Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,561 times

Advertisements

So, I have this acquaintance that has just come up to Alaska for a few days this summer from his home in Shreveport, LA to go dipnetting and get his 72 hours in AK to qualify for the PFD. He's in the military and was stationed here for a couple of years and then got stationed in Shreveport, near family but he claims AK as his permanent residence so he doesn't have to pay state income tax in LA and he gets his PFD for himself, his wife and their 4 kids.

He said Fish and Game's opinion is if the PFD office says you're a resident, then so do we.

????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 05:53 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,340 times
yeah, I have friends that have not lived in the state for well over 8 years and are getting their dividends still. Not military any more either

Old 07-01-2013, 06:29 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,611,728 times
I know a family with 9 kids. They were stationed at Ft. Rich for 3 years and claimed residency as soon as they could. They were transfered, but have maintained their residency here for at least eight years. They have to fly back up every few years for a few days to keep it up. They usually come up at Christmas, so they aren't dipnetting, but I do know they are getting the PFDs.

I'm all for military service and honoring those who defend us. But this seems like taking advantage of the system...

Old 07-01-2013, 06:51 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,920,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I'm all for military service and honoring those who defend us. But this seems like taking advantage of the system...
Yes it does. Have to wonder now how often it's happening. It's nice that Alaska recognizes military personnel and allows them to still get a PFD but when the only incentive is tax consequences and the PFD itself and they really don't live here, somethings wrong with that.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
yeah, I have friends that have not lived in the state for well over 8 years and are getting their dividends still. Not military any more either
You can report them.

Fraud

Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,809,216 times
And I can't get a PFD because I worked out of state "X" amount of days, and need to show proof I was here etc etc.

WTF is wrong with this picture?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
And I can't get a PFD because I worked out of state "X" amount of days, and need to show proof I was here etc etc.

WTF is wrong with this picture?
For a few years my father in law did the Anchorage to Tacoma run for Carlile. He added up his days out of state and just barely qualified those years. Luckily he had his log books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska