U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 01:48 AM

127 posts, read 161,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
Here is the tree line as you go out of town. Note the single tree between the road and the town. The willows are maybe 3-5 feet high and the Dogwood trees were about 6 inches tall. Good luck hiding your tent so it isn't visible. Of course the good news is there are no bears just a few ground squirrels and foxes along with numerous Bald Eagles. I have a total of 300 + pictures while we were there and most of them show sunshine.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1026677...48938920085554

thx for the pixs. i like that one tree. its a nice tree lol. thx for telling me there no bears. one snuck up on my in PA one time at a camp fire and i've had a grudge ever since. i can't wait to see all the eagle there. i really see one here in up state ny.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 09:04 PM

7 posts, read 11,000 times
Haha I just saw this post. I am in Unalaska. It's so cold and windy right now I dread walking my dog and I've got GREAT winter gear. NO WAY anyone can camp, too wet/snowy/rainy/windy sometimes all at once. Please be sensible and maybe you can get a room at a bunkhouse or something, there are a few. Some companies like Alaskan Leader Fisheries :: Providing employment opportunities for those willing to accept the challenge of working in Alaskan Waters :: Lynden, WA 98264 - Home and lots of others hire for onboard processors, then if you're good you can work into being on deck (guessing!) My husband runs a boat here, we've been here for 15 years Kodiak before that. We know this life. It's not easy without resources. We came with a job and housing set up for us, that's pretty much the norm. Just showing up is so hard.
We do have more trees than everyone is saying but they're mostly in town on the Amaknak (aka Dutch Harbor) side and in a park that you definitely can't camp at. Get hired on a processor on land or on a boat...well it sounds too late for that. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

Old 12-23-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel in AK View Post
Haha I just saw this post. I am in Unalaska. It's so cold and windy right now I dread walking my dog and I've got GREAT winter gear. NO WAY anyone can camp, too wet/snowy/rainy/windy sometimes all at once. Please be sensible and maybe you can get a room at a bunkhouse or something, there are a few. Some companies like Alaskan Leader Fisheries :: Providing employment opportunities for those willing to accept the challenge of working in Alaskan Waters :: Lynden, WA 98264 - Home and lots of others hire for onboard processors, then if you're good you can work into being on deck (guessing!) My husband runs a boat here, we've been here for 15 years Kodiak before that. We know this life. It's not easy without resources. We came with a job and housing set up for us, that's pretty much the norm. Just showing up is so hard.
We do have more trees than everyone is saying but they're mostly in town on the Amaknak (aka Dutch Harbor) side and in a park that you definitely can't camp at. Get hired on a processor on land or on a boat...well it sounds too late for that. If you have questions, feel free to ask!
i'm a tough guy i can take care of myself and i don't sleep much. maybe 4 or 6hr if i'm lucky, if i can tent can get away w it. cool but i will be trying to get a roof over my head first. just saying if things don't work out for awhile i already expect to rough it a lil bit. i'll be spending most my time walking about getting familiar w my new surroundings. i like being in new places i love to travel, i've been all over so i'm not fazed by change i guess u could say. i just wanna get out there and work for a bit, i'm very excited. it sounds like u and your husband love alaska. i've been saying for a long time i need to go there and something just keeps telling to go there. one of those things i just have to do. i like testing myself a lil bit. theres no point in making things easy lol lifes hard. i'm glad to have u have more trees there lol. i do have a few questions. should i buy my commercial fishing license here online or there? also. when my plain lands. where should i start? i was thinking start at the docks and see what vessels are in. and try to show my face around the bars stores ext... is there a place that would be a good idea to stop at. i mainly wanna try to find work on a boat but i will do anything. i just need work. what kind of boat does he run. how does he like the life that comes with it?

Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,304,943 times

Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 AM

6,905 posts, read 11,692,577 times
I'm beginning to think this is a joke thread. Why not go to Kodiak where they have trees and a WalMart if all else fails? This going to Unalaska with absolutely nothing lined up doesn't even make logical sense. No housing, no job, nothing. Where are you gonna plug your computer in???

Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I'm beginning to think this is a joke thread. Why not go to Kodiak where they have trees and a WalMart if all else fails? This going to Unalaska with absolutely nothing lined up doesn't even make logical sense. No housing, no job, nothing. Where are you gonna plug your computer in???

don't get me wrong i work and have money saved up for the trip. i think of it as a work vacation. i need a break from around here and i always wanted to go to alasaka. i wanna work on a boat. its that simple. i don't much appreciate u calling me a joke, why do u think i'm on here looking for info. no commie walmart for me, i'm an American. i don't support slavery sweat shopped over seas making clothes for americans. me doing my research is what will line me up. i'm a little more able than most ppl and have a little bit more confidence in myself than u do. i would appreciate any good info u could offer me. thx

Old 12-24-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxboy99 View Post
don't get me wrong i work and have money saved up for the trip. i think of it as a work vacation. i need a break from around here and i always wanted to go to alasaka. i wanna work on a boat. its that simple. i don't much appreciate u calling me a joke, why do u think i'm on here looking for info. no commie walmart for me, i'm an American. i don't support slavery sweat shopped over seas making clothes for americans. me doing my research is what will line me up. i'm a little more able than most ppl and have a little bit more confidence in myself than u do. i would appreciate any good info u could offer me. thx
WalMart sells the exact same stuff that Target, KMart, JCPenny and Sears does. Same Chinese they sell at Cableas, BassPro and Sportsmans Warehouse.

As a matter of fact those XtraTuff boots you just bought were made in China. They recently closed there plant in the US and moved it over there.

Tell us what your Plan B. How long can you stay in Unalaska without a job or housing before you have to leave? I'd like to hear about your exit strategy. Maybe then I'd take you more seriously. As of now you sound like you've spent too much time watching Deadliest Catch...

Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
WalMart sells the exact same stuff that Target, KMart, JCPenny and Sears does. Same Chinese they sell at Cableas, BassPro and Sportsmans Warehouse.

As a matter of fact those XtraTuff boots you just bought were made in China. They recently closed there plant in the US and moved it over there.

Tell us what your Plan B. How long can you stay in Unalaska without a job or housing before you have to leave? I'd like to hear about your exit strategy. Maybe then I'd take you more seriously. As of now you sound like you've spent too much time watching Deadliest Catch...

yeah i heard that xtratufs are now china made. what a shame. yet another american company shut down and more ppl out of work. great i know i heard. i try not to shop they walmarts or targets. that's just me. stiff this isn't my first journey i've taken. i've been to holland 2x, israel, FL, CA x2, PA, NJ, NYC and many more places. lol i told u i like to travel, this is what i do. some ppl stay in one spot there whole lives im nomadic. i can't stay in one spot too long or i get stir crazy. i like seeing and doing new things. so i'm not new to this. i make sure i can get some where safe if i need to, i'm no dummy. i'll make u a deal stiff, i tell u my plan b,c, and d. and u stop being so doubtful about things and help me out w the time i have left before i leave. deal?

again your negative comment at the end of each comment isn't needed. every blue collar job is exploted on tv these days to swamp the industry not just fishing. i know of a few different construction projects going on at dutch. i work construction of all sorts. theres cannery work and processors work and i'm ready to go for fishing or really do anything. after the season i may go to kodiak for work or seattle, i'm not sure yet. i'll see how things go. i have family on the west coast so if i really need somewhere to go i have a place. like i said i need change. and i've wanted to go here.have u ever had life goals? well i do. going here and learning a new trade is just what i wanna do.

Last edited by gsxboy99; 12-24-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
.have u ever had life goals? well i do. going here and learning a new trade is just what i wanna do.
Yes, plenty of lifes goals. I wanted to work as a police officer in Alaska years ago. A friend told me about his experiences up here. But I didn't just buy a ticket and fly up here without a job. That was back in the days before the internet was invented.

I subscribed to the Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau newspapers. I sent in resumes and filled out applications for every cop job they advertised. Finally in March of 1984 the North Slope Borough police department offered me a job in Barrow. I had never been there before or even heard of it. But I took the job and moved up there.

Imagine what my predicament would have been if just moved up there with no job or no housing lined up. I'd have got off the plane and then what?

I guess those are my serious questions to you. After you get off the plane what is the first thing you are going to do? You're bringing all this fishing gear and tent and clothes, what are you going to do with that stuff? Where are you going to put it? Where are you going to sleep the first night your there? Did you already call ahead and make arrangements for a place to stay for at least the first few days while you figure out where to set up camp?

I inject a bit of negativity because I've seen first hand what happens to individuals and families that come up here totally unprepared chasing a pipe dream. Yes, I had to tell a young man and his family of 8 that arrived here in Fairbanks in the winter of 1991 in a barely running motorhome that they had already finished building the Trans Alaska oil pipeline. He had no other plan. The look of dejection on his face said it all. I gave him the phone numbers to the local social services agencies and left. There really wasn't anything else I could do.

The NWS says it's currently 32 degrees with light snow falling in Unalaska...

Old 12-24-2012, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 11,000 times
Quote:
i'm a tough guy i can take care of myself and i don't sleep much. maybe 4 or 6hr if i'm lucky, if i can tent can get away w it. cool but i will be trying to get a roof over my head first. just saying if things don't work out for awhile i already expect to rough it a lil bit. i'll be spending most my time walking about getting familiar w my new surroundings. i like being in new places i love to travel, i've been all over so i'm not fazed by change i guess u could say. i just wanna get out there and work for a bit, i'm very excited. it sounds like u and your husband love alaska. i've been saying for a long time i need to go there and something just keeps telling to go there. one of those things i just have to do. i like testing myself a lil bit. theres no point in making things easy lol lifes hard. i'm glad to have u have more trees there lol. i do have a few questions. should i buy my commercial fishing license here online or there? also. when my plain lands. where should i start? i was thinking start at the docks and see what vessels are in. and try to show my face around the bars stores ext... is there a place that would be a good idea to stop at. i mainly wanna try to find work on a boat but i will do anything. i just need work. what kind of boat does he run. how does he like the life that comes with it?
Not to be a downer, but that's what all the greenhorns on "That Show" say about Unalaska/DH and the Bering Sea. I have no idea where you can even camp --maybe a bunker? Probably illegal? Walking around --not really done a lot, but you can do it, the roads are usually pretty snowy and icy and visibility often sucks. It'll all make sense soon.
Hmmm airport... then? Check with the processors for a bunk house room, really not my world, I'm way out in "the valley" on the Unalaska side and not totally up on the transient side of things. The library (Unalaska side) has free computers to use. The pool and the PCR (rec center, both on the Unalaska side) will let you pay $5 or so to shower and workout/sauna/swim. You can get your license at AK Ship Supply if you get a job, it just takes a couple of minutes. I do know that I work for some boats and take new guys shopping there.
The docks or the bars I suppose, seems like a lot of the vessels are at the new Carl E Moses boat harbor on the Unalaska side, but some are still "on the spit" out past the airport. And sometimes I see them at the small boat harbor too. The ones that are working and busy tend to tie up at the docks to deliver --Unisea, Coastal- Pac Steve/Kloosterboer/OSI/Westward/Aleyska and not in the harbors at all. It's a funny town, friendly but harder than most to navigate without having a situation set up ahead of time or any contacts. Good luck!
My husband runs a state patrol vessel, not a commercial boat. And yeah we have been in AK over 100 years on both sides of the family, we are very comfortable here. It's a GREAT town, we have raised our family here. The school is award-winning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska