Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 06:15 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times

Advertisements

Gun seizures at B.C. border crossings on the rise

Quote:
Esme Bailey, a spokeswoman for CBSA, said a “large percentage” of firearms seized in the Pacific region are destined to or from Alaska.
With the recent shooting at the Peace Arch crossing, scrutiny for inbound firearms has increased. And getting arrested at the border for illegal firearms importation is not a fun experience - aside from losing the firearms and spending some time in custody, you will probably be barred from Canada for at least a decade, and after that, entry will be discretionary (which means it might effectively become a lifetime ban). And the legal fees will not be cheap.

Get your paperwork in order before setting out. Here's the Canada Border Services Agency's website:

Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada

I'd assume most of us already know this stuff, but based on the number of people getting arrested at the border, there are apparently many who don't, amazingly enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Sounds like a good reminder... I always CALL and CONFIRM what I think I need and what I think I read.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Bear spray. That's all I take across the border. I ship my firearms as airfreight on Alaska Airlines. I also cross at Sumas and avoid the crowds at the Peace Arch.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM

339 posts, read 588,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Bear spray. That's all I take across the border. I ship my firearms as airfreight on Alaska Airlines. I also cross at Sumas and avoid the crowds at the Peace Arch.

I'm with you; don't carry any weapons across. Shipping is not that hard and sooo much safer.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Crossing at Sumas is the way to go.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
The border hassle sort of makes the ferry look like a good idea (but still expensive). I pretty much avoid Canada these days, but half of that is homeland security on the way back in too.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 PM

Never had an issue with ICE, even coming back from Mexico. However, Canadian customs agents are very interrogative of you. Seems like they are giving everyone a hard time, but in the end all was well. I guess knowing the rules, abiding by them, not being wishy washy in my responses helped?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Never had an issue with ICE, even coming back from Mexico. However, Canadian customs agents are very interrogative of you. Seems like they are giving everyone a hard time, but in the end all was well. I guess knowing the rules, abiding by them, not being wishy washy in my responses helped?
It has always been like that in the western provinces. We were stopped for eight minutes at Emerson, MB a few years ago for a LONG interrogation. The customs agent asked about weapons no less than eight times.

I thought it was almost humorous as I was crossing into Windsor, ON 2-3x per week that year with few if any questions.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:10 AM

Try niagra falls rainbow bridge... Same thing as the western provinces.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Here are a few points that most Americans "don't know " about the Canadian Border Services Agency.

They share a great deal of data with the US Federal and State Governments. And the guy in the booth has a just about instant access to that data on his computer screen.

As you drive towards the check point, the cameras are scanning and checking your vehicle plate, and cross refferencing it to the State DMV and owners' name, for warrants and wanted notices. If you are sent for "secondary inspection " it is usually because the computer prompted the agent to do that.

Remember to shut off your engine and open all the vehicle windows, so that passengers are visible to the agent. Present your passports, and any other required documents, to the agent. Don't joke around , be serious, and answer the questions directly. Be truthfull, they are trained to spot liars, and mumblers.

Remember that as a American, you have NO "right to enter Canada " and you may be denied entry to Canada, based on the decision of the CBSA agent in charge of the Port of Entry. You are a visitor, and subject to all of the laws in Canada, NOT those of the USA. Once you are at the Canadian border check point, you are IN Canada.

Never assume. Be sure, by checking the CBSA website, for the rules, and regulations, that govern entry to Canada, and importation of ANY weapons. Failure to declare and produce , at the first inspection booth, all weapons, will result in seizure and arrest of all of the persons in the vehicle, and prosecution in Canada, for weapons smuggling. We take this VERY seriously, and as was stated, Americans are arrested just about EVERY day, at the border, somewhere across Canada, for failure to declare weapons that they have with them.

The fact that you are going to or coming from Alaska has NO bearing on the requirement to declare and produce your firearms, when you enter Canada.

My personal suggestion is to send your guns to Alaska by Fed EX or USPS, to a licensed gun dealer up there, and collect them, when you arrive in Alaska. That avoids any problems at the border.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Last edited by canadian citizen; 11-01-2012 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska