U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,943,039 times

Advertisements

Just got a call from a friend, another friend had his wife involved in an accident last night. She has a broken leg, her daughter and grand daughter (baby) were Ok, but the occupants in the other car were killed. I guess it happened by Skinny's bar going into Fairbanks. It will be news in the paper since she is the daughter-in-law of a well known Alaskan. But will let the news media release names first.

Will know more later.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
This is on the trooper report...

Case Number: AK12253122
Type: MVC-F
Text: : On 11/30/12 at 1537 hours Alaska State Troopers received a report of a multiple vehicle crash near Mile Post 336.5 Parks Highway. Investigation revealed that a 2008 Nissan Altima driven by Shawn Dugan (25 YOA, FT Wainwright/Homestead, Iowa) was heading south bound to Anchorage. Dugan's passenger was identified as Sandy Graetzsch (33 YOA, Fairbanks). Dugan lost control of his car as he slowed to make a right hand corner on the highway. Witnesses report that Dugan's car skidded out of control and crossed the centerline. Rhonda Coghill (49 YOA, Nenana) was north bound with her daughter, Ladonna Coghill (28 YOA, Nenana), and her granddaughter, Arianna Coghill (4 YOA, Nenana). Rhonda Coghill attempted to avoid the crash by driving her 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche to the shoulder, but the Altima and Avalanche collided in one of the two north bound lanes. Graetzsch and Dugan were killed in the crash. Next of kin for both have been notified. The Coghill's were transported to Fairbanks Memorial Hospital. Everyone in Coghill's vehicle were properly restrained in seat belts and a child safety seat. The status of seat belt use in the Altima is pending further investigation. Alcohol is not believed to be a factor.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:39 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,284,150 times
These things are just tragic no matter how you look at them. Winter driving is hazardous and one always needs to be aware.

Fort Wainwright Soldier and Fairbanks Woman Killed in Parks Highway Crash - ktuu.com

And another perfect reminder to ALWAYS wear your seatbelts!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,692,548 times
I agree Moose on both points...

And that made news all the way down here.

It is also a reminder that the larger vehicle typically wins, which is why 'we' typically do not
Like small vehicles.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I agree Moose on both points...

And that made news all the way down here.

It is also a reminder that the larger vehicle typically wins, which is why 'we' typically do not
Like small vehicles.
You know it's funny you mentioned that, for the last bunch of years the stupid "anti" groups that want us to drive electric hybrids, keep saying how dangerous SUVs are, yet it appears they are so to the hybrids and eco cars they want us to drive. Ronda and her family would more than likely been killed had they been in a smaller car. I have a number of friends that have survived wrecks where smaller cars were involved and it killed their occupants. I rather like my truck!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 PM

16,171 posts, read 27,428,664 times
I drive both an old Civic Si and a 1988 GMC Sierra truck, but know very well that a truck would plow over me should I be driving the Civic

However, I have always kept an eye on the traffic around me as a defensive measure. Several times after a traffic light turning green I have avoided being smashed by vehicles that ran the red light, by just taking a moment to look to the left and right before moving ahead. When stopped at a light I aways watch the vehicle that's coming to a stop behind me, and am prepared to move out of the way if I have to.

It's pretty sad that so many people are killed on traffic accidents in the interior.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Ray - That is basic survival driving techniques here... And yes, it is very sad the number of people that die in traffic accidents on a daily basis.

And I mean no disrespect to those that do drive smaller vehicles- just stating the laws of physics. It doesn't always play out that way, but most times it does. Many years agao, I handled an accident where a motorcyclist hit a Ford Explorer (the old truck based one) and the motorcyclist lived and the driver of the explorer didn't. He flew over the truck and the bike went into the explorer. Leather and a Helmet...

As a friend of mine eloquently put it at work, I'll start driving a smart car when everyone else does, until then I'll keep my large SUV. There is section of road I drive to work, where my F350, crew cab, long bed, 4x4 truck is at times the smallest vehicle on the road... Those larger vehicles can't stop on a dime, so you are always looking out for them- I am just a bug on their windshield. Usually, I am driving a much smaller company vehicle.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 PM

32 posts, read 70,710 times
Also note that some of those "smaller", lighter weight vehicles are destroyed and passengers injured by a 4 legged item and not a 4 wheeled item. Some of these 4 legged items have about half the weight/mass of the "smaller" vehicle...and there is not even a semi intelligent human in control of the 4 legged item...not a problem exclusive to AK...all about E=MC2.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM

The curve where the accident happened is at, is a point where being a defensive driver is almost mute.

The cars coming down the hill are routinely coming off the long hill at 70+ MPH and when it is slick that can be requiring half that speed.

But when you come to that and many curves, there is simply not enough time to react to a an oncoming driver when the closing speed is well over 100 MPH, going too fast for the road conditions at hand is just careless when you are in a 2,000+ projectile out of control!

In this case the driver that appears to have caused the wreck paid the price for inattention, Ronda and her family get to go home in bandages and a cast, but they get to go home!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:55 AM

Yes, certain things are out of your 'control' - you just do the best you can, to try and avoid a bad situation. Like making sure people actually STOP at a red light. I can't tell you how many times that 2-5 second pause has saved me down here. Some of those 4-legged animals I saw driving around this summer looked like they weighed more than the 4wd Expedition I was driving... (Moose, Bison)

Not much any of us could have done to avoid that accident - nowhere to really even go on that road and that speed limit speeds. Other than the person who was going way too fast for conditions could have been going a whole lot slower.

Now I have a question, in my travels I have seen 'Winter Speed Limits', what are the bloggers thoughts on that? Does that long hill and corner area have signs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska