Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:19 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times

Advertisements

ANCHORAGE, Alaska: Bear mauling victim found on Chichagof Island | State News | ADN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Well that is sad!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
That's scary sad.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 AM

73 posts, read 151,066 times
Crazy , how do people live up there?!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideySwag View Post
Crazy , how do people live up there?!
Carefully.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM

178 posts, read 227,795 times
Wouldn't any hungry bear kill a human? Or possibly protect their cubs? I just didn't understand why they would try to single out one bear to kill. Like the other bears are gonna learn not to eat people or something?

I know I am not the brightest bulb on the string and besides that, if a bear ate a loved one of mine I would want to hunt he/she down and kill them for sure.

I also wonder why the guy didn't have some sort of communication device to call for help. One reason I am scared to come to Alaska is my fear of being eatin alive by a bear. Ever since I saw that darn movie "The Edge" and before that movie was "Legends of the Fall"

Anyway, the article was heartbreaking, just some guy trying to do his job denise

Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Brown bears in Alaska don't kill humans for food; food is too plentiful most of the time. Most bear attacks happen because the animal has been startled. Polar bears are the only ones that actively hunt humans.

It looks like this guy was just on the trail at the wrong time and startled the mother bear.

Quote:
Like the other bears are gonna learn not to eat people or something?
Same principle as putting down a livestock-killing dog.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
Wouldn't any hungry bear kill a human? Or possibly protect their cubs? I just didn't understand why they would try to single out one bear to kill. Like the other bears are gonna learn not to eat people or something?

I know I am not the brightest bulb on the string and besides that, if a bear ate a loved one of mine I would want to hunt he/she down and kill them for sure.

I also wonder why the guy didn't have some sort of communication device to call for help. One reason I am scared to come to Alaska is my fear of being eatin alive by a bear. Ever since I saw that darn movie "The Edge" and before that movie was "Legends of the Fall"

Anyway, the article was heartbreaking, just some guy trying to do his job denise
I am opposed to killing any critter for what comes naturally. As Metlakatla correctly pointed out, bears do not normally kill humans for food. Bear attacks against humans are almost always the result of surprising the bear, or causing the bear (or her cubs) to feel threatened.

We have no idea what happened after Mr. Puerta landed his boat on the beach of Chichagof Island. It could have been his fault, the bear's fault, or nobody's fault that he ended up dead. I see no useful purpose in killing a bear at random just to placate someone's need for vengence.

If a bear ever kills and eats me, I do not want it killed. Hell, some may even reward the bear.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:38 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post

I talked to a biologist in Palmer studying bears. According to him, (and I believe him), not only do most bears not kill humans. Most bears don't even kill moose.

There is a huge problem with bear predation in some areas to the extent the the vast majority of moose calves that are born are killed by bears within a few months. Sometimes it's over 90%. But the vast majority of these kills are by a minority of bears. A few bears have learned that moose calves are easy prey and they prey on them every year. The sows pass it on to their cubs.

He is trying to identify the particular bears and find a way to take them out without killing the rest of the bears. Interesting job, kind of like csi for bears. He uses hair samples, fluid samples etc.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Brown bears in Alaska don't kill humans for food; food is too plentiful most of the time. Most bear attacks happen because the animal has been startled. Polar bears are the only ones that actively hunt humans.
According to Doug Peacock, author of Grizzly Years, grizzlies do actively hunt humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska