U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,422,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I've seen small fights erupt from extremist on either side.
Do you mean online screaming matches, or actual fisticuffs?

And what does an anti-secession extremist look like, anyway? Someone who really really wants the US to stay together as one country? In that case, I suppose most of us are "extremists".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,724,092 times
I keep hoping we will take on more land -- not lose more land... They are not making any more of it. In fact, lately due to climate change it looks like we could start losing some globally...

If you are not happy here, there are plenty of other countries out there to go to. You can become an ex-pat.

HogFamily is correct... So don't be fooled, numerous countries have not invaded the US by land, because they know everyone here has a gun and they know how to use it. We have the largest, best equipped, and trained reserve army in the world.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 PM

1,050 posts, read 845,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Do you mean online screaming matches, or actual fisticuffs?

And what does an anti-secession extremist look like, anyway? Someone who really really wants the US to stay together as one country? In that case, I suppose most of us are "extremists".
Pretty much sums it up, except TRUE anti-secession extremist are beating up members the opposite faction (So far, its mostly been younger folks; the older you go, the rarer they are).

Oh, and I learned today that Europeans are signing the petition using web proxies. They are ballooning the numbers, making a medium sized problem into one that is daily news fare and has fisticuff fights. I'm not sure by how much, but you can see European hackers bragging all over the internet...

I personally would like to see the nation stay together, really...

(PS: I think advocate might be better, since no bombs are going off... yet... )

Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM

63 posts, read 129,792 times
As an Alaskan, I for one wish that the South would secede already so we can be rid of them. Some great reasons why in this fabulous, and hilarious, recent book:

Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 PM

8,173 posts, read 5,762,789 times
Quote:
I like our nation. I don't want it to break up.
I'm trying to figure out why exactly this country is so great or why we should try so hard to keep it together. We don't really have that much from the last several decades to be all that proud of. We are a country of people that are far from united in anything but name. We have a government that is increasingly intrusive into our economic, social and speech decisions. We are not really a self-reliant population anymore. Contrary to the American myth, Americans are less likely than people in many other countries to advance beyond the economic class they were born into.

I don't understand why it would be so bad to say "we are like a married couple that hates each other". We can either stay together and try to force the other side to bend to our will, or each side can go and live how it wants to live. I would rather see that happen than each faction try to ram its completely different set of values down the other side's throat every 4 years.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm trying to figure out why exactly this country is so great or why we should try so hard to keep it together. We don't really have that much from the last several decades to be all that proud of. We are a country of people that are far from united in anything but name. We have a government that is increasingly intrusive into our economic, social and speech decisions. We are not really a self-reliant population anymore. Contrary to the American myth, Americans are less likely than people in many other countries to advance beyond the economic class they were born into.

I don't understand why it would be so bad to say "we are like a married couple that hates each other". We can either stay together and try to force the other side to bend to our will, or each side can go and live how it wants to live. I would rather see that happen than each faction try to ram its completely different set of values down the other side's throat every 4 years.
While I see your point, I'd hate to need a passport everytime I went to the next state over...

PERSONALLY

I would like to have all that federal power thrown back to the states and above all the chance to be left alone if I so choose.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________
This should sum it up:

CONFEDERATES: Confederates believe in letting others mind their own bussiness while they mind theirs. Their will be less resources to pull from, since each state would only have what is inside their borders.

UNION: Unionist believe it is their duty to control every aspect of other people's life, no matter how small. The large area controlled means greater resources to add to the economy.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

I say I lean towards keeping everyone together because of the possibility of Civil War II. I'm also not sure if the state I'm in right now, Louisiana, could handle the sudden loss of support from other states. I think that either way we go, however, we are screwed. Positively screwed...

Texas, our next door neighbor, is probably the most fit to become an independent republic. Alaska might be able to make it, but the Klondike might limit agricultural expansion should Alaska have to exclusively depend on itself.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

What the USA really needs is Laisse-Faire economics and to leave its citizens to decide their own life. Let them succeed or fail on their own merits, and don't bother them in their personal life.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Obama is bad, but if we can save the nation... that will be worth it...

(Though I'm becoming pessimistic.)

Old 11-15-2012, 03:41 PM

434 posts, read 422,515 times
Leave Alaska the way it is.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:56 PM

I think Alaska is great, personally... I want to go there to live.

I just hope they pick the option that changes them the least...

Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM

8,173 posts, read 5,762,789 times
Quote:
I think Alaska is great, personally... I want to go there to live.

I just hope they pick the option that changes them the least...
I wouldn't take secession talk seriously in the near term. I have no doubt the US won't last in its current form in the long-run based on regional cultural and political division, but things aren't nearly bad enough for secession movements to be successful right now.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM

4,672 posts, read 8,147,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
An independent Alaska wouldn't last very long; someone would gobble it up; Russia, China, maybe Japan. Maybe Canada.
Nonsense. What, would the international order and United Nations disappear to? That's not how the world works any more in the context of a global economy. Cambodia's a small country, why doesn't Russia or China annex them? Same reason Alaska would be safe, and even if someone did try something I bet you despite the succession the mutual interests of continental security and cultural similarities would mean that the other states, Canada, and maybe Britain would still be willing to fight to keep Alaska uninvaded. Hell, we fought in Korea to prevent an ally from being invaded and still sabre rattle at China to keep Taiwan free, you think people would leave Alaska to its fate just because it was another country? Would you not come to the aid of New Zealand if they were invaded by one of those countries without provocation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or