U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,088 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Kenai in October and am wondering what we should see and definitely not miss. I know its late in the season but hope to see some sites. We will have access to an RV so can travel some short distances.

Also I was there two years ago and at some point we rode a ferry for about an hour and there was no charge. It was after we left Homer and on way home to lower 48. The freeway ran out and the ferry took us, I don't know where--- It was down a river or fjord and the people had miniature light houses on their property. We got on the ferry at a place that had a hot springs and a name I could not pronounce. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA WHERE THIS IS, I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW!!!!!

Thank you so much for any information you may have.
Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:11 PM

2,558 posts, read 3,930,083 times
You might do some reading over at the Trip Advisor forum for Alaska. You'll find a wealth of travel info there.
Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

I've been in Alaska for 31 years and traveled it quite extensively... To my knowledge there is no spot with a free ferry. Ferries, yes. Free, no.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:52 AM

5 posts, read 2,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
You might do some reading over at the Trip Advisor forum for Alaska. You'll find a wealth of travel info there.
Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

I've been in Alaska for 31 years and traveled it quite extensively... To my knowledge there is no spot with a free ferry. Ferries, yes. Free, no.
When one is stuck around Kenail. Sometimes it is best to travel up to Anchorage. Stay at the hotel resort complex next to the train station and then take the train to Fairbanks for more shopping. Fairbanks has some good hotels next to the shopping center district. So everything is in walking distance and or for extreme cold weather use of taxi services. It is good maybe for the train service run year round. They can do it.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM

275 posts, read 472,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcruisemountain View Post
When one is stuck around Kenail. Sometimes it is best to travel up to Anchorage. Stay at the hotel resort complex next to the train station and then take the train to Fairbanks for more shopping. Fairbanks has some good hotels next to the shopping center district. So everything is in walking distance and or for extreme cold weather use of taxi services. It is good maybe for the train service run year round. They can do it.
OK, I'll bite. Where is this "shopping center district" in Fairbanks you speak of with good hotels within walking distance?. The only place I could think of would be the hotel across from complex with Wal-Mart, Lowes, Barnes and Knowble, Sportman's Warehouse, etc.

Not sure I would take a trip from Kenai all the way up to Fairbanks just to go shopping.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Ummm... With all due respect, NO. The train to Fairbanks only runs once a week in the winter. Why would you leave an RV sitting in Anchorage while you pay to take taxis & stay in hotels in Fairbanks for a week? And if shopping is your goal, then Anchorage has many, many, many more shopping opportunities than Fairbanks.

I don't think the original poster is "stuck" in Kenai. It sound like they've chosen that as their vacation spot.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM

And for the original poster, in addition to the Trip Advisor link, here's some other links that may help you plan:
| WELCOME TO HOMER! | Homer Chamber of Commerce
Alaska Islands & Ocean Visitor Center | page
Seward.com – Alaska Starts Here!
Alaska SeaLife Center Home Page

Old 10-09-2012, 05:12 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,169,167 times
Bob...why would I drive from Kenai to Anchorage, to get on a train to go to FB to go shopping...does not make one bit of sense...I could get anything in Kenai-Soldotna I needed or order online.... sheesh....Oh and you made multiple trips to FB to Wal-Mart...they have a Wal-Mart in Kenai too....just saying....

Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 AM

5 posts, read 2,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Bob...why would I drive from Kenai to Anchorage, to get on a train to go to FB to go shopping...does not make one bit of sense...I could get anything in Kenai-Soldotna I needed or order online.... sheesh....Oh and you made multiple trips to FB to Wal-Mart...they have a Wal-Mart in Kenai too....just saying....
Most people get run down in one place most of the time. Best to move about freely and experience other side of Alaska. Kenai has lots to offer but known for wind swept life style homes. The hiking trails be good for snowshoeing within the winter times. It is smart to try and think above average folks. Ice fishing is kind of hard to do. Because the ice shelf is too darn thick.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,200,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyw123 View Post
We will be visiting Kenai in October and am wondering what we should see and definitely not miss. I know its late in the season but hope to see some sites. We will have access to an RV so can travel some short distances.

Also I was there two years ago and at some point we rode a ferry for about an hour and there was no charge. It was after we left Homer and on way home to lower 48. The freeway ran out and the ferry took us, I don't know where--- It was down a river or fjord and the people had miniature light houses on their property. We got on the ferry at a place that had a hot springs and a name I could not pronounce. IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA WHERE THIS IS, I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW!!!!!

Thank you so much for any information you may have.
Sandy
Almost sounds like the free ferry at Kootenay Lake in British Columbia which is near a hot springs. However, that is nowhere near Homer & there is no free ferry on the Kenai.

On the Kenai, I recommend Seward.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 AM

275 posts, read 472,302 times
Quote:
Most people get run down in one place most of the time. Best to move about freely and experience other side of Alaska. Kenai has lots to offer but known for wind swept life style homes. The hiking trails be good for snowshoeing within the winter times. It is smart to try and think above average folks. Ice fishing is kind of hard to do. Because the ice shelf is too darn thick.
What's a wind swept life style home?

I'm still not sure that driving to Anchorage, hopping a train to Fairbanks to shop would be considered experiencing the "other side of Alaska". Then again, I still haven't figure out where the shopping district within walking distance of good hotels is located in Fairbanks. Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn across from Walmart and Lowes, 1st and 2nd Ave around the Spring Hill Suites, Fred Meyers across from the Extended Stay and Best Western? Let me know if I'm getting warm.

I agree with your advise to the original poster about ice fishing. It is hard to do, not because of the ice thickness, but rather that they stated they will be here in October. I don't believe there are a lot of place to ice fish that early in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska