U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 AM

8,124 posts, read 5,694,889 times

Advertisements

Alaska is generally thought of as a conservative state, but that doesn't necessarily say all that much. The two main strains of conservatism in this country are very different. The southeastern bible belt is considered very socially conservative, but they are a kind of conservative I like to call "big government conservative", i.e. let's tell everyone else how to live in their social lives while remaining fairly fiscally conservative.

Most of the western states in the US tend to be more libertarian conservative. Religion isn't as big a deal, some of the states have passed medical marijuana referendums and the government stays out of people's business more overall in both the social and fiscal realms.

When I drove around Alaska, I got the impression the state fell more into this second category. That said, how socially conservative or libertarian is Alaska? For instance, would people in smaller towns and villages freak out about unmarried couples living together in the same way they would in a place like AL or MS? Live and let live seems ideal to me, along with a strong helping of keeping the government out of everyone's hair.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 AM

995 posts, read 837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
For instance, would people in smaller towns and villages freak out about unmarried couples living together in the same way they would in a place like AL or MS?
I lived for many years in rural Florida, and several years in Atlanta. I never saw / heard anyone react to unmarried couples living together, publicly or privately. There were certainly unmarried couples in the churches I attended, no said anything in my presence about it, to each other or to the couples.

I think your characterization of the southeast, and religion in particular, are inaccurate.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 AM

I've lived in TN, FL, GA, OK and TX - all socially conservative areas. Many people do care about unmarried couples living together in that part of the country. But that was only one example and there are variations. For instance, I don't think that is as big a deal in TX as back east.

Depending on where you are in TX, people may or may not ask you what church you go to. In non-urban GA or TN, that will be one of the first questions asked of you as soon as people find out you moved to the area.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 AM

4,058 posts, read 8,575,577 times
We are in the second category for the most part but don't let that fool you because the government can and does mess with people in Alaska. They just don't care if you are unmarried and living together.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 AM

20,417 posts, read 26,539,344 times
Most people in Alaska tend to mind their own business about things like that, although recent influx of people from other states is beginning to have an effect.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 AM

857 posts, read 1,611,896 times
Yes, generally libertarian. And on the other end of the spectrum, even the hippies hunt and fish and are against big government...

It's a mix though. Over the years, we've had a significant influx of both southerners (mainly for oil jobs) and west coast liberals (cuz Alaska is "epic," brah). Both tend to bring their 2-party stereotypes with them.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,589,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Alaska is generally thought of as a conservative state, but that doesn't necessarily say all that much. The two main strains of conservatism in this country are very different. The southeastern bible belt is considered very socially conservative, but they are a kind of conservative I like to call "big government conservative", i.e. let's tell everyone else how to live in their social lives while remaining fairly fiscally conservative.

Most of the western states in the US tend to be more libertarian conservative. Religion isn't as big a deal, some of the states have passed medical marijuana referendums and the government stays out of people's business more overall in both the social and fiscal realms.

When I drove around Alaska, I got the impression the state fell more into this second category. That said, how socially conservative or libertarian is Alaska? For instance, would people in smaller towns and villages freak out about unmarried couples living together in the same way they would in a place like AL or MS? Live and let live seems ideal to me, along with a strong helping of keeping the government out of everyone's hair.
I concur with Metlakatla, Alaskans tend to mind their own business. People can live whatever kind of lifestyle that makes them happy, as long as they do not inflict that lifestyle on others. There are some in Alaska that are very religious, and there are others that are not religious at all.

I would not compare Alaska to other western States, there are too many differences. There is certainly a big influence, culturally, from Washington State, but if I had to compare Alaska with a lower-48 State it might be a mixture of both Wyoming and Texas. Although, I would say Alaska is more open and friendlier than both Wyoming and Texas.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks all. These posts are confirming my impressions of the state.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 AM

25 posts, read 38,547 times
Thanks for posting this War Beagle as I have been wondering the same thing. I think you over-generalized a little bit though, when you mentioned that you lived in other states (i.e. Florida) and labeled them socially conservative. I live in Florida and I am certain that Miami, with its topless beaches, nightclub culture, and huge gay population is FAR from socially conservative. Tampa and Key West are too.

Like any state, I'm sure that Alaska has it's pockets of Libertarian and socially Conservative Republicans. After all it's a HUGE state.

I would be interested in moving to a more Libertarian area of the state so if any Alaskans in this forum could inform me of an area where I could rent a home (and eventually purchase farm land) with as little government intervention as possible, I would really appreciate it.

Juneau and Sitka have already been ruled out due to their inclusion in ICLEI. But any other suggestions would be great.

Gobrien, you mentioned that "the government can and does mess with people in Alaska." How so? Can you be more specific? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrt0111 View Post
Thanks for posting this War Beagle as I have been wondering the same thing. I think you over-generalized a little bit though, when you mentioned that you lived in other states (i.e. Florida) and labeled them socially conservative. I live in Florida and I am certain that Miami, with its topless beaches, nightclub culture, and huge gay population is FAR from socially conservative. Tampa and Key West are too.
You are correct about this. Northern Florida is like the deep south and mid to southern Florida is more like a blue state. I lived in northern FL, hence my over-generalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or