Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 12:20 AM

13 posts, read 17,265 times

Advertisements

Well I shouldn't have used the word solitude, I know theres no such thing as solitude anywhere anymore, but I can tell ya this much, I bet its quieter than Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 02:00 PM

459 posts, read 579,234 times
IMHO ... you are nuts and should seek out some help.

You go out there and you won't/can't be prepared and you will die.

These people are pulling your chain and Nenana and Dune lake are the arm pit of Alaska!

Old 12-28-2015, 12:26 AM

13 posts, read 17,265 times
Well ok Mr know it all, just because you had a bad day fishing at Dune Lake doesn't mean you have to be so negative about it with other people. Yeah I know there are lots of places in Alaska that are arm pits like any where else. All the place is good for is to fly in, do some fishing and fly back out, its a recreational area, you should know that.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper26 View Post
Well ok Mr know it all, just because you had a bad day fishing at Dune Lake doesn't mean you have to be so negative about it with other people. Yeah I know there are lots of places in Alaska that are arm pits like any where else. All the place is good for is to fly in, do some fishing and fly back out, its a recreational area, you should know that.

Good - you finally got something correct.

I've been around since the mid 60's, fly, and know the area pretty well.

Dune lake has nothing to offer other than recreation which IS NOT much, if anything. A GREAT day fishing at Dune lake is a waste of time, expensive and you'll need several of those huge fish to make a simple meal!

The state was mandated 30 years ago by the legislature to dispose of land to the public who had been starved for years and years. They chose every piece of crap, with virtually no access, that they could find, created paper subdivisions and started disposing of it ... 99% garbage. No, make that 99.8% garbage.

Too bad you got caught in the hype and bought something there. Hopefully you didn't pay more than a hundred bucks for it. Think about this - Who would spend $12-1,500 to go to Dune lake and go fishing ... that is a joke right? You can ATV into many lakes around Fairbanks, Nenana, Manley and catch a lot of fish ... Pike and some good size.

Sometimes it isn't nice to tell folks the truth and Mr. Know-It-All has a moral obligation to at least present the facts so you can make an informed decision. It may have saved you from the purchase which will quickly turn into a full disaster when, if, you every come to Alaska and actually try to go out there "to do a little hunting and fishing".

It is a shame too because there is a lot of really nice property out there but the state will either give it to the natives, keep it or the Fed's will lock it up. You and I will never see it in our lifetime.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,355,074 times
Well you can ride an ATV or 4x4 truck to thousands of lakes in the lower 48 to catch fish, but I don't think he's looking for that. Some people go to the bush to, you know, get away from civilization to some degree. All the world doesn't need a road to it.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well you can ride an ATV or 4x4 truck to thousands of lakes in the lower 48 to catch fish, but I don't think he's looking for that. Some people go to the bush to, you know, get away from civilization to some degree. All the world doesn't need a road to it.
Man this is the truth for sure.

I've had my place on a small lake since 82 and it is fly-in only or dogs in the winter. I flew every board out there in my C-206 and it took almost 10 years to get it right. Spent 15 winters there too.

I think "most" folks watch too much TV and think Northern Exposure and the other junk crap Alaska shows are the real deal ... Hahahaha

Old 12-29-2015, 12:12 PM

57 posts, read 55,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
IMHO ... you are nuts and should seek out some help.

You go out there and you won't/can't be prepared and you will die.

These people are pulling your chain and Nenana and Dune lake are the arm pit of Alaska!
Dumb question, but: what makes an arm pit of Alaska? What are the negatives outweighing the positives?

Old 12-29-2015, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,048 times
I've been in Alaska since I got out of the Marines in 2003. I left Dayton OH and came to Fairbanks and been here since. I ran into old timers all the time that put out the dire warnings and doomsday, but their still here and I am too. I still encounter those types. One thing I have found is all of them came from the lower 48 too, and at one time they were young and full of that, "wanna see over that next hill attitude" Trapper26 my advise to you is, GO FOR IT! you never know you can do something until you try it. when you FUBAR something then you'll learn. I think your doing the right thing by asking for advise. You seem like a young enthusiastic person. So here's my advise, don't be afraid to ask questions, seek out all the intel you can, even though your going to run into negativity, don't let it discourage you, you can pick your way through their negative attitudes, those old codgers do offer some very good advise, they do mean well, there just not very diplomatic about it. Semper Fi

Old 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM

26,481 posts, read 36,312,571 times
Sounds to me like Trapper 26 just want to use his property for an occasional retreat....as long as it's not swampland, I don't see what's so bad about that.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sounds to me like Trapper 26 just want to use his property for an occasional retreat....as long as it's not swampland, I don't see what's so bad about that.
Nothing bad at all.

I say go for it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska