment came from...

A huge ramp up in energy research is needed.

Small scale nuke reacters under 500 mw have a future in this country...

What I would advocate for right now is to build 200 to 250 new reactors which would provide the 24x7 base load needed for the next 20 years and would reduce our carbon footprint. Also nuke reactors pay great wages and are great wildlife refuges...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska