Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 17,758 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a voluntary military assignment in Ft. Greely, AK. If I take this assignment I'll be assigned there for a few years. I'll most likely be living on-post. As for my situation, I'm young, single, with no dependents. I'd like to know more about the general area, local communities and Fairbanks which is where I'll likely be spending much of my down-time. I'm also a bit of the outdoors type and plan on doing some hunting, fishing, skiing, and snowmobiling in my off-time.

How do these communities view/treat soldiers? Would you consider taking this assignment if you were in my situation?

Any helpful advice or information will be appreciated.

Last edited by ConsideringRelocation; 10-01-2007 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,429 times
Well Greely is only one of 4 military instilations within 150 miles. So we get along fine with most of you young men. A former Seargent Major on FT. WW. told me the fort had a nick name as golf and hunt club. Yes there is lots of outdoors things to do! The drive to Fairbanks is a little over 100 miles, or about 2 hours normal driving. I think they have a shuttle also. Come on up, you wont be disapointed.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:48 PM

I had a feeling that the area would be an outdoorsman's paradise and I'm told that the post is nice. I'm looking forward to doing some serious snowmobiling too(which I haven't done in quite some time).

How is Fairbanks, anyway? Is there plenty for me to do there when I'm suffering from cabin fever or feel the need to take in the night life? And how is Delta Junction?

How do the seasons run there? I know I'll need to get a heavy-duty 4WD which I plan to do anyway and prepare it for the climate and road conditions. I currently live in the Northeastern US and am not unfamiliar with the cold though admittedly I've never been that far North and have never been to AK.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringRelocation View Post
I had a feeling that the area would be an outdoorsman's paradise and I'm told that the post is nice. I'm looking forward to doing some serious snowmobiling too(which I haven't done in quite some time).

How is Fairbanks, anyway? Is there plenty for me to do there when I'm suffering from cabin fever or feel the need to take in the night life? And how is Delta Junction?

How do the seasons run there? I know I'll need to get a heavy-duty 4WD which I plan to do anyway and prepare it for the climate and road conditions. I currently live in the Northeastern US and am not unfamiliar with the cold though admittedly I've never been that far North and have never been to AK.
An example of serious snowmachining would be Arctic Man Ski and Sno-Go Classic
The Hodoo mountains have great riding, along with trails near Greely.

We are just now hitting freezeup. No snow as yet, though above 2500 feet there is. If your into snowboarding the ski hill at Ft. WW does a nice job on jumps, rails and such. I think you will find enough to do in Fairbanks, but can't say first hand about Delta. Just think typical medium sized TOWN. Being the hub for the interior we have most everything one may need or want.

Before you run out and buy the Dodge, Ford, Chevy Super Duty Monster Jacked Up 4x4. Decide what you really need it for. Most Alaskans in this area, prefer 4x4 or all wheel drives. That doesn't mean there are not lots of front wheel drives, and other cars out there. We just like the extra traction provided when driving in the winter. Remember if you buy a pickup you will be driving around empty 90% of the time. I used to drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Great rig for this country, then so is the Subaru 4x4s, and Toyota 4x4s. Problem with these rigs are they don't pull the toys very well. I now drive a F150 which is ok for all the stuff I tow and things I haul, but still am empty that 90% of the time. You will be living 100 miles from town and at 14mpg in 4x4 and $3.00+ a gallon you can see why you may want something more economical. If you do decide on a pickup get the club cab with the rear seat. This holds your extra winter gear for the road trips and lets you bring a couple extra folks along and still leave some room for your sled in the back.

One last thing I would suggest, Now I may get blasted for this but you should consider if you decied to buy new is to get your truck locally. The reason is they order them with the things that make them work well up here. Like limited slip rearends, towing packages, extra heater packages as appropriate.

There are also a couple of good used car dealers here that give good value for your $.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 PM

I plan on buying used and adding those things myself. I have a good amount of time to decide on this assignment and to prepare. I thought the roads got worse than that though. I didn't think a Subaru or other "lighter" vehicle could fare well. As you can tell, I'm working off of assumption here.

I'm considering something like an older full size Blazer and adding everything I need or want for the climate and region.

Last edited by ConsideringRelocation; 10-01-2007 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
MMmmmm, Delta Meats reindeer sausage.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: