Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times

Advertisements

Most of which was spent in and around Fairbanks. Saw two lovely bright auroras on 1/8 and 1/10; seems everyone's photos were green but it was a beautiful blue-white, fitting for a January winter night's sky. Saw some other ones too; not as bright, but hanging around most of the night. Love gazing out at the night sky watching for the northern lights and falling stars.

Enjoyed some wonderful local hospitality and took a day trip with an (almost) born-and-raised Fairbanksan out to Central; saw some caribou and had a fun stop at the Steese Roadhouse. As usual I brought the warm temps with me (so they tell me ) but at the end of the 2nd week I did catch the -20 high in town; also had some interesting driving experiences in a variety of weather (was there for the ice rain 1/14; happy birthday to me ).

Mostly I just enjoyed being there, bumming around town and then driving back up the hill for the evening. Last day was a marathon with a 12-hour train trip to Anchorage (stopped at the Beartooth Grill to while away some time before the 1:45AM flight), then flew all night to Phoenix. It's always good to get home, but I'm already looking forward to coming back March 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Happy Birthday--

Sounds like you had a blast.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 PM

Thanks Dakster, I really did have a blast--love just being there.

My post sounds like a 'what I did on my vacation' school paper, but it sure was a fun time.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I've been researching an Alaska vacation hubby and I plan to take at the end of May. I'm so torn between taking just a cruise, a cruise and land tour, or flying in and just doing a land tour. Since you've been there 3 times, can you recommend any alternative Alaska vacation ideas?

I really want to see as much as possible, but I also want to have time to enjoy it. Many of the things I read indicate that the guided tours are exhausting and it's difficult to find food to eat on the land tours. I'd appreciate any guidance or suggestions anyone has.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM

Hopes, I haven't done a cruise and I haven't been there in May; visited Jan 2013, Feb 2012 and March 2011 since one of my goals was to see the northern lights. I planned my own trip and didn't go through a tour company or travel agent so no help there either, but I'm sure there are others here who will have some info for you.

Are there certain things you know you want to do or see? One thing I've really enjoyed is a train trip; check out alaskarailroad.com for trains/schedules for when you are planning to be there. I've traveled northbound from Anchorage to Fairbanks twice, and southbound once on the Winter Train; summer schedule starts around mid-May. I'd love to take the train between Anchorage and Seward for the entirely different scenery (this run is not available in winter). I think the more specific you are about things you may be looking to do, the more folks here can assist with their two cents.

I'll be interested in reading the replies as well, since I hope to get there in summer someday!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've been researching an Alaska vacation hubby and I plan to take at the end of May. I'm so torn between taking just a cruise, a cruise and land tour, or flying in and just doing a land tour. Since you've been there 3 times, can you recommend any alternative Alaska vacation ideas?

I really want to see as much as possible, but I also want to have time to enjoy it. Many of the things I read indicate that the guided tours are exhausting and it's difficult to find food to eat on the land tours. I'd appreciate any guidance or suggestions anyone has.

IMHO the best way to see Alaska is by Land! So much to see in that big place and it's hard to see from a ship. Seriously, I've worked five seasons at one of the national parks and see lots of people from the cruise ships...they miss so much of Alaska. There are so many quaint little places and the way to experience them is by land. Some fly to Anchorage, rent a car and just take off. Others rent RVs and stay in an area as long or little as they like. Others drive up and that is an experience unto itself (I drive up every year from Georgia). The RV rentals usually have a discounted rate if you book in advance by a certain date. June and July are the months with the most visitors, so lots of place will be booked.

Enjoy your adventure!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Hopes if you haven't already, you may want to check out TripAdvisor.com forums and reviews; I've found some great information on there as well as on here.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM

I can second the drive. But again if you hate road trips then go on a cruise. We like historical sites and stopping by the side of the road. We also do not like to be on a tight schedule either.

Also how much time you can go for has a big impact as well. Trying to plan a quick winter trip now. That will involve flying in though.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM

Dakster, I thought you were already in Alaska. Where are you planning on visiting, if you don't mind my asking? I like to hear about other people's trips/plans (get some good ideas that way).

Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM

I went this past summer to AK for a month... Want to check it out in the winter time. Hmmm.. Good question on the where. I would love to see Fairbanks, Anchorage/Matu-Su, and Juneau. Problem is that I won't have enough time to see all three this winter...

Haven't made up my mind yet. Although, probably Juneau since I didn't make it there this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska