Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,632 times

Advertisements

I have a female cousin who is considering a 13 week temp assignment in Kobuk, Alaska starting the second week of Dec. 2012. She has been told she would be walking to work, a “short” distance of ¼ mile. While the distance maybe short there was no reference to the 20 and 50 below temps, snow, ice and wind. My questions are numerous. Where could she possible obtain the proper clothing? My thoughts are the money outlay for the necessary clothing would diminish the per diem and hourly wage. Also she is a member of Bills’ house and there are no physical meetings in Kobuk. She was told the nearest are in Barrow. I have a old set of snow shoes and old snow mobile but there are in North Minnesota. I have been to the Arctic Circle in Norway and the Antarctic Circle both were in the summer months for each location. While the locations were cold had the clothing required. I think the experience would be great if she had more time to prepare and if a different season. Any and all help, suggestions and replies would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 04:40 PM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
There are lots of specifics one could go into here, but to be very brief, Kobuk is a small native village, with a population of around 160. All but maybe a dozen people are native. No roads in or out, no ferry, only bush air service when the weather allows (talking small planes and airstrips, no real airport). The fact that it's within the US border means very little, when it comes to culture and lifestyle. Expect no shopping, eating out, nothing but a school, clinic, community center, and maybe a small store with limited hours.

That said (and I'll bet others will chime in with more doom and gloom), the experience your cousin will have really depends on only two things: her personality and the quality and personalized helpfulness of her employer.

If she's adventurous, strong, social and friendly, yet cautious and reserved when appropriate, she's likely to have an extraordinarily unique, positive, life changing experience. Suffice to say that she needs to be in a good place mentally at the beginning of this (note: I don't know what Bills' House is). It will be a challenge. Given the very short notice, her employer MUST be very helpful in this situation. There's no realistic way she can adequately prepare herself without some active guidance from someone on the ground, both before she arrives and after she gets there. If she senses anything shady, or the arrangements aren't air tight, it should be called off. For around three months, she probably won't be leaving the village, maybe a trip to Kotzebue at the farthest (northwest arctic hub with Alaska airlines jet service - but still no roads). Barrow and Fairbanks (which has the nearest road access) are both hundreds of miles away.

Some more specifics: Yes she will need full arctic clothing to walk a quarter mile in Kobuk. Can't remember what village (might have been Kobuk), but just a couple years ago a child died from exposure walking home from school during a blizzard out there somewhere in the western arctic. It IS doable, but she MUST be prepared for it. Also, being an unaccompanied female in the villages can absolutely be a concern. She must be living alone or with other females, in a secure situation. Pepper spray is not a bad idea.

Just fyi: I'm basing my response on generalizations about bush / village Alaska, and the northwest arctic specifically. I've never been to Kobuk and don't know anyone from there.

Last edited by heathen; 11-30-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times

Marmot Winter Layering System with Professional Mountain Guide Keith Garvey - YouTube

Layers.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:42 PM

96 posts, read 257,045 times
I have been to Kobuk quite a few times. It is a typical tiny village, yes you can walk anywhere in a couple minutes. Full Arctic gear is a must. Life in the village is what you make it, it can be worthwhile or it can be a nightmare.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,632 times
Thanks for all the info. She decided she did not have the resources on such a short notice to be properly prepared for the assignment.
Again, I appreciate all respones.
Have a GREAT one!
FEFKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska