Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 18,019 times

Advertisements

Hello,
When I was 15 my family and I spent a summer in Alaska and I have always wanted to return but was never able to budget it. Now I am making plans to finally move to Alaska within the next few years. I believe I want to live in Talkeetna or another area similar. I was wondering though what the best type vehicles are for Alaska? Currently I drive a front-wheel drive Honda Element but I was uncertain as to how well it would do in winters there. It does well here but we get very little snow and ice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Phyllis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 10:43 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyld Chyld View Post
Hello,
When I was 15 my family and I spent a summer in Alaska and I have always wanted to return but was never able to budget it. Now I am making plans to finally move to Alaska within the next few years. I believe I want to live in Talkeetna or another area similar. I was wondering though what the best type vehicles are for Alaska? Currently I drive a front-wheel drive Honda Element but I was uncertain as to how well it would do in winters there. It does well here but we get very little snow and ice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Phyllis
Hi Phyllis. Most front-wheel drive vehicles do fairly well here, especially with studded snow tires. In the larger towns and cities, just about anything will work, as they generally keep the streets cleared and "ok" all winter. In Talkeetna, and surrounding area? Hmmm...while I've visited there, I'm not familiar with their winter conditions, but the Element should probably work just fine. If you want to be worry free, then pick something with AWD, or 4WD. My wife and I just bought a new Subaru Outback, which has AWD. Great traction in snow and ice. AWD (and 4WD) vehicles don't generally get quite as good MPG as 2WD vehicles, but I think it's worth sacrificing a few MPG for the extra added insurance of staying on the road, and/or not getting stuck because it "snowed a foot" during the night. We have a 1/4 mile long driveway which is not maintained by either the state or city, so it can get pretty nasty after a snowstorm....

Bud

Old 10-20-2007, 03:08 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,409 times
Default official state vehicle

Subarus are pretty close to being the "official state vehicle" of Alaska. There are tons of four wheel drive trucks and SUVs of course, but it seems like I'm seeing more and more Subies in places where gas is already high and getting higher.

We're paying $3.85 for unleaded here, and $3.55 for diesel.

If you live in Anchorage or Juneau, a FWD with good studded snow tire oughta be fine almost all of the time, unless you live out of town or off an unmaintained private road or something like that.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 18,019 times
Thanks for the replies. I had heard Subarus were a big thing up, but they are so expensive for the bigger ones that I would need. I got the Element because it is great for the space and it doesn't really matter what happens to the interior it just wipes out. I have been looking online at real estate in the Talkeetna & Petersville area, of course I plan another summer trip to view properties but from most of the things I am seeing the type real estate I am wanting is probably going to have an unmaitained road/driveway or none at all. I guess I'll just have to see what type of land I can find when I get there and decide then what to do. Just a curiosity question, do many people still use sled dogs to get around?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:57 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyld Chyld View Post
Just a curiosity question, do many people still use sled dogs to get around?
Not any more, except as a recreational sport. The native people used sled dogs until the invention of 4-wheelers, snow machines, and outboard motors...so now they are pretty much "motorized"...

Bud

Old 10-20-2007, 10:06 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
And Airplanes. Plenty of Alaska Native pilots out here in Western Alaska.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:48 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,409 times
Default dog parking

Yeah, those dog teams are such a hassle to park.

Not only that, but when your shift is up sometimes they don't want to start after they've been left in the cold all day.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:20 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Parralell Parking the dogs is just a real B**** !!!

They don't back that well either! Not like a horse team.

Parking tickets for being over the alloted space is another tough one. They charge by the DOG!!! Minimum of two dogs!

In the cold weather after a long day standing by you have to deal with the square leg problem! Makes for a rough and jerky ride till all the kinks are worked out.

Then the worst of course is if a dog gets stuck to a fire hydrant! Just ruins the poor thing for life!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:26 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Four-wheel drive and front-wheel drives are very useful for Fairbanks winters.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:12 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
06 to 09 Toyota 4Runner 4WD. Be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska