U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,853 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there in Unalaska or Dutch Harbor?

Seems like there are a lot of issues currently in our community that could stand some more chat.

100% increase this year in utilities? Weren't the new generators supposed to LOWER our utility costs?
Closed door council backroom deals - where the heck is our money going?
Where's the accountability in our city departments and leadership?

ugggh... there's so much. I'm really worried that our little community is headed for the brink...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 PM

487 posts, read 1,317,941 times
I am not from the region, but I am interested in what goes on there.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,944,970 times
I'm there a lot, but it is work related. Been bouncing in and out of there since the 70's and have always liked the place.

Like everywhere else, as long as you use diesel fuel for power generation at the five to seven dollars a gallon, you're going to pay through the nose for power. Even with new Generators you are going to be stuck with new costs where the older ones were at least paid for!

There is a big push to develope Adak, and if so that may take a lot of commercial business from Dutch. Even though Adak is farther out the chain, it is a shorter ride on Alaska Airlines and better equipped navigation Aids for more consistent arrivals and departures.

You problems are pretty much State wide so I think you'll find everyone has a boat taking on water someplace!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:56 PM

8,127 posts, read 5,699,713 times
Anyone know if DirecTV is available there? Just curious if the dishes can receive that far west (or is it east?).

Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,944,970 times
I would bet you can. I had direct TV for years back in about '97 or so in interior Alaska and I had a six foot dish, but they said they didn't serve Alaska, so a billing question was always a pain. Anyway they put a bird up at 121.5 and beamed a stronger signal to Alaska, so now with my six foot dish I get about a 125% signal up from about 53% back then. But they use 3' dishes now (one meter) and get 80% signal with the new satellite.

There is also some birds that are towards the South Pacific that are closer and may be recieved as well, but you would have to lock on and get the info off them. Or check out their website.

But I would bet with a six foot Channel master or true focus dish you can get it out there if you have a southeast view of the horizon. When they had the weak signal, they could get a signal in KOTZ.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:53 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,694,070 times
Disclaimer: I have never dealt with the below company, I was just wondering what a large dish would cost and found this one. I also learned that Channel Master is now called 'Andrew Channel Master', but there are also a lot of others out there.

Anyways, here it is.... - although I bet the price doesn't include the LNB - and I don't know if you can adapt the Dish/DirecTV LNB to it... Might be worth a call to them. Something I would probably consider doing if I moved to an area without cable and the 'free' small dish they give you wouldn't cut it.

1.2 1.8 meter dish / mesh ku offset ka rx/tx Andrew Channel Master Prodelin Solid 1 meter

I also do not know if they ship to AK... Which I am learning is a hit and miss thing.

Anyways, they seem to have a wide selection of products, even found satellite dish covers and heaters to keep snow and ice off the dish. In addition, they had a section on cell phone boosters for your house and/or car - something that I saw a bunch of people with when I was driving around Northern Canada and Alaska this past summer... I guess that is why they were talking and I wasn't able to make a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska