U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:03 PM

206 posts, read 451,682 times

Advertisements

One of the nicest people I have ever known was a lady who died of colon cancer. She was never a robust looking person so she looked just about the same to the end of her life.

She took her little "Fluffy" dog out for a walk every morning throughout the neighborhood, with little chats with people she met as she went along, for many years.

I went out one morning with her on her walk and she was as chatty and cheerful as ever.

Two days later she was gone.

I think she felt an obligation to have everyone remember her as she lived each and every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,152,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
That's what I'm talking about. I don't know why, but I think there's something to be said for being frozen right away too. I don't want to die by an animal attack, but I wouldn't mind being a corpsicle for some hungry wolves or something. I think that would be all right, and there would be no funeral planning nor a regular autopsy, if any.

Do many of you die at such early ages?
Death by extreme hypothermia(freezing) usually takes awhile - and for that period until you are so numb that you can't feel any pain(or you go to sleep - permnantly) - it can be a quite unpleasant process.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,527,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Death by extreme hypothermia(freezing) usually takes awhile - and for that period until you are so numb that you can't feel any pain(or you go to sleep - permnantly) - it can be a quite unpleasant process.
They died of other causes. I wouldn't want to die from hypothermia. That can't be nice, relatively speaking. You noticed that I didn't say that Hatchet Jack had a good end.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,152,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
You know what, I have never known so many people who have died than here where I live in AK. It has always seem strange to me. I live on a island where we have clinic but not hospital. This is not a case where you go in wilderness actually I have never heard of anyone going into wilderness and dying here. I am talking about day to day a lot of deaths. Cancer, flu, falling down. A common occurance here is ignoring symptoms. Since we are not by hospital and people are so busy working they ignore symptoms and put off going to doctor. Then suddenly they have a major illness and pass. I have known many people who seem fine one day, then find out they have cancer or something serious then they die.
Sounds like a great place to set up shop as a pathologist, a mortuary operator/mortician, a grave plot salesperson, or a rent-a-priest.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:42 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,950,811 times
People come to Alaska for a wide assorment of reasons, many come for work, others to pursue a dream, and others come to "Hide out" when in fact they stand out in a place they don't belong.

Many come with ideas that aren't realistic, and die. Not all, but enough to set off some people to thinking I hope, that maybe they should rethink their dreams until they do a bit of research with open eyes.... won't happen and well will have plenty of names to add to a growing list.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:29 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,698,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
People come to Alaska for a wide assorment of reasons, many come for work, others to pursue a dream, and others come to "Hide out" when in fact they stand out in a place they don't belong.

Many come with ideas that aren't realistic, and die. Not all, but enough to set off some people to thinking I hope, that maybe they should rethink their dreams until they do a bit of research with open eyes.... won't happen and well will have plenty of names to add to a growing list.
People do stupid things all over the place, not just Alaska - Unfortunately. Otherwise we might be able to save a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or