Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
The sky is blue???
Damn, I need to get out more.
Yes, it is in the interior of AK. Take a look at the short-term Auroras forecast at UAF tonight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 01:22 PM

287 posts, read 595,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Actually, I'm self employed and therefore not eligible for unemployment benefits.

I believe the way that it works in the state of Alaska is if you have been working in a certain field and lose your job, the state can't require that you look for work in a different field. To an extent, I suppose that makes sense, but I think that a lot of people use it as an excuse to not accept other types of jobs that they may be qualified for.
And those are the people "milking" the system...

Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
Quote:
Yeah, but you never assumed that everyone who made a post about wanting to move to Juneau would be bringing up pets the way that some assume that anyone wanting to move to Alaska is broke or on the lam.

Not sure why Juneau is so hard on people with pets but there have been more than a couple of posters here who had to make other plans because they simply couldn't find a place.

I know you don't want to here it but pets, no matter how well trained they are, will eventually urinate(pee) on the carpet. It's gonna happen. Dog pee isn't too bad. If it's only in a few spots you can usually get the carpets steamed cleaned to make them useable for the next tenant.

Cat urine is different. If it soaks into the bottom of the carpet and into the padding you're screwed. You have to replace it. There is just something toxic in cat urine that gives it that distinctive odor. Carpeting in southeast is expensive. Even if you buy it in Seattle and have it shipped up on the barge it's still pricey.

My experience with the duplex we had in Ketchikan was really an eye opener into the costs of stuff like that. It's just not worth the hassle. Plus I'm deathly allergic to cats so that might skew my view point a bit.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I know you don't want to here it but pets, no matter how well trained they are, will eventually urinate(pee) on the carpet. It's gonna happen. Dog pee isn't too bad. If it's only in a few spots you can usually get the carpets steamed cleaned to make them useable for the next tenant.

Cat urine is different. If it soaks into the bottom of the carpet and into the padding you're screwed. You have to replace it. There is just something toxic in cat urine that gives it that distinctive odor. Carpeting in southeast is expensive. Even if you buy it in Seattle and have it shipped up on the barge it's still pricey.

My experience with the duplex we had in Ketchikan was really an eye opener into the costs of stuff like that. It's just not worth the hassle. Plus I'm deathly allergic to cats so that might skew my view point a bit.
I think a lot of places are making it increasingly difficult to rent with pets in tow... Apt's in SA allow pets, $300+ non-refundable "pet fee"... no longer called "deposit", because you won't ever see it again.

Oder and allergies are probably the biggest reason... Last tenant had a pet, new tenant doesn't want to rent an apt that smells of pet or allergies... Your potential renters are dwindling because of the last tenant, and your profits are getting smaller because your replacing carpet...

They are in business to make money - not rent you a place to live...

Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,483,523 times
Quote:
Yeah, but you never assumed that everyone who made a post about wanting to move to Juneau would be bringing up pets the way that some assume that anyone wanting to move to Alaska is broke or on the lam.

Not sure why Juneau is so hard on people with pets but there have been more than a couple of posters here who had to make other plans because they simply couldn't find a place.
True. It's not likely someone on the lam would ask here about moving to Alaska. We know someone who was the HR person for the State Troopers. From the stories we've been told, there are many people on the lam, thinking they won't be pursued in Alaska. Some of them even apply to be a State Trooper.

Because rentals in Juneau are limited, landlords don't need to cater to renters with pets in order to get tenants. There are landlords who are pet lovers and some of them are willing to allow pets, but those places get filled fast. All it takes is one bad pet owner who lets their pet damage a house/apartment for that place to be no longer available to pets. Granted, there are renters without pets that do greater damage, but then your only option is not to rent it out.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
True. It's not likely someone on the lam would ask here about moving to Alaska. We know someone who was the HR person for the State Troopers. From the stories we've been told, there are many people on the lam, thinking they won't be pursued in Alaska. Some of them even apply to be a State Trooper.
Maybe it's some twisted way of turning themselves in...

Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,428,580 times
Quote:
In my somewhat considerable experience with employees, the out-of-staters who come to Alaska looking for work are much better than the locals. Hiring locals is usually a waste of money.

To me that is a very good statement about work ethic up there because of beening there last year this time for a restaffing and semi remodel of a place up there .To me it seam the locals wanted a paycheck but not the work load that came with the job and the out of state people we hired to help was willing to do what was needed when it was needed .

Old 11-26-2012, 02:53 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post

Actually, I'm no fan of indoor cats, especially if there are more than a couple of them. Litter boxes are gross. A couple of our tenants had outdoor cats that didn't cause any problems except that for whatever reason, people tend to abandon cats more frequently when they move out than they do dogs.

I'm pretty much against wall-to-wall carpeting in SE; it attracts mold and is generally unhealthy. I can see how it could be a cat urine trap.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
The only place I like indoor carpeting is in the living room. It's just too uncomfortable to get down on the floor and play with the grandkids on those wood/laminate floors. And one other thing, we don't allow shoes to be worn inside the house. Drop them by the door.....

Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,955,243 times
Quote:
I'm curious about why some of you think that everyone who might want to move to Alaska is broke, probably on the run from the law and without job skills.

Some of them actually are, as we all know. Every state gets that.

It seems that as soon as someone posts about possibly moving to Alaska, some of you immediately fly in with "advice" on why they should stay put with inferences about how they must be broke and most likely on the lam from the law. If they mention that they have so much as a cat, here comes Stiffy squawking that the kitty should be taken to a shelter because they will never find a place to rent because Alaskan landlords don't like feline pee. Even posters who come here asking about seasonal work are told they'll never be able to make it because of the high cost of living.
Speaking from my own point of view (which is all any of us can do anyway):

When my wife and I decided to move to Alaska, we made a carefully researched and thought-out decision weighing all the pros and cons. We visited several times to get the "lay of the land", then crafted a "five year plan" detailing all of the important milestones that needed to be met (emplyment, housing, logistics, etc). Then we set out executing our plan, which in the end only took us three years to find good paying jobs and relocate.

At no point in our decision making process did I ever feel the need to ask a bunch of complete strangers on the Internet - who's opinions I had absolutely no reason to trust in the first place - to help in the process of one of the most important decisions in our lives. I have complete confidence in our abilities, judgement, and where withall to make the decisions ourselves.

So, when I see someone asking question these typical questions along the lines of "I have no money, no job, no car, and no clue - do you think Alaska is a good place for me?" my first reaction of course is NO! I'm not talking about specific questions about how to ship a car, or how to find a realtor up here etc. But if someone lacks the basic confidence in their own abilities and feels the need to ask this bunch of yokles on this board to help with what will be a life-altering choice, then my answer is an unequivocal no - you are not the type of person that will make it up here. You need to be able to think for yourself first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska