Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 PM

12 posts, read 29,902 times

Advertisements

I Am Planning To Move To Alaska With My Large Family And Need Serious Advice As To The Best Place To Live(low Crime Rate) Best Nursing Jobs And Reasonable Weather(above Zero) I Have Looked At Homer,palmer,kenai But Will Appreciate Any Advice.folks Have Told Me To Avoid Anchorage And Fairbanks As We Were Probably Likely To Be Raped,killed Or Both.i'm A Bit Nervious As I Now This Is A Huge Challenge But It Has Been A Lifelong Dream. Please Help In Advice.i Have 6 Children Ages 2-15.thanks A Bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Advice.folks Have Told Me To Avoid Anchorage And Fairbanks As We Were Probably Likely To Be Raped,killed Or Both.
I give up.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 PM

You know what? Here's some advice. Stay in the lower 48 if you're so afraid of being raped and killed in the big bad state of Alaska.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:08 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Seriously? Loose the friends that gave you that crappy advice. There are areas that are less safe than others just like in any city, big or small. Anchorage seems like a very nice and safe place to live based on my 4 weeks of visiting. Some areas are nicer and more pricey than others, but nothing unusual there. The bad areas of Anchorage are no worse than the lower middle class areas of Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Denver, etc. Slightly better than what I have seen of Philadelphia, Boston, Richmond, and San Fransisco for the same income levels.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,924 times
metlakatla...Lighten up!!!!! It is a valid concern for someone who does not live there. If someone wanted to live in Wisconsin...say...where I live there are real live places to avoid. Especailly with six kids. I have five kids 1-10 years and there are neighborhoods in milwaukee I would no longer even drive through. People have been getting pulled out of their cars and beaten for being the wrong race....BUT>>>> That is about 1/2 of 1/2 of 1% of the state of Wisconsin

I think she is just looking for a smaller friendlier town which is probably every town in Alaska, but right here on this site I have read alot of horror stories about fairbanks and especially anchorage, so lets try to help her out

Moving to a different state with no knowlegde takes guts, but she is trying to do some basic research which takes brains and I think is really smart

Good luck aida

Old 10-22-2007, 04:18 PM

Yeah..so basic research involves "folks telling her that she is likely to be raped, killed, or both in Anchorage or Fairbanks".

Uh huh.

Sorry, but even the most basic of basic research will not come close to implying that.

If she wants a smaller friendlier town, just say so. But don't come here spreading bs about my state.

The crime stats have been more than well covered on this site already, btw.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:27 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
I agree with Metla 100%... I'm shocked and can't believe what the OP posted!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
The only scary parts of Anchorage and Fairbanks are downtown by the bars. Stay away from the bars downtown. The rest of the places are pretty safe except for the Northway Mall in Anchorage. That place gives me the creeps.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:21 PM

12 posts, read 29,902 times
Lighten Up Folks! I Meant No Disrespect.i Have Been Reading These Posts On And Off And Have Heard A Lot Of Negative Stories Of These Towns Mentioned.instead Of Critizing Me Maybe Someone Out There Can Just Tell Me If These Towns Are Places I Can Raise Kids In Or If I Should Just Stick To Other Places.maybe There's Folks That Can't Understand My Point But As A Mother With Small Kids I Just Wanna Hear Some Positive Feedback Like Maybe From Someone Who Lives In Anchorage Or Fairbanks Or Other
Thanks A Bunch Otherwise.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:38 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,393 times
Come to the town I am moving to Central. Not a lot of crime there and not a ton of kids either. You could help us keep the school open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska