Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:30 PM

275 posts, read 576,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
You may have made that comment with tongue in cheek jdhpa but I know for a fact that many large city dwellers believe food is made in the market.
GL2
I was in California last year eating with some freinds and we ended up talking about moose and hunting in Alaska. A person overheard us and said that hunting and killing animlas was cruel and that we should just get meat like everyone else does...at the supermarket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 05:01 PM

355 posts, read 504,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetraveler View Post
I was in California last year eating with some freinds and we ended up talking about moose and hunting in Alaska. A person overheard us and said that hunting and killing animlas was cruel and that we should just get meat like everyone else does...at the supermarket.
That was in the show "sarah palins alaska" as well. When they showed her and her farther hunting, the lady after wards said that they were cruel people and should get their meat at the supermarket where it is made.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,962,862 times
Just like the so called Chick-Fil-A "Controversy". A few Nerdowells go online and make it seem as if they are speaking for all of America. However, once the voice of the "silent majority" is finally heard, the numbers aren't even close. The handful of fools are overwhelmingly overridden by common sense. Only difference in this case is the Corporation caved showing their true cowardice, while CFA stuck to their guns the entire time!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,821,331 times
MagicQwan said:
"Travel is one of the things that gives me pleasure in life. Until I was about 12, Haughton was a very rural town. Then suburbia started to creep in, which I resent. I like the variety of food now, but my forest I used to roam around in are gone, and hunting is slowly becoming rarer. Ideally, I'd like a city close enough for me to commute to within an hour, but I really want to live rural. I want to particularly live in the Mat-Su valley region, as the land is stunningly beautiful and it is the type of climate I want and has plenty of diverse topography. It is something how the years fly by; I'm 16 and a junior now, so only a decade until I can really settle down. It makes me think how short life really is, you know?

I don't think I would want to live in a huge city. From what I've read, cities dumb people down a bit. I wonder how they think the market makes it? Have they even heard of farmers? Hunters?

Markets make meat as often as ready to eat cheese enchiladas grow on trees."
Qwan,
You obviously have been paying attention during your 16 years. Add fifty to your sixteen and you get 66, my age in a couple days. It seems like it was just yesterday when I turned sixteen. I grew up on a farm/ranch in Eastern Colorado and I learned how to hunt, fish and really appreciate Flora and Fauna at an early age. Hunting, fishing and watching nature still top the list of things that I really enjoy.

Don't limit yourself in what you experience. Country living is great but Cities have a lot to offer also. Museums, libraries, theaters, sporting events, racing events etc are some of the things that you will find in some Cities that can be enjoyed.
Other people can add a lot of enjoyment or misery to your life whether you live in the sticks or a large city.

Good luck to you in your journey through life. Your generation will be facing some challenging times. Challenging but interesting. I saw Men landing on the moon (on TV of course) but you may see Men/Women landing on Mars or you may even be one of those setting foot on Mars. What an adventure you have ahead of you.

GL2

Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,594,430 times
Quote:
Good luck to you in your journey through life. Your generation will be facing some challenging times. Challenging but interesting. I saw Men landing on the moon (on TV of course) but you may see Men/Women landing on Mars or you may even be one of those setting foot on Mars. What an adventure you have ahead of you.

GL2
I'm hoping!

SpaceX to Launch First Private Craft to Space Station

Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,609,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Just like the so called Chick-Fil-A "Controversy". A few Nerdowells go online and make it seem as if they are speaking for all of America. However, once the voice of the "silent majority" is finally heard, the numbers aren't even close. The handful of fools are overwhelmingly overridden by common sense. Only difference in this case is the Corporation caved showing their true cowardice, while CFA stuck to their guns the entire time!
I eat 2 Chick-Fil-A's at a time. Why? Because I can. Isn't America great?

Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,962,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I eat 2 Chick-Fil-A's at a time. Why? Because I can. Isn't America great?
Amen brother!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:55 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,348,841 times
Quote:
You may have made that comment with tongue in cheek jdhpa but I know for a fact that many large city dwellers believe food is made in the market.

I used to be in the trucking business and for a three year period I pulled a reefer and delivered a lot of BEEF products into Boston, Philly and New York City among others. During slack times I spent a lot of time in neighborhood coffee shops talking to the locals. Usually when I would tell someone that I had hauled a load of meat into such and such warehouse you could just about bet that someone would comment that they just go to the market to buy their meat. Follow up conversations on the subject made me aware that very few people in large cities understand the whole concept of how food (or other products) make it to their local markets.

Many of these people are born, live a lifetime and never go more than one or two miles from where they were born. It is true they can get anything they need by walking just a few blocks, something that those of us who live in rural areas find hard to believe. Travel does indeed broaden the mind BUT many people have no desire to travel. And if you stop and think about it when everything you enjoy or need is within just a few minutes WHY would you want to travel? I don't have that mindset but I can understand it. It is not just ignorance.

GL2
I traveled all my life, never living anywhere longer than three or four years, until I moved to Alaska. It took me a while to find out what I truly needed. Now that I found it, I have no desire to travel any further.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:17 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,578,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You ain't going to survive in a place like Alaska off the land as a vegetarian.
Moose do.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 PM

18,336 posts, read 26,371,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Moose do.
Humans can't live off spruce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska