Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,489 times

Advertisements

Hello to all Alaskans,

I am trying to find out where a good place is in Alaska to move to and live in. I have two little girls my Wife and a dog. We want to be in a some what remote area but not to remote. And maybe on some lakefront property where there is room to grow and build a House with anywhere from 10-100 acres. We love the outdoors and wildlife to the fullest and want our two youngest to experiece it as they grow up. Dont need to worry about employment as we own our own buisness. we love camping hunting fishing riding our horses and love our snowmobiles. But i have only been up there for a short time (about six hours) while returning home from a deployment with the army and i dont know the state at all other than it is just amazing and beautiful. So if you could since you live there and are from the state and know it way better than i ever could i am looking for some advice please and thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 AM

275 posts, read 577,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurf Herder113 View Post
Hello to all Alaskans,

I am trying to find out where a good place is in Alaska to move to and live in. I have two little girls my Wife and a dog. We want to be in a some what remote area but not to remote. And maybe on some lakefront property where there is room to grow and build a House with anywhere from 10-100 acres. We love the outdoors and wildlife to the fullest and want our two youngest to experiece it as they grow up. Dont need to worry about employment as we own our own buisness..
What is your definition of remote? Remote for some is a location off the road system, while remote for others is living in the hillside area of Anchorage.

What is your housing budget? Will your business be sustainable from your remote location?

Quote:
But i have only been up there for a short time (about six hours) while returning home from a deployment with the army and i dont know the state at all other than it is just amazing and beautiful. So if you could since you live there and are from the state and know it way better than i ever could i am looking for some advice please and thank you for your time. .
Begging your parson sir, but Alaska is a huge place.

You need to narrow things down a bit. Where were you thinking about moving too. How averse are you to the weather here. Alaska is beautiful on a layover, however you might have a a different story when you are stuck in a remote location, buried in snow, with -40 temps outside.

Here are two links to start you off with:
Visitor, State of Alaska
Alaskan Information Links

Last edited by globetraveler; 08-12-2012 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Added forum Link

Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 AM

Love just about all weather was with military in all sorts of conditions. The coldest was about -28 in South Korea and the hottest was 128 in Iraq. Was looking at the Wasilla area. Family and are from Illinois and spent time all over the world due to the military. With my girls yeah we have to be careful with the cold of course and that is exactly why i have asked this question because i dont know what i dont know you know lol. As for weather for me and my wife we are very capable of handling some pretty nasty stuff yes of course we would have to expeirence it and then adapt from there. Thank you so much for your post and your advince it is greatly appreciated

Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 AM

Remote - nearest nieghbors 10 -20 miles away nearest town 30-40 miles road system is a plus
Buisness - can go anywhere
budget - $500,000 - 5.5 Mil

Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM

36 posts, read 75,670 times
sent you a pm

Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM

2,793 posts, read 5,586,737 times
The MatSu Valley or the Kenai Peninsula sound like it would fit what you are looking for. I think I would highly recommend a week long trip to come up, rent a car and take a look at these areas. Maybe arrange a meeting with a Realtor to look at some possible options. You can also use the MLS site: www.AlaskaRealEstate.com .
Don't buy property here in Alaska without looking at it first.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,999,337 times
Barrow!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 PM

275 posts, read 577,709 times
Quote:
Remote - nearest nieghbors 10 -20 miles away nearest town 30-40 miles road system is a plus
You don't have to answer, I'm just curious as to the desire to be so remote in Alaska?

I know people do it all the time, however I don't think I could do that leap upon arrival in Alaska. I'd want to get my feet on the ground first and figure out how remote a location my family and I really wanted and could exist in.

While I love being out in the middle of nowhere, as I get older it is kind of nice to be within a reasonable distance of medical care, decent sized grocery stores, and a friend or two. But hey, that's just me.

If I didn't have to work, I could imagine myself being a bit more remote. However, with both me and my wife working, remote just adds more commuting time.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:55 PM

3,199 posts, read 3,876,541 times
Quote:
budget - $500,000 - 5.5 Mil
You have a 5.5 mil budget and you're asking for help here?

Hire a private jet, fly up and take a look around.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 PM

Yes i do i have $ as to how much i will never say how much over the internet. I asked because i have found that it is better to ask the locals and/or natives as to what i need to know. My experience has taught me walking around and even asking in unknown territory will either get lost (best case) or killed (worst case). And i prefer driving lol Also i am trying to find someone who is in Alaska that i can or we (being the other party) can learn to trust one another. And this said person could be my guide. There is a reason i survived all my deployments i been to far worse places then iraq (meaning it wasnt the only place i deployed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska