Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,348,841 times

Advertisements

For these days of political turmoil I have the perfect outhouse:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,329,912 times
your outhouse looks so charming, cozy and inviting!!! love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I have a really comfy toilet seat made just for 5-gal. buckets (sorry, don't know where I got it). With a lid placed on top, out of sight, out of mind, easy to dump and keep clean. I think with kids you'd find a porta-potty a pain in the tush to keep clean and empty, I used to have one & got rid of it.

Now, however, I love my outhouse. I ran a wire out there so I can turn the heatlamp on first thing on winter mornings; it's warm & toasty when I get there with the radio on for morning news. I have hot & cold running water in the cabin from a raincatch but still would never have a loo inside.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 PM

339 posts, read 584,116 times
ok I will admit it, I went with the compost for more than just the niceties..... I am more worried about the bears than the cold. Compost toilet means no going outside; so no cold and NO BEAR meeting me on the way. Guaranteed if I met a Bear I would no longer need the toilet.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,348,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
ok I will admit it, I went with the compost for more than just the niceties..... I am more worried about the bears than the cold. Compost toilet means no going outside; so no cold and NO BEAR meeting me on the way. Guaranteed if I met a Bear I would no longer need the toilet.
There are no bears during the winter. They are hibernating. It is from April to November you need to be especially observant for bear. However, wolves will be out and about in packs during the winter, so they are a greater threat than bears. At least during the winter. Then there is the moose you happen to catch by surprise. Oops! Maybe you will not be needing that outhouse after all...

Old 08-24-2012, 12:05 AM

860 posts, read 2,045,910 times
I did have to shoo one away a couple days ago. He was after my blueberries tho, not the outhouse, he must not have noticed the target on the tree.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 AM

I should have been clearer..... I meant I'd rather freeze my toosh in winter more than face a bear in summer, so that means an indoor potty for me. I have to watch my typing doesn't fall behind my thinking. lol Any idiot knows most bears hibernate. lol BUT, there are the odd ones. My daughter lived on-base, at their last base, and they had a bear, actually a few, that didn't hibernate. Found one sitting on a neighbor's porch one evening when they were taking a walk around the cul-d-sack. Scared the crap out of her "city" hubby. Daughter only said "don't run, turn around and let's go home". No more letting the kids play unsupervised outside. lol City boy was terrified. Love the target pic.

Last edited by AlaskaNana; 08-24-2012 at 01:02 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 01:09 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,884,657 times
Current moose/bear/wolf protected outhouse.

Really, how handy is this?

Previous outhouse in the moonlight.

No more of this, hopefully.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:20 AM

1stimestar; Love your set up. Hadn't thought of that. Maybe the next build........

Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There are no bears during the winter. They are hibernating. It is from April to November you need to be especially observant for bear. However, wolves will be out and about in packs during the winter, so they are a greater threat than bears. At least during the winter. Then there is the moose you happen to catch by surprise. Oops! Maybe you will not be needing that outhouse after all...
Been there, done that with the Moose. Not good to surprise a Moose.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,044,047 times
Just impatiently waiting it's turn Star?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska