Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:55 AM

287 posts, read 598,926 times

Advertisements

LOL - on the other thread " What can you do for Anchorage" it was suggested - "more police"... now you're getting "more police" and you don't want them. People want a way to stop the law breakers, but very seldom like the method...

Over-fishing and over-hunting kill fish and game nearly to the point of extinction, but yet people keep doing it due to money...

As far as health care - I take 1 pill that is $45 each / daily... Can't get "outside" coverage due to "pre-existing" condition rules.

The only way I can get coverage is "new employee" part of coverage from a job - if offered... The only "saving" grace I have since "health reform" is I can get medicare - for $99 a month... But I would have to pay the "first months" supply to meet the deductible of the plan... about $1800.

But I'm not sitting on welfare and have a job with health insurance.

The real problem IS NOT the "lazy" people sitting on welfare, but the welfare program itself allowing them to just sit there... The entire program needs to be rebuilt. Time limits put in place, and NO MORE PAYING FOR "EXTRA" CHILDREN!!! they all seem to "have" while on welfare... If you can F * * K, you can work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
The real problem IS NOT the "lazy" people sitting on welfare, but the welfare program itself allowing them to just sit there... The entire program needs to be rebuilt.
The Works Projects Administration (WPA) from the depression era seems like a good model to reform welfare:

Works Progress Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
You aren't really getting it, brewmeister. The fed. halibut cops don't do that much to prevent halibut abuse. Their focus is off.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You aren't really getting it, brewmeister. The fed. halibut cops don't do that much to prevent halibut abuse. Their focus is off.
When isn't a government's control focus off... but isn't the biggest impact on them the fishing boats?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
I don't really understand your sentence, but I have a feeling this is a subject you know very little about.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
LOL - on the other thread " What can you do for Anchorage" it was suggested - "more police"... now you're getting "more police" and you don't want them. People want a way to stop the law breakers, but very seldom like the method...

Over-fishing and over-hunting kill fish and game nearly to the point of extinction, but yet people keep doing it due to money...

As far as health care - I take 1 pill that is $45 each / daily... Can't get "outside" coverage due to "pre-existing" condition rules.

The only way I can get coverage is "new employee" part of coverage from a job - if offered... The only "saving" grace I have since "health reform" is I can get medicare - for $99 a month... But I would have to pay the "first months" supply to meet the deductible of the plan... about $1800.

But I'm not sitting on welfare and have a job with health insurance.

The real problem IS NOT the "lazy" people sitting on welfare, but the welfare program itself allowing them to just sit there... The entire program needs to be rebuilt. Time limits put in place, and NO MORE PAYING FOR "EXTRA" CHILDREN!!! they all seem to "have" while on welfare... If you can F * * K, you can work.

It would have been really simple to make the Healthcare simple and bring the costs down.

Limit class action Lawsuits

Allow all insurance companies to operate in all States, currently they have "Territory", there is little competition.

Set a base rate for everyone and preexisting conditions have to be excepted.

Instead we have some people sitting in a glass tower someplace still adding to what should have been a three to four page bill, a two thousand page (and growing daily with no over site) bill that includes 5,000 new IRS agents to insure that all of you are going to get audited and that has nothing to do with making health care better! Rarely when you are audited do you get a refund!

They have totally destroyed healthcare and in five years those that claimed it was going to be so great will realize you have sold your soul for crap! It will be too late to return since what we had is going to be "Cratered!"

I don't mind the welfare program paying for the kids, but since mom and dad are clearly healthy enough to have kids, they should work. Have the welfare programs put the kids into a daycare center and the parents will be free to work, picking up trash along the highway, sweeping sidewalks, painting elderly people's homes and the like. Nope it's not glamorous work, but if your are a no show, then you're a no pay. You would be suprised at how many will find work that pays more, if no work is aviable, they still have an income that isn't designed to put them on easy street, but get by until they can improve themselves.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I don't mind the welfare program paying for the kids, but since mom and dad are clearly healthy enough to have kids, they should work. Have the welfare programs put the kids into a daycare center and the parents will be free to work, picking up trash along the highway, sweeping sidewalks, painting elderly people's homes and the like. Nope it's not glamorous work, but if your are a no show, then you're a no pay. You would be suprised at how many will find work that pays more, if no work is aviable, they still have an income that isn't designed to put them on easy street, but get by until they can improve themselves.
That will never happen due to the "demeaning" nature of the work... Being on welfare is (supposed) to be considered "demeaning" enough - but it doesn't seem to keep people from riding it out as long as possible...

A lot of things need "revamping", but as long as lobbyist are in control, it will never change to benefit us...

Old 12-02-2012, 05:38 PM

811 posts, read 1,317,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't really understand your sentence.
Sounds like me typing..

Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM

811 posts, read 1,317,709 times
The state an feds have "other things" they could be doing.. Like busting illegals coming over the border, dope dealers, local crimes.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
Quote:
That will never happen due to the "demeaning" nature of the work... Being on welfare is (supposed) to be considered "demeaning" enough - but it doesn't seem to keep people from riding it out as long as possible...

A lot of things need "revamping", but as long as lobbyist are in control, it will never change to benefit us...
It used to be that people didn't talk much about being on Welfare... most felt it was "demeaning".. but I have found the opposite is true anymore... I've heard a lot bragging about how they don't have to deal with the "rat race" and perhaps it is due to 3rd generations in the same families following the same patterns and it has become the only way of life they know (very sad)...

I have no problem giving a hand "Up" to those falling on bad times... but "work for a check" sounds like a great idea to me... I have had to pump gas, clean out toilets through out my life to make enough to put food on my table.... I have no special skills or no one in power to get me a job... I just have the will to work hard at ANY type of job to provide for my needs...

Gosh I know this makes me sound old... but does it seem like the "What's in it for me" population is the majority?...

I'm usually an optimist but maybe it is also the fact I work in claims and see too many people trying to "fraud" the system which hurts ALL the policy holders...

WELL on that note... Happy Monday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska