Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Nothing like Washington questions in a Alaska forum.
I doubt you know this, but the majority of the Alaska fishing fleet docks in Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:59 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
I hear there's a lot of coffee in Seattle.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Ballard is a neat place. Once you go through the locks and up to the Lake, it's like every boat you've seen in Alaska is there!

You see old friends all over the place if you wander around enough!

I have always loved the trips from Dutch to there and back!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM

127 posts, read 209,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Ballard is a neat place. Once you go through the locks and up to the Lake, it's like every boat you've seen in Alaska is there!

You see old friends all over the place if you wander around enough!

I have always loved the trips from Dutch to there and back!

i can't wait to get out there and see and do everything i want to achieve. i have all my gear and stuff ready to go. i'm no just working on getting my documents in order. anyone know in what order them> DOT,MMD, TWIC, commercial fishing license, and the STWC-95. again my plans are to work spring, summer in Seattle and then head up on a boat to Alaska in the fall.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxboy99 View Post
Now that most thing's are in order I'm heading by train out to Seattle from upstate NY at the end of March. I'll be bringing all my gear and a bike out with me to Seattle and I'll be staying at the hostels for a little while. I'm looking for other room housing still tho. My goals are to get set up out there and go on the leads i have now, kinda my to do list when I'm there first. I'm trying to get a deckhand position and or dock work working on pots, lines, scraping paint and painting what ever it is I'll be doing that. I want to get on a boat and get some deck hand experience and get to know the local "fishing scene". The other goal is to be able to work my way on a vessel heading up to Alaska in the fall. I really what to get up there and experience what it has to offer. So i need a little extra help in knowing where to go and be. I've done my research on fisherman's terminal and pier 90 and 91, the market, and other parts of the city. But I'm still a lil foggy on Ballard and what it has to offer. I keep hearing it about it but i can't really find to much on it. Any info on anything u think i should know would be appreciated.
Why are you posting on the Alaska forum?

There is a Seattle forum, you know.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seattle-area/

Old 02-22-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
So u think theres more opportunity for finding work in Ballard over FT on the Seattle side?
Uhhh... Ballard is Seattle.

Seattle Nighborhoods: http://www.seattle-realestate.com/ne...scriptions.php

Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I doubt you know this, but the majority of the Alaska fishing fleet docks in Washington.
Somehow I just didn't think about Shilshole Marina when I came across this thread.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:08 PM

127 posts, read 209,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Somehow I just didn't think about Shilshole Marina when I came across this thread.

There's a lot of people in here that know a lot about Seattle and or have been there a few times. I'm not tracking down info from Seattle people here. I want people from or in Alaska's help because i'm really tracking down fisherman info more than the place it's self. Plus most people from Alaska are willing to help and have done their far share of fishing. If anyone knows of any forms strictly meant for deck hands or fisherman plz privet msg me. I do not want to take way anything from date-city.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:08 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
There's a lot of people in here that know a lot about Seattle and or have been there a few times. I'm not tracking down info from Seattle people here. I want people from or in Alaska's help because i'm really tracking down fisherman info more than the place it's self. Plus most people from Alaska are willing to help and have done their far share of fishing. If anyone knows of any forms strictly meant for deck hands or fisherman plz privet msg me. I do not want to take way anything from date-city.
You asked for it, you got it. Good luck!

Club Northwestern - F/V Northwestern Fan Central

Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Also check out some of the many local maritime schools. The Seattle Maritime Academy operated thru the local community college, is probably the most well-known:

Maritime Schools Around Puget Sound

And you might see if there are any current opportunities with NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration), which has a NW regional headquarters in Seattle at Sandpoint on Lake WA, with research vessels docked there and on Lake Union. Definitely explore all around Lake Union and near the Ballard Bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska