U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,944,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post

Tellem Rance sent ya!
Boy, if that don't get you thrown in jail, I don't know what will! ;0)

Another option if you only have two weeks is to take the Alaska Ferry System from Washington to Seward. The cost for walk on isn't going to be much different than flying and you can camp on deck. Also you can drop off in the towns of choice for a few days and hike there as well.

Denali is a great area since that area is where I have lived for decades, but I think Southeast is just as or more Spectacular. You can still see bears and critters, but you'll see Whales and other sea life as well. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
I've known Gary since 4th or 5th grade. They have an awesome place across the bay from Homer. He is also a chef and does magical things with oysters he raises right there in Peterson Bay.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:03 PM

90 posts, read 131,194 times
I think we secured a rental car last summer (july 4th weekend in fact) for 400-450 i believe for a week. A small car but it was fine for the 2 of us.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:53 AM

2,558 posts, read 3,930,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
BAnother option if you only have two weeks is to take the Alaska Ferry System from Washington to Seward.
FYI, the ferry no longer goes to Seward. Homer or Whittier are your options for Southcentral.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
FYI, the ferry no longer goes to Seward. Homer or Whittier are your options for Southcentral.
My brother just went to Washinton State out of Whitter last week with his truck.

When did the quit going to Seward?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I've known Gary since 4th or 5th grade. They have an awesome place across the bay from Homer. He is also a chef and does magical things with oysters he raises right there in Peterson Bay.
That is a very pretty area. Hard to beat fresh seafood!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:14 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
Some good steamer clamming in the next bay over too.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,595,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Ray View Post
Hi, all!

My boyfriend and I have decided that we would really like to take a camping trip to Alaska this summer. We will be able to leave at the end of July/beginning of August. We will have about 10-14 days (depending on how much time off we can finagle). Right now, our bare-bones plan looks like this: fly into Anchorage, make our way up to Denali by rail, and camp along the way. We've got a tent, hiking packs, cooking materials, etc. There is so much to see and do in Alaska, and - for such a large state, 14 days is WAY too little time. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where would be the best places for us to camp, as well as any "routes" that would fit the plan. Neither of us have ever been to Alaska, although we do have camping/backpacking experience other places. We thought about heading up towards Fairbanks, but don't think we'll have the time. Our end goal is to see some of the natural beauty that Alaska has to offer, camp out, and relax.

We would really like to see/do the following:
1- See/camp out in and around Denali
2- Spend a couple of nights in really beautiful lodges
3- Camp out along the coast
4- Find hiking trails
5- Possibly rent kayaks or canoes one day
6- Stay out of "touristy" stuff as much as possible, but hang out in smaller towns that will have cool hangouts
7- Go fishing (possibly rent a fishing pole anywhere? Not sure if that is even offered)

Right now I think we both are overwhelmed (in a good way). We've both wanted to go to Alaska our entire lives (we're from Ohio), and now that it's finally happening, we don't exactly know where to start! Thank you in advance for any advice you have!
A word of advice about camping in bear country. In order to be safe there are certain things you should do, and certain things you should not do. For example,
  • You should keep your cooking site at least 50 feet away from your sleeping area;
  • You should not keep any food in your sleeping area;
  • You should keep your food at least 50 feet away from both your cooking and sleeping areas, hung between two trees at least 30 feet apart, and 15 feet above the ground;
  • You should not set up camp on a game trail; and
  • You should be armed for bear.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 AM

1,745 posts, read 2,273,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
A word of advice about camping in bear country. In order to be safe there are certain things you should do, and certain things you should not do. For example,
  • You should keep your cooking site at least 50 feet away from your sleeping area;
  • You should not keep any food in your sleeping area;
  • You should keep your food at least 50 feet away from both your cooking and sleeping areas, hung between two trees at least 30 feet apart, and 15 feet above the ground;
  • You should not set up camp on a game trail; and
  • You should be armed for bear.
To go camping in Denali, you have to get a back country permit which involves watching a bear safety video, talking to a ranger, as well as other safety measures.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,595,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
To go camping in Denali, you have to get a back country permit which involves watching a bear safety video, talking to a ranger, as well as other safety measures.
The "back country permits" issued by the Rangers is their way to size you up. If you are a novice (and they can tell by the questions asked) then you will get no more than a three day permit. If you look like you know what you are doing and have all the right equipment, they will give you up to a ten day permit, or no permit at all if you are very experienced and the Ranger knows you. They just want to be sure you check in with them every few days.

Besides, it sounds like they will be camping outside of Denali National Park. So some tips on how to handle critter encounters sounds like it might be in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or