U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,670,303 times

Advertisements

From what I've always heard most of the sexual assaults in Alaska are people who know each other and things get out of control after a night of drinking or drug use.
So while the numbers are still very sad and completely unacceptable, it's not like there's a sex fiend behind every bush waiting to grab your kid on the way to school...
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM

68 posts, read 64,431 times
I want to sincerely thank you guys for your helpful, and insightful information. For what it's worth im feeling much less trepidation already. What say we get off this morbid subject and chat about something more pleasant? My kids play hockey. Is there a rink in the Palmer area? Does the high school have a hockey team ? How is the area for moose sightings? My wife adores them. We see some in Maine and New Hampshire. Not too many in Mass. Oh and whats up with these horrendous winds I hear of in the Mat-Su valley?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:18 AM

1,078 posts, read 739,952 times
You must mean the Mat-Su valley wind festival? Every winter from October to May? It's a fairly constant occurence here in the valley. A fair amount of folks have wind turbines and they might almost pay off here.

Every high school in the area has a hockey team. Anchorage has a semi pro team and we used to have some farm teams but can't recall hearing them advertised lately, so not sure if there is still a league for them.

Moose sightings will get to the point that they aren't remarkable unless they eat something precious. And then will come the morning you can't get to work because a moose has camped out in your yard and you don't like your chances of getting to your car before the moose does. They have been known to lick the road salt off of cars.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,368,072 times
Well Anchorage hockey team just played UW hockey team here last night at the Kohl center- 5-2 final score... but seems you won't have to worry about seeing moose .. was shown one of those pictures of a moose licking the vehicle's winter salt off...

Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 PM

2,492 posts, read 4,000,589 times
Plenty of moose, plenty of hockey, and plenty of wind.

One of the local Palmer girls, Kerry Wieland, made the US women's olympic hockey team.

Right now, no wind, blue skies, sun, and about 0 degrees.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 PM

Here's a question. What do you guys pay for king crab legs? Every time we watch deadliest catch we crave them but they are 18.99 a pound down here. Also what might I expect to pay in rent for a 3 bedroom in Palmer/Wasilla ? Thanks

Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM

I guess I should ask routine questions like that in a different thread with a less provocative title huh?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 4,000,589 times
I don't buy king crab. Don't really think it's woth paying that much for "sea bugs". My wife eats it so we take it when we can get it free. A friend sometimes brings in several coolers of king crab from King Cove

Old 01-27-2013, 03:40 AM

58 posts, read 58,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saunder View Post
Here's a question. What do you guys pay for king crab legs? Every time we watch deadliest catch we crave them but they are 18.99 a pound down here. Also what might I expect to pay in rent for a 3 bedroom in Palmer/Wasilla ? Thanks
Russian caught king crab--$11 (on sale)-$18/lb
Alaskan king crab (which is the sustainable fishery) $30/lb

I have heard of people getting crabs in season super cheap ($10/crab) but not here. I think that's in villages closer to Dutch Harbor.

My 3br apartment in Palmer is $1260/month including heat and 1 space in a 4 car garage.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 PM

That price is not far off from apartments here but would never incliude utilities. Heat included is huge especially in AK. Guess I could handle an apartment for a while but would prefer a house with a wood stove. How is the price up tbere for cord wood? I mean sesoned cut split and delivered. My wife is a realtor. Any opportunities there? Back to hockey would the schools have varsity girls teams or co ed? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska