U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2008, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,539 posts, read 6,130,607 times
Reputation: 1818

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
In fact, most of my time in Alaska is spent "off the highway system".
Most of SE, with the Marine Highway, is not off the highway system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
But then, my comment about Talkeetna wasn't really directed at you.
You posted the comment to a public forum, anyone is free to comment on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2008, 02:46 AM
 
19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
Reputation: 10421
Quote:
Most of SE, with the Marine Highway, is not off the highway system...
And? You're quite correct about most of SE being on the Marine Highway system. But your point again is what? I've certainly been to most of SE, but I've lived off the Highway system in Alaska more often than not, Marine or otherwise. Take a look at one of your maps and see all those little islands in SE Alaska...I've also spent considerable time in the interior.

Quote:
You posted the comment to a public forum, anyone is free to comment on it.
By the same token...

Quote:
I, and the article I quoted, referred to what Glitch said. We really weren't talking about you.
Right back at ya, Floyd.

Alaska is a big beautiful state and I've been lucky enough to have seen quite a bit of it.

Hope that clears things up for you a bit.

Keep it up, though. Your desperation to set yourself up as the resident expert in all things Alaskan (including places you've never even lived) is amusing at best.

But be advised that at worst it really is "merely" a crashing bore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 04:20 AM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,539 posts, read 6,130,607 times
Reputation: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

By the same token...

Quote:
I, and the article I quoted, referred to what Glitch said. We really weren't talking about you.
Right back at ya, Floyd.
Duhhh. Your example is another one of you making exactly the same false assumption. You've just provided a second example demonstrating my point and undercutting yourself!

I had referenced what somebody else said, and you then claimed that "no one" (i.e., yourself) had said any such thing, and defended what you had said as if it had been misrepresented and attacked inappropriately. It had not been. This isn't all just about you.

That quote is not saying that people cannot respond to comments made to or about someone else, it's just saying that not every comment is about you, and you should not claim they are. It is not true that "No one's claiming" just because you haven't. It isn't appropriate to take the discussion personal, as if all comments are directed specifically to you as an individual, or to assume that comments can be directed to specific individuals as if in private where nobody else is allowed to reply. Neither are valid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
But be advised that at worst it really is "merely" a crashing bore.
When people resort to personal attacks it is virtually always because they cannot respond based on fact and they feel they've been bested in a debate. It would be better to assess the strength of another person's discussion as something to learn from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Naptowne, Alaska
15,582 posts, read 33,175,804 times
Reputation: 14541
For what it's worth.

Suburb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I reckon Palmer/Wasilla could be considered a suburb of Anchorage...and then again...not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
 
19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
Reputation: 10421
Quote:
It would be better to assess the strength of another person's discussion as something to learn from.
Oh, I already have. I don't see much to learn from you, sorry, not when you run on about places you haven't even lived and make silly remarks about how I should live off the road system.

Floyd, it remains that I don't agree with either you about the Mat-Su. No amount of tirades or false assumptions about my life on your part is going to change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,539 posts, read 6,130,607 times
Reputation: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
For what it's worth.

Suburb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I reckon Palmer/Wasilla could be considered a suburb of Anchorage...and then again...not.
According to the first paragraph, the entire Mat-Su Valley fits like a glove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Naptowne, Alaska
15,582 posts, read 33,175,804 times
Reputation: 14541
Yet they are cities in their own right. Flourishing with suburbs of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Palmer
2,517 posts, read 5,607,275 times
Reputation: 1353
Lets see, since I sell the Mat-Su I'll chime in.

I don't like to call Palmer/Wasilla a suburb. That sounds too much like LA or something.

I call it a bedroom community, (is that the same thing ?). But it's a bedroom community for the entire state. There are people who live here that work all over the state. They work on the north slope, at Red Dog mine, they are commercial fishermen in Sand Point, Prince William Sound, or Bristol Bay. Some work on oil tankers. There are airline pilots that are based in Denver, or Seattle but choose to live here. And... some work in Anchorage.

Oh yeah...I'm working with two different people that are civilian employees in Iraq. They could buy a house anywhere in the country...they choose to live here.

But I wouldn't call Skwentna, Petersville, or Lake Louise a bedroom community, even though they are part of the Mat-Su Borough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 01:54 PM
 
19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
Reputation: 10421
Oh and..

Quote:
When people resort to personal attacks it is virtually always because they cannot respond based on fact and they feel they've been bested in a debate. It would be better to assess the strength of another person's discussion as something to learn from.
Actually, I've made it quite clear several times that I don't consider this a "debate", Floyd. My opinion, based on where I have lived, is what it is and no amount of browbeating is going to change that.

Link to Wikipedia all you want. It's no last word. Reputable colleges don't allow it to be used as a source, for instance.

I hope break-up comes soon in Barrow.

I'm offer to enjoy the sun now. Yammer on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,539 posts, read 6,130,607 times
Reputation: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh and..



Actually, I've made it quite clear several times that I don't consider this a "debate", Floyd. My opinion, based on where I have lived, is what it is and no amount of browbeating is going to change that.
Your actions deny your words regarding it being a debate. Opinions different than yours bring out boxing gloves, a roped ring, pre-fight personal comments and all.

And where you have lived has how much significance? I'm willing to bet the 20 years I lived in a highway community is longer than you've done so.

The problem with your argument is that it doesn't hold much water. It isn't a matter of how long you've lived there, it's a matter of how able you are to understand cultural differences in those particular settings. I would suggest that living elsewhere would be a better background if it provides a person with a broader and more complete understanding.

Regardless, this entire discussion is simply hilarious. To most people it is obvious that the Mat-Su has become a suburb of Anchorage. I don't exactly know why that should upset anyone, but clearly it does. For most bush residents there is a relatively small difference between various towns in the Mat-Su and Anchorage itself, when compared to even the least remote bush locations (never mind comparing Talketna to Lime Village or Point Lay, for example).

Why does that comparison upset people? Particularly people who have never actually lived in a bush location, and therefore really don't have the background to understand cultural differences between different regions of Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Link to Wikipedia all you want.
Where did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's no last word. Reputable colleges don't allow it to be used as a source, for instance.
Well, you should probably have mentioned that when someone did link to Wikipedia. Still, reliable or not, you'll have a very difficult time trying to argue that what was cited on Wikipedia was not credible and correct. And it specifically contradicted you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I hope break-up comes soon in Barrow.
Would it be appropriate for me to hope there are at least three or four days without rain were you live this summer... to help you lighten up a bit?

Break-up here is at least 6 weeks away, and nobody would want it to come early. We're all getting hyped up to catch a few whales very shortly! Barrow is an exciting place to live, and for many residents the best time of all is late April and May. We wouldn't want to miss the fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top