U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM

43 posts, read 135,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
I thought Tim Osmar's property in Ninilchik-ish was priceless.

I suspect that a lot of slope workers, guides and other upper earners are cashing out and running off south.
a lot of them just live in Vegas or some where and fly to anchorage, the company pays from there on...

I personally think we should discourage that as much as possible (untill the pipeline closes... current political ideals are screwing this state slowly...) "Higher alaskan" should be our motto..

Maybe a non-resident income tax... say 40% ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 PM

8,158 posts, read 5,723,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
That will most likely be extreme southern California or central Florida on down... Although for the most part none of Florida gets any real snow accumulation. And that buying Alaska show just reinforces everyone's belief down here that Alaska is NOT the place for them...
Correct. I went to FSU in Tallahassee, which is about as far north as you can get in the state. Snowfall in that part of the state is very infrequent, though obviously much more likely than further south, and mostly occurs as flurries. NOAA put together some interesting data about snowfall in Tallahassee: Snowfall in Tallahassee

Throughout the southeastern US in general, you are more likely to experience ice/sleet/wintry mix than snow. There is a belt in the South that runs roughly along the line from Dallas to Atlanta and east that gets severe ice storms every few years. These are FAR worse than when there is a significant pure snow event.

Once you get far enough south into FL, you won't see any kind of wintry precipitation, barring some bizarre freak event. The people from Miami I went to school with started to complain about the cold as soon as it dropped below 70.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:38 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,606,528 times
I like the State Trooper show, (so much beautiful scenery and wildlife, plus unusual circumstances that you don't see on other cop shows!!!!), and I've seen one Buying Alaska. This particular show had folks looking for a home that could house sled/racing dogs on the property......one house was 'decent' with a couple of bedrooms, indoor baths and nice kitchen that you would see anywhere. The other two were unbelievable if one is expecting civilization. Outhouses, no running water, one had a kitchen 'area' that looked like camping tables and the other had a kitchen building not even near the house, electricity, (bare bulbs), through generators only. One house had 'settled' and the walls were separating, (inches, not a few centimeters).

You really have to hand it to folks who live in these remote areas. Talk about survival skills!!!!!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM

17 posts, read 32,416 times
Buying Alaska is on Destination America, new episodes on Sunday night. I think it is a fun show to watch. The last episode it was a Firefighter and his wife looking for a "man cave" cabin.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 PM

287 posts, read 484,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I like the State Trooper show, (so much beautiful scenery and wildlife, plus unusual circumstances that you don't see on other cop shows!!!!), and I've seen one Buying Alaska. This particular show had folks looking for a home that could house sled/racing dogs on the property......one house was 'decent' with a couple of bedrooms, indoor baths and nice kitchen that you would see anywhere. The other two were unbelievable if one is expecting civilization. Outhouses, no running water, one had a kitchen 'area' that looked like camping tables and the other had a kitchen building not even near the house, electricity, (bare bulbs), through generators only. One house had 'settled' and the walls were separating, (inches, not a few centimeters).

You really have to hand it to folks who live in these remote areas. Talk about survival skills!!!!!
People did it - and are still doing it - this way... long before custom gourmet kitchens, convection ovens and dishwasher with steam sanitizers ever existed...

And a "kitchen building" is nothing new and is a safety feature so the entire house doesn't burn down... a lot of fires start in the kitchen...

Old 12-15-2012, 05:20 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,706,846 times
Dcbrewmaster- never thought of the safety aspect, but that makes a ton of sense.

War beagle - yep my coworkers break out the parkas when the temp dips below 70... That is +70F.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:01 PM

287 posts, read 484,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Dcbrewmaster- never thought of the safety aspect, but that makes a ton of sense.

War beagle - yep my coworkers break out the parkas when the temp dips below 70... That is +70F.
The old "homestead" still had the "kitchen house" on property... over the years a room was converted to a full blown kitchen - the KH was used for BBQ's and such over the summer...

And yeah the "below 70" thing cracked me up when I was in Phoenix... only I think it was more like 80...

Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,656 times
Hi,

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but as it is about reality shows it seems appropriate! I am contacting you from a UK based television company and am developing a television series about survival stories in Alaska for the National Geographic Channel in the US. I am looking for survival experts to appear within the documentary and am keen to feature former Alaskan State Troopers.

To give you a little background on the company I work for and the type of television/films we make visit our website Darlow Smithson Productions: Home. We produce a range of documentaries specializing in survival stories as well as science and features films.

I am looking for a number of experts that can comment on what individuals should do in different survival scenarios as well as pass on useful survival tips for anyone that is lost in the wild etc.

If you are interested in finding out more please get in touch with a short biography of your experience and a photograph. I can be reached on jonathan.davenport@dsp.tv

Best wishes

Jon Davenport
Producer

Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 AM

2,025 posts, read 2,763,525 times
I wonder if they still have that Wilderness Survival class at Chugiak High School?

Saved my butt once out in the woods after getting a sled good and stuck, no shovel, no matches, MacGuyvered a fire and dug myself out with a stick, saw a fireball and a UFO, and on the way home after all that I heard about this show called "Survivor". Figured I could totally do that but nobody asked me, their loss.

That was a great class, we not only made a survival kit, we used it on an overnight campout. We were allowed the contents of a small coffee can, in which we had to put our shelter and food for 24 hours, firestarters and signal devices. That's the stuff we should be teaching kids.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 AM

96 posts, read 178,393 times
And here is another one in the works. Good grief, when will it end....

TV Casting: Taxi Drivers in Alaska
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or