U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 PM

16,166 posts, read 27,421,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Certainly. Your first bit of valuable advice is not to listen to the skinflints and the criers of doom who troll this forum. Ray in particular gets worse this time of year because he's anticipating having to pry some cash loose from under his mattress to make utility payments. Others, for whatever reason, obviously believe that everyone who wants to move to Alaska is fueled by empty pockets, desperate straights and probably outstanding warrants strewn across the -48.

You don't say how old the children are. Bear in mind that Tigre has a point; there are unsavory types of people in Alaska as well. The difference is -- and it's a major one -- that in places like Soldotna, Kenai, etc., you know who the bad guys are in a way that you can't possibly know in places like Phoenix. This alone is a great advantage.

Climatewise, of course it's going to be a big change, but you already know that. You'll be cold the first few months until you get used to it.

What, specifically, do you want to know about the transition?
My goodness! I am just agreeing with Stiff and Tigre. Unlike you, I am not trying to pick a fight

I leave all the advise to you, so by all means go ahead... I don't want to give advise about I place I don't know much about. Besides, it's very possible that the place the OP is moving to only people of high moral values live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 09:42 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
Soldotna is a fine choice for raising kids. Get them into skiing, sleding, snowmachining, iceskating, ice fishing, sightseeing, hiking, biking, summer time fishing, clam digging, not to mention school and summer time sports. They will love this place if they have any intrest in the outdoors.
I can always put them to work in my garden if they need something to do!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Soldotna is a fine choice for raising kids. Get them into skiing, sleding, snowmachining, iceskating, ice fishing, sightseeing, hiking, biking, summer time fishing, clam digging, not to mention school and summer time sports. They will love this place if they have any intrest in the outdoors.
I can always put them to work in my garden if they need something to do!
Good points, Rance

The closest I have lived from your side of the pond is Los Anchorage, and that was back in the late '70s. I drove all the way to Homer a few times, and fished for Kings at the Ninilchik, Deep Creek, and the spit at Homer. Was stationed at Elmendorf back then.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 PM

20,417 posts, read 26,539,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
My goodness! I am just agreeing with Stiff and Tigre. Unlike you, I am not trying to pick a fight

I leave all the advise to you, so by all means go ahead... I don't want to give advise about I place I don't know much about. Besides, it's very possible that the place the OP is moving to only people of high moral values live.
Yeah, I think you're better off leaving the advice to me and those like me who aren't willing to automatically assume the worst about the poor souls who are brave enough to post on what's left of this forum.

I realize that this is very difficult, if not entirely impossible, for you to understand, but this is a relocation forum. People come here to ask questions about specific geographical locations. They don't come here to get life advice from the likes of you and Stiff, thank flippin' Heaven.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-23-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think you're better off leaving the advice to me and those like me who aren't willing to automatically assume the worst about the poor souls who are brave enough to post on what's left of this forum.

I realize that this is very difficult, if not entirely impossible, for you to understand, but this is a relocation forum. People come here to ask questions about specific geographical locations. They don't come here to get life advice from the likes of you and Stiff, thank flippin' Heaven.
Have a nice late Thanksgiving, Met

Please give some advice to the OP and stop trying to pick a fight with me. Has the "Alaska" forum changed to the "Alaska Relocating Forum?" Just curious, and still not trying to fight with you.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-24-2012 at 12:08 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Have a nice late Thanksgiving, Met

Please give some advise to the OP and stop trying to pick a fight with me. Has the "Alaska" forum changed to the "Alaska Relocating Forum?" Just curious, and still not trying to fight with you.
Please at least make an attempt to incorporate proper word usage into your posts. If you don't understand the difference between the words "advise" and "advice," perhaps an ESL class is in order. In the event that you can't attend one during the evening because of your inability to remain sober, they are offered online.

Again, I realize that it's probably impossible for you to grasp, but this website's main focus is relocation. That means that people are going to come to the Alaska forum, the Arizona forum, the Nebraska forum, etc., to ask questions about places they are considering moving to.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Please at least make an attempt to incorporate proper word usage into your posts. If you don't understand the difference between the words "advise" and "advice," perhaps an ESL class is in order. In the event that you can't attend one during the evening because of your inability to remain sober, they are offered online.

Again, I realize that it's probably impossible for you to grasp, but this website's main focus is relocation. That means that people are going to come to the Alaska forum, the Arizona forum, the Nebraska forum, etc., to ask questions about places they are considering moving to.
There; I fixed it for you above. Now, would you stop picking a fight with me and give some advice to the OP to keep this thread as intended, or should we change this forum from the "Alaska" forum to the "pick a fight forum?"

By the way, are all the other States and country forums "relocation" forums, too?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 AM

6,904 posts, read 11,690,350 times
I was just trying to find out what was driving them to pick Alaska. Once she said they had family ties to that area I was down with that. Don't know a lot about the Soldotna area other then visiting it. Thought I should leave the relocation advice to the experts that are most familiar with the area.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:31 AM

It seems like there is a small group of posters here who have little else to do with their time but to lie in wait for someone new to post questions so that they can pounce. Thanks for the reps and messages from those who are sick of them as I am.

Yes, Ray, it's a relocation forum. Its name alone should give even your fat head a clue.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-24-2012 at 08:49 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
It seems like there is a small group of posters here who have little else to do with their time but to lie in wait for someone new to post questions so that they can pounce. Thanks for the reps and messages from those who are sick of them as I am.

Yes, Ray, it's a relocation forum. Its name alone should give even your fat head a clue.
Well, it was you who derailed this thread to pounce on Stiff and Tigre, for both made similar comments about the "moral values" and locations between there and here. I just agreed with both of them, and you pounced on me, too. I refrained from giving advice for the reasons I already explained, which I did before you mentioned. Everybody here can go back to where you "pounced" and understand who the pouncer is.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-24-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska