Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,756 times

Advertisements

any problems homeschooling in Alaska. I wouldnt think so but then again sometimes what I think and what is done differs more greatly than I care to admit!!!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
any problems homeschooling in Alaska. I wouldnt think so but then again sometimes what I think and what is done differs more greatly than I care to admit!!!

Cheers
I know of a few that home school. Try below for more infromation. part of State of Alaska Home Page

Department of Education and Early Development
907-465-2800
Commission on Postsecondary Education (Alaska Student Loans)
Division of Libraries, Archives & Museums
SLED (Statewide Library Electronic Doorway)
State Council on the Arts
Office of the Commissioner

Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
We have been home schooling our children for 17 years now. The oldest in at the University now.

The current law states that if you teach your own children at home, you are exempt from all the education laws. You don't have to report to anyone, take any tests, or file any paperwork at all.

There were so many people teaching thier children at home that one remote school district saw an opportunity. The Galena School District, (a little village on the Yukon River), set up a distance learning program. People could sign up with their school district and receive monetary assistance to buy books and school supplies, including a computer and receive help from a teacher. This is called the Interior Distance Education of Alaska, (IDEA), program.

They were the first to come up with the "idea" and now there are many copycats all over the state. Almost every school district has a program to try to capture homeschoolers. That is because the state gives the school districts about $8K plus per student.

Most homeschoolers took the bait, (including us), and so now most homeschoolers are signed up with one of those programs. We have one with IDEA and one with the local coorespondence program and one in Palmer High School. Any child in one of these programs is really in public school and they do have to meet the normal school laws.

But the independent homeschoolers are completely exempt.

If you count the people signed up with these early distance people, there are so many home schoolers in the Mat-Su Borough that they would need to build 5 new schools if they all suddenly went back to a brick and mortar school.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:53 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,912 times
I'm one of the independent homeschoolers. Marty's great post gives the basic information. There are lots of ways to homeschool in this state. You can even get free curriculum directly from the state and remain an independent homeschool. (At least I think that's right.) Because of many remote locations and lack of schools, the State of Alaska has always supported home education.

The Homeschool Legal Defense Association is a great place to find information on homeschooling. The following link will take you to their page that has access to the current laws and latest legal issues facing homeschoolers in every state. Just click on the state you wish to view.

HSLDA | Home Schooling-State

Old 10-16-2007, 03:53 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,756 times
Default we homeschool our 5 sons

in wisconsin. Always thought about moving to alaska for the warmer weather. Not many can say that but where I live in wisconsin all your coastal cities actually have more mild winters, Fairbanks would be cooler but more similar. I hate the heat in the summer and ALaska has the perfect climate to me. Just dont think I will be able to ever make the move!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:33 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,518 times
Default just read that...

I read in the local paper that the amount the local school district pays a homeschooling parent just went up. If I'm not mistaken it's something like $1600 for elementary and middle school age, and $2k for high schoolers, but then I may be wrong. I do know that it's nowhere near the entire amount that the district is reimbursed for each student enrolled in the program, but then I suppose thats normal for the state from what I've read.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:44 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,802 times
Let us know how you like it after the first -50f day. If you still like it, welcome to Alaska and you should stay.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:37 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Another 8 year old post....

Old 03-30-2015, 12:08 AM

134 posts, read 195,479 times
and another with no knowledge on the outcome ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: