U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 PM

20,960 posts, read 21,250,265 times
I play it safe when it comes to driving, I hate being passed by a 'Ru that has more rust than paint when I'm in the right lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 11:41 PM

12,633 posts, read 12,838,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I play it safe when it comes to driving, I hate being passed by a 'Ru that has more rust than paint when I'm in the right lane.
Are you talking about my '81 F-150? It has so much rust that it looks brown instead of blue.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:14 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,242,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
OK, I have to ask. If Subarus are so awesome in the snow, why do so many Subaru owners drive like putzes? Whenever I come up on a car going waaayyyy toooo slooww on the highway, so slow in fact that their speed is creating a hazard in and of itself, 9 times out of 10 its a Subaru.

I think it's because there are so many lousy drivers who are afraid of driving on snow and ice, and they are afraid they will slide off the road or get stuck. Somebody tells them "go buy a Subaru...then you won't get stuck". So they go out and buy a Subaru, thinking that will help. The full-time AWD does help, but they're still lousy drivers.
I'm a Subaru owner myself, but I generally do around 60-65 on the highways...

"No Putz" Bud

Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 AM

4,988 posts, read 5,186,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I think it's because there are so many lousy drivers who are afraid of driving on snow and ice, and they are afraid they will slide off the road or get stuck. Somebody tells them "go buy a Subaru...then you won't get stuck". So they go out and buy a Subaru, thinking that will help. The full-time AWD does help, but they're still lousy drivers.
I'm a Subaru owner myself, but I generally do around 60-65 on the highways...

"No Putz" Bud
That's actually the most logical reason I've heard. Come to think of it, the grandmas in Subarus seem to be puuting around at 5mph regardles of snow, ice, or even if its perfectly dry pavement. I just wish more people were aware that Alaska does have minimum speed laws just as well as maximum...

Old 11-02-2010, 02:57 AM

1,401 posts, read 1,008,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
You're not talking about me are you?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:07 AM

22 posts, read 15,538 times
In the early 90s I drove a newsoaper route in the Eagle River valley using a jeep cerokee.Since we picked up the papers at 3 am we were out driving back roads before the plows were out. Even with 4wd i got stuck occasionaly but never so bad that i couldnt dig myself out. I carried a shovel and a bucket ofgravel. The main thing is to know your vehicle and how to drive in winter.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:17 AM

5,745 posts, read 4,285,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
My Jeep XJ
v. nice.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:33 AM

5,704 posts, read 4,378,677 times
One constant: the first significant snowfall will bring about cars in ditches, cars smashing into other cars, and cars spinning around like a top. It happens year after year after year -- in every state I've lived in.

You certainly don't see animals making the same dumb mistake over and over and over again.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:56 AM

5,745 posts, read 4,285,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
One constant: the first significant snowfall will bring about cars in ditches, cars smashing into other cars, and cars spinning around like a top. It happens year after year after year -- in every state I've lived in.

You certainly don't see animals making the same dumb mistake over and over and over again.
Well that just goes to show ya animals don't really know how to have any fun.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:04 AM

5,704 posts, read 4,378,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Well that just goes to show ya animals don't really know how to have any fun.
I'm not so sure about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77iDIp40m9E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska