U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:08 AM

7,016 posts, read 6,832,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Four-wheel drive and front-wheel drives are very useful for Fairbanks winters.
ummmm....this thread is from.......
10-21-2007, 04:20 AM
Arcticthaw

3 YEARS OLD!!! WTH???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 12:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,788,844 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVzj3_MUBjE

Old 10-31-2010, 02:17 PM

13,001 posts, read 14,329,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Four-wheel drive and front-wheel drives are very useful for Fairbanks winters.
That's true. And then if someone wants more traction on the ice roads, studded tires can do that.
--
Subaru's are quite popular up here, but before you buy a used Subaru that has no warranty, first visit one of the numerous Subaru forums and ask questions about which are the problems areas of the motor and rest of the power train. I have a 2009 Forester, and this thing is surefooted on the snow and ice. But I have extended warranty on it, just in case the head gaskets fail.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:59 PM

6,686 posts, read 4,961,639 times
What a great video. looks like a good idea.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:59 PM

5,353 posts, read 7,122,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's true. And then if someone wants more traction on the ice roads, studded tires can do that.
But I have extended warranty on it, just in case the head gaskets fail.
Absolutely. If you can find a used pre-1996 Subaru that's been taken care of latch on to it. The older ones weren't prone to the head gasket leaks.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:09 PM

21,030 posts, read 22,537,643 times
Ford Ranger Four Door...XLT of course.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Absolutely. If you can find a used pre-1996 Subaru that's been taken care of latch on to it. The older ones weren't prone to the head gasket leaks.
Subaru screwed-up a good thing when they redesigned the boxer motor. The open-deck design is prone to head-gasket problems. I believe that they are re-modyfing the motor again. One of the changes is not using a timing belt, and going back to a chain. Hopefully they will also the head/block contact area. The old motor was very reliable, and that's why one can see so many very old Subaru automobiles on the road.

One can see the difference between the open and close-deck designs in this link:
Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - Subaru 2.5L Engine/Motor Building 101

Old 10-31-2010, 11:05 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,902,194 times
^ I never have liked the boxer engine. I find it to be a rough engine with entirely too much vibration. My friend's sister bought an 07 Outback, and I drove it for a day, and the roughness of the acceleration and the resulting vibration drove me nuts. Volvo's old 5 cylinders had a very similar quality to them, although for some reason I found it much more tolerable in my V70 Volvo than in the 07 Outback. The quality of the Subaru interior was fairly good, but to me what ruined that car was the engine. They could take a lesson from Volvo on seat design as well. Personally, I am devoted fan of Honda engines now. I have an 06 Accord with the 4 cylinder, and it's fantastic. Very smooth engine, you don't even notice that it's a 4 cylinder. I think my next car will be an AWD Honda CR-V with a MANUAL transmission. Absolutely crucial for winter driving, as you can use the engine to slow you down. But yeah, I've heard great things about the CR-V and the Element.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ I never have liked the boxer engine. I find it to be a rough engine with entirely too much vibration. My friend's sister bought an 07 Outback, and I drove it for a day, and the roughness of the acceleration and the resulting vibration drove me nuts. Volvo's old 5 cylinders had a very similar quality to them, although for some reason I found it much more tolerable in my V70 Volvo than in the 07 Outback. The quality of the Subaru interior was fairly good, but to me what ruined that car was the engine. They could take a lesson from Volvo on seat design as well. Personally, I am devoted fan of Honda engines now. I have an 06 Accord with the 4 cylinder, and it's fantastic. Very smooth engine, you don't even notice that it's a 4 cylinder. I think my next car will be an AWD Honda CR-V with a MANUAL transmission. Absolutely crucial for winter driving, as you can use the engine to slow you down. But yeah, I've heard great things about the CR-V and the Element.
I agree with you somewhat, although the Forester's engine in mine is real smooth. The seats are a little uncomfortable, specially the passenger side (it's too low). But what makes Subaru the most popular vehicle in Alaska is the way it performs in icy roads, while still costing a lot less than an all-wheel Honda or Toyota. Subaru has had an upper-hand, in relation to all-wheel traction control over Honda and Toyota for several years.

I do like the Honda engine. I have driven a 1987 Civic Si to work and back each day since 1987. The last time I looked at the odometer it showed over 253,000 miles, and still going strong.

Honda made a very stylish CRV a few years ago, and then redesigned the windows to look like jelly beans. That killed it for me, and prefer the older design to the new one. The Toyota Rev 4 is another popular all-wheel drive vehicle up here, and looks a lot better than the Honda version. But another reason why Subaru is more popular is its price. For example, the baseline offering from Toyota is $24K for the one with a four cylinder motor. The Honda offering costs about the same. I paid a little over $18K for my 2009 Forester.

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-31-2010 at 11:46 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 11:31 PM

5,353 posts, read 7,122,984 times
I like the boxer engine. I've never noticed my 08 Outback to run rough. I will say though if they don't fix the leaky head gasket problem I won't buy another new one. The hassles just aren't worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska