Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I like the boxer engine. I've never noticed my 08 Outback to run rough. I will say though if they don't fix the leaky head gasket problem I won't buy another new one. The hassles just aren't worth it.
I feel the same way you do. A good thing is that Subaru takes care of the problem when it happens, but the HG problem in the back of my mind

The little Toyota Rev 4 is quite nice, although expensive. It would be nice if Toyota would offer a manual transmission version, but they don't. I prefer manual over auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Honda made a very stylish CRV a few years ago, and then redesigned the windows to look like jelly beans. That killed it for me, and prefer the older design to the new one. The Toyota Rev 4 is another popular all-wheel drive vehicle up here, and looks a lot better than the Honda version. But another reason why Subaru is more popular is its price. For example, the baseline offering from Toyota is $24K for the one with a four cylinder motor. The Honda offering costs about the same. I paid a little over $18K for my 2009 Forester.
Yeah, the new CRV design is disappointing. Even more disappointing: they don't make it in manual anymore!!!!! What the hell?!?!! Why would you do that? I guess people truly don't drive manuals much anymore. The reason I got my car so cheap is BECAUSE it is a manual, and the guy said nobody would buy it because they all want automatics. I just hope that in 20 years, they will still be making manual transmission vehicles. I know people like Porsche and BMW will, but those aren't that practical. I mean, my dream car is a 3 series, but an AWD 3 series is expensive. But man, someday...

I will agree about the price, but I subscribe to "you get what you pay for". The Honda is more expensive because it is a better package. It has more standard equipment and a better motor. But I understand a lot of people have tremendous affection for their Subarus, and I understand that, but I am very particular when it comes to vehicles, and Subarus are not my thing. I would love an X3 for my next car, but I don't believe they make them in manual. EDIT: Turns out they do make them in manual. I believe an X3 would do just fine in the interior. I am enough of a BMW nut that it would be worth it to me to have one. AWD is standard on all X3's, and you can get a nice one for about 20 grand. TOTALLY worth the money! It handles like a 3 series, but it has ground clearance and plenty of room for stuff. It wouldn't fare well in the wilderness, but I would have a snowmachine for that!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
Default Old Timers Alaskan Wheels

What I saw in Seward, AK this summer. I want one!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/KL7EU/1BadA.jpg (broken link)

I'd pick this red one....my MIL could ride in the trunk...everybody else up front....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/KL7EU/RedOne.jpg (broken link)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/KL7EU/RedOne2.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/KL7EU/GreenOne.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by BudinAk; 11-01-2010 at 08:47 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,221 times
My Toyota 4 Runner is manual. Yay.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Yeah, the new CRV design is disappointing. Even more disappointing: they don't make it in manual anymore!!!!! What the hell?!?!! Why would you do that? I guess people truly don't drive manuals much anymore. The reason I got my car so cheap is BECAUSE it is a manual, and the guy said nobody would buy it because they all want automatics. I just hope that in 20 years, they will still be making manual transmission vehicles. I know people like Porsche and BMW will, but those aren't that practical. I mean, my dream car is a 3 series, but an AWD 3 series is expensive. But man, someday...

I will agree about the price, but I subscribe to "you get what you pay for". The Honda is more expensive because it is a better package. It has more standard equipment and a better motor. But I understand a lot of people have tremendous affection for their Subarus, and I understand that, but I am very particular when it comes to vehicles, and Subarus are not my thing. I would love an X3 for my next car, but I don't believe they make them in manual. EDIT: Turns out they do make them in manual. I believe an X3 would do just fine in the interior. I am enough of a BMW nut that it would be worth it to me to have one. AWD is standard on all X3's, and you can get a nice one for about 20 grand. TOTALLY worth the money! It handles like a 3 series, but it has ground clearance and plenty of room for stuff. It wouldn't fare well in the wilderness, but I would have a snowmachine for that!
The Honda CRV costs the same as the Toyota Rav 4, but the Honda exterior looks aren't as appealing as the Toyota's. I would like an X3 "myself," but believe me when I tell you that you won't see many of these cars on the road during the winter months. Crushed gravel is used for traction on the roads, and it takes about one windshield per season if driving to Fairbanks A windshield replacement, even for a 2009 Forester costs about $1,000. I got one replaced earlier this year.

Now, if one has a lot of money, then the sky is the limit And I do see a lot of people driving top of the line pickup trucks, some of which as very expensive. A coworker of mine has a couple of BMW's in his garage, but only drives them during the summer months

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-01-2010 at 09:33 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 09:34 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
ok I'll jump in. My vote goes to the V6 4Runner. Here are the gearing options

2WD
4WD with limited slip diff
4WD diff unlocked
4WD diff locked
4WD LOW unlocked
4WD LOW diff locked

name another vehicle that can do that. =)

Old 11-01-2010, 09:59 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's true. And then if someone wants more traction on the ice roads, studded tires can do that.
--
Subaru's are quite popular up here, but before you buy a used Subaru that has no warranty, first visit one of the numerous Subaru forums and ask questions about which are the problems areas of the motor and rest of the power train. I have a 2009 Forester, and this thing is surefooted on the snow and ice. But I have extended warranty on it, just in case the head gaskets fail.
OK, I have to ask. If Subarus are so awesome in the snow, why do so many Subaru owners drive like putzes? Whenever I come up on a car going waaayyyy toooo slooww on the highway, so slow in fact that their speed is creating a hazard in and of itself, 9 times out of 10 its a Subaru.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:31 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
ok I'll jump in. My vote goes to the V6 4Runner. Here are the gearing options

2WD
4WD with limited slip diff
4WD diff unlocked
4WD diff locked
4WD LOW unlocked
4WD LOW diff locked

name another vehicle that can do that. =)
My Jeep XJ

Old 11-01-2010, 10:59 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
Yeah I wasn't entirely serious/realistic about the X3. I wouldn't be driving around in the interior in a luxury crossover SUV. I would have the only choice there could possibly be for a reasonable person: a 2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD (Off-Road package) 4WD. With the full length bed, not the short one. My brother has one, and it is hands-down, far and away the nicest, most incredible truck I have ever had the pleasure of driving. And this is coming from a pretty diehard Z71 fan. That Tacoma is absolutely perfect in every way. Trails, mud, snow, mountains, flat freeways, you name it, that truck does it with poise and style! It is so roomy on the inside, but it has a very efficient V6, and it can fit in spaces that a full-size truck can't. It even gets ~22 mpg on the highway!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
OK, I have to ask. If Subarus are so awesome in the snow, why do so many Subaru owners drive like putzes? Whenever I come up on a car going waaayyyy toooo slooww on the highway, so slow in fact that their speed is creating a hazard in and of itself, 9 times out of 10 its a Subaru.
There are a lot of slow drivers on the road, and most of them are left-lane drivers, too. So, the more Subarus, the more of these that will be on your way, I guess.

But I can assure you that I am not one of "them" slow folks. I am never in front, nor the last one in line; always moving with the fast traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska