U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 10,033 times

Advertisements

Where would the best place in Alaska be to move...after living in Southern Cal for a long time...I want a change. Love the outdoors. Hiking...etc. I'm a single woman with no kids...I've been all over the world but not Alaska...what is it like? Friendly, job opportunities? Home prices?

Any information would be great. I'm looking at Oregon and Colorado too.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 04:17 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,896,253 times
Depends on what you are looking for in a community. Anchorage is a typical largish city with access to all the amenities and is 20 minutes away from the real Alaska. Fairbanks has many of the same amenities, but is a much fiercer environment. Winters are harsher and summers are warmer. Juneau is milder all the way around. A lot depends on the work you plan on doing. Certain jobs are available only in the larger cities, and other jobs are more "bush" oriented. Money is always a driving factor. Cost of living is always higher in the bush, and people make do with less in the way of material things. The further away from the road system, the less folks dwell on the appearance of their circumstances. "Make it do or do without".

Hope this will give you some idea of the questions you need to ask.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:39 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,926,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klynnk View Post
Where would the best place in Alaska be to move...after living in Southern Cal for a long time...I want a change. Love the outdoors. Hiking...etc. I'm a single woman with no kids...I've been all over the world but not Alaska...what is it like? Friendly, job opportunities? Home prices?
Any information would be great. I'm looking at Oregon and Colorado too.
Thanks in advance for any help.
I moved up here about a year and a half ago. Anchorage is a large city for Ak but not for lower 48. I'm from DC and around and I find Anchorage to be a nice size not too big not too small.

Jobs depend on what you do for a living. There are jobs here but of course not as many as in a larger lower 48 city. Go on line and search also the Anchorage Daily News classified.

Cost of Apartments doesn't seem to be any lower or higher than the DC area but not as many choices. Doesn't mean you can't find a place, just don't think , oh it'll be cheap. Lots of folks looking for roommates if you want to go that route at least for a little while.

Ak seems to be just as friendly as anywhere else maybe a little more so.

Anyway, those are my opinions I like it here and I really wouldn't have been considered totally outdoorsy.
I was ready for a change and thought of Oregon and Washington State but figured if I was going to move I might as well go all the way. Hey, you can always move back.
Good Luck!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:22 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,962,198 times
Default first off, take some vacation time

First off, take some vacation time and visit before you jump in with both feet. Summer is usually more fun (unless you're the XC skier type or some sort of Nordic ice-fishing masochist) but the real test is winter or early spring. If you come up to ANC just after the snow melts but before it greens up and turns pretty, you're seeing it at its worst....if you can take that go ahead and sell the house in CA!

If you can swing it, take a couple weeks off and do some traveling to get a look at some towns of different sizes, things change pretty quickly once you leave the Anchorage bowl. Drive up to Fairbanks or down to Homer, or just hang out in ANC and really get an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 7,975 times
I spent a few weeks in AK 20 years ago, the whole state is awesome but my favorite city is Anchorage a beautiful place with beautiful mountains, good people, not crowded, a rock in place. I've been talking about going back ever since.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:16 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,692,548 times
Wonder after 7 years if klyynk made it or not...

Hope you get to come back b bob...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska