U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM

25 posts, read 38,560 times

Advertisements

Ah yes. Then I see what you mean, except for maybe Pensacola during spring break. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM

8,124 posts, read 5,697,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrt0111 View Post
Ah yes. Then I see what you mean, except for maybe Pensacola during spring break. LOL
And Leon County (Tallahassee).

Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 AM

857 posts, read 1,612,366 times
Quote:

I would be interested in moving to a more Libertarian area of the state so if any Alaskans in this forum could inform me of an area where I could rent a home (and eventually purchase farm land) with as little government intervention as possible, I would really appreciate it.
Farm land with the least government intervention is in the interior, outside the organized boroughs. The Delta area, 100 miles southeast of Fairbanks, the Nenana area, 60 miles southwest of Fairbanks, and the Kenny Lake area, in the southern Copper Basin, maybe 300 miles from Fairbanks, 200 from Anchorage, give or take.

Start out in Fairbanks, or maybe the Mat-Su, where you can rent a place, have a job, and learn the lay of the land.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,592,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Farm land with the least government intervention is in the interior, outside the organized boroughs. The Delta area, 100 miles southeast of Fairbanks, the Nenana area, 60 miles southwest of Fairbanks, and the Kenny Lake area, in the southern Copper Basin, maybe 300 miles from Fairbanks, 200 from Anchorage, give or take.

Start out in Fairbanks, or maybe the Mat-Su, where you can rent a place, have a job, and learn the lay of the land.
I concur, given the requirements. However, it should be noted that the water table in the Kenny Lake area is around 500+ feet deep. Since it costs about $40-$45/foot to drill a well, the overwhelming majority of the Copper Basin residents get their potable water delivered from Kenny Lake.

Either Delta Junction or Nenana would seem to be the best locations.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
However, it should be noted that the water table in the Kenny Lake area is around 500+ feet deep. Since it costs about $40-$45/foot to drill a well, the overwhelming majority of the Copper Basin residents get their potable water delivered from Kenny Lake.
I didn't know about the water table issue in Kenny Lake, although it makes sense because the agricultural area is on sortof a plateau, quite a ways above two rivers. I don't think this is an issue for the Copper Basin as a whole though, certainly not in the communities right along the rivers (Copper Center, Gakona, etc). Not sure about Glennallen itself.

Some cool info on Kenny Lake. Have to admit I really like the place:

http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/dca/...e-GCP-2007.pdf

Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,592,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
I didn't know about the water table issue in Kenny Lake, although it makes sense because the agricultural area is on sortof a plateau, quite a ways above two rivers. I don't think this is an issue for the Copper Basin as a whole though, certainly not in the communities right along the rivers (Copper Center, Gakona, etc). Not sure about Glennallen itself.

Some cool info on Kenny Lake. Have to admit I really like the place:

http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/dca/...e-GCP-2007.pdf
I was looking to buy some remote property near Chitna back in the 1990s. I talked with a couple of Realtors in the area and that was the first thing they told me, the water table was very deep. It is a nice area, well treed, with sandy loam soil and not too much permafrost or musk keg. The only issue was the depth of the water table.

I am less familiar with Nenana and Delta Junction. Although, I am seriously considering moving to Delta Junction when I retire. The Mat-Su is getting too crowded for my comfort.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM

Wells are generally easy to dig in Delta (though there's some glacial moraine you have to watch out for). The water table is shallow in the flats, and I haven't heard about issues with toxic stuff like they have in Fairbanks. We're mostly on relatively well drained glacial and river outwash, and loess. So we have less building issues (and mosquitoes) than other parts of the interior. I don't know much about Nenana, but I remember overhearing something about state ag land sales over there, so there has to be some good land without permafrost.

I hear you about the valley. I moved back down there last winter but it had just lost a lot of its charm after a few years in wide open Delta. I just accepted that a great deal of driving to do anything social is part of the deal, living here as a young person. Hard to beat the peace, quiet, and geography of the area.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM

16,171 posts, read 27,428,664 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting this War Beagle as I have been wondering the same thing. I think you over-generalized a little bit though, when you mentioned that you lived in other states (i.e. Florida) and labeled them socially conservative. I live in Florida and I am certain that Miami, with its topless beaches, nightclub culture, and huge gay population is FAR from socially conservative. Tampa and Key West are too.

Like any state, I'm sure that Alaska has it's pockets of Libertarian and socially Conservative Republicans. After all it's a HUGE state.

I would be interested in moving to a more Libertarian area of the state so if any Alaskans in this forum could inform me of an area where I could rent a home (and eventually purchase farm land) with as little government intervention as possible, I would really appreciate it.

Juneau and Sitka have already been ruled out due to their inclusion in ICLEI. But any other suggestions would be great.

Gobrien, you mentioned that "the government can and does mess with people in Alaska." How so? Can you be more specific? Thanks in advance.
What do you mean to say by "as little government intervention..."? The reason why I ask is because most of Alaska is owned by the Federal Government, and the organized boroughs we have are local governments. However heathen mentioned some areas where there isn't property and other taxes, although eventually all areas where people live in Alaska will be organized into boroughs.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM

8,124 posts, read 5,697,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
What do you mean to say by "as little government intervention..."? The reason why I ask is because most of Alaska is owned by the Federal Government, and the organized boroughs we have are local governments. However heathen mentioned some areas where there isn't property and other taxes, although eventually all areas where people live in Alaska will be organized into boroughs.
Most likely he means as few regulations and property restrictions as possible. Obviously some, such as those related to wild game, apply all over the state.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 PM

4,058 posts, read 8,576,433 times
Just because it's Delta doesn't mean the gov't doesn't mess with you, in certain circumstances they can have free reign with impunity for example some people like to use the child abuse people to play pranks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or