U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 07:45 AM

1,009 posts, read 831,778 times

Advertisements

Well, THAT is good to hear...

It's been getting a little scary down here. I lean towards wanting to stay in the Union, but I've seen small fights erupt from extremist on either side. I don't like Obama, but I like our nation. I don't want it to break up.

The fights erupting are Louisiana's polar bear: everyone (that doesn't live here, that is...) acts like they aren't happening, but they really are.

I just don't want this to escalate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:02 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,589,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Well, THAT is good to hear...

It's been getting a little scary down here. I lean towards wanting to stay in the Union, but I've seen small fights erupt from extremist on either side. I don't like Obama, but I like our nation. I don't want it to break up.

The fights erupting are Louisiana's polar bear: everyone (that doesn't live here, that is...) acts like they aren't happening, but they really are.

I just don't want this to escalate.
Alaska has never been interested in secession. Contrary to popular belief, the Alaskan Independence Party has never sought secession. Their primary goal was to get the ballot promised in 1958, which included three options: 1) Join the Union and become a State; 2) Remain a US territory; or 3) Become an independent nation. Exactly like the vote Puerto Rico just had. Alaska never got that vote, and that is why the Alaskan Independence Party sprang into existence.

Alaska is content with remaining in the Union, at least for the time being. It will really depend on the reach of the federal government. If more Alaskans feel the feds are becoming too intrusive, that attitude of contentment may change.

The only reason there are these White House secession petitions is because: 1) Obama won reelection; 2) A lot of people are not happy with the outcome; and 3) Obama promised to personally respond to every petition that gets more than 25,000 signatories.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM

434 posts, read 419,679 times
Alaska didn't become a state until 1958 or so. Almost a hundred years after the civil war. Confederate or union affiliation wouldn't really apply to Alaska.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM

10,148 posts, read 18,123,288 times
An independent Alaska wouldn't last very long; someone would gobble it up; Russia, China, maybe Japan. Maybe Canada.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:43 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,465,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
An independent Alaska wouldn't last very long; someone would gobble it up; Russia, China, maybe Japan. Maybe Canada.

Really? Do you know how many people with guns live here?

Do you think anyone would have a chance of invading us? Just my family alone could fend off any invaders!

(And not even spill a drop of our Alaskan Amber!)

Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,460 times
Anyone who is really that unhappy with being an American can always leave the country, go to the nearest US consulate or embassy and formally renounce your US citizenship. Your presence will not be missed. There are plenty of people who are educated and/or will bring a needed set of skills that will contribute to making our nation more productive and better overall. There are droves who would appreciate the opportunity to take your place, please don't disappoint them.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Really? Do you know how many people with guns live here?

Do you think anyone would have a chance of invading us? Just my family alone could fend off any invaders!

(And not even spill a drop of our Alaskan Amber!)
Yeah, because everyone knows that any foreign nation's army, navy, air force, and marines will quake in their boots at just the mere thought of facing our "guns".

Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
yeah, because everyone knows that any foreign nation's army, navy, air force, and marines will quake in their boots at just the mere thought of facing our "guns". :d

yuuup!!!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM

5,706 posts, read 7,890,121 times
I thought about getting out of the country after Obummer, or is that OHusseinBumma was reelected, but then I said to myself, self, if you do that you'll lose your welfare benefits, food stamps, medicaid, disability benefits, discounted liquor card, free phone, and the five pound block of cheese delivered to your subsidized housing every week.

I suggest the other people (90% of them who are receiving the same benefits as me) and want to secede, pause and think about what I had to think about.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by phlinak
yeah, because everyone knows that any foreign nation's army, navy, air force, and marines will quake in their boots at just the mere thought of facing our "guns". :d

Haven’t you seen Red Dawn? (The politically incorrect unedited original version that is).

WOLVERINES!

Or in our case:

HOGS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or