Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM

287 posts, read 595,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I worked in one all day (taking otolith samples for the hatchery) while I had food poisoning. At this particular plant (Silver Bay) I had to obtain my samples from severed fish heads instead of whole fish. I had to go outside and puke off the dock about every 45 minutes.
Just makes me want to run out and buy some seafood from that plant...

It's just one of those things you really don't want to know... kinda like my visit to a chicken processing plant... it was like 3 or 4 years before I would even eat chicken again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,252,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
Just makes me want to run out and buy some seafood from that plant...
Not sure what that has to do with the fish they process, which as far as I know is just fine.

Quote:
It's just one of those things you really don't want to know... kinda like my visit to a chicken processing plant... it was like 3 or 4 years before I would even eat chicken again...
Meh, I'd eat salmon for lunch while I was working in the canneries, or at the hatchery. Doesn't bother me a bit. Was a little odd having to handle severed fish heads, but still not that big a deal on a normal day. It's just the way their cannery was set up - the fish went straight to the processing line and there wasn't anywhere else for me to access them except after they were headed. What was kind of gross was that their grinder was constantly on the fritz and made quite a mess. Oh, and there was the time that a fish head started moving in my hand... But that wasn't any worse than over at Peter Pan, where if they tried to offload a tender too fast fish would start falling out of the chute onto the floor and often hitting you in the process. Then you'd wind up wading around in ankle-deep fishy water, with jellyfish floating around in it, trying to put their fish back in the chute for them. Man, that was a crazy job.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 PM

tigre79 - It was meant as a comment about "every 45 minutes - puking" ... kinda along the lines of making it outside every time... and it just makes you wonder how many other people in food processing plants "working sick"...

And I can assure you - a fish processing plant smells NOTHING like a chicken processing plant... it has to do with the burning the (remainder) feathers off part and chicken poop... the combination is stomach churning to put it mildly... If you have ever driven by a chicken farm, you know one part of the smell, it's the combining with the other that makes simple awful. I never wish to go back.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,913,797 times
Quote:
tigre79 - It was meant as a comment about "every 45 minutes - puking" ... kinda along the lines of making it outside every time... and it just makes you wonder how many other people in food processing plants "working sick"...

And I can assure you - a fish processing plant smells NOTHING like a chicken processing plant... it has to do with the burning the (remainder) feathers off part and chicken poop... the combination is stomach churning to put it mildly... If you have ever driven by a chicken farm, you know one part of the smell, it's the combining with the other that makes simple awful. I never wish to go back.
Have you ever smelled the boiling of the heads and guts before?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,602,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Have you ever smelled the boiling of the heads and guts before?
No sure I'd want to either.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Spent the summer working in King Salmon... Naknek has two or three processing plants, one is 40ft off the road, I never remember any particularly strong odor coming from them. But I'm sure it's not pleasant, but a chicken plant offends you when you start down the road it's on.

Most food processing/packaging plants have more going on behind closed doors then we want to know about for the most part.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM

1,938 posts, read 3,899,702 times
Quote:
Most food processing/packaging plants have more going on behind closed doors then we want to know about for the most part.
What do they have going on behind closed doors?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
What do they have going on behind closed doors?
Simply put, the methods the animals are slaughtered and processed... It's not the same as shooting an animal and field dressing it... The chickens heads are "pulled" off while hanging upside down.

I'm not a animal activist by any means for "food" animals but the whole mass production theme of the way it's done - plus the smells - was a bit like "I think this is one thing I really didn't want to know"...

People are pretty disconnected from the meat under cellophane - and it's probably not a bad thing. I've hunted and it didn't bother me - this did.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,782,301 times
Silver Bay in Sitka makes a special effort to bring in as diversified mix as possible.

(translation: if there was a "Women of Seafood Processing Plants" swimsuit calendar, it would be shot there)

Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 PM

26,483 posts, read 36,317,502 times
First of all, lose the drinking problem.

Why in the hell do you want to work in fish processing? Were you drunk when you made this post?

Look up Trident on the Internet and apply with them. They'll shove you in a bunkhouse with a bunch of other idiots where your Internet connection will suck, but they'll feed you okay and you might make some decent friends. Then again, you might fall off the dock when you're drunk and end up as crab bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska