Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,340 times

Advertisements

We've grown tired of Anchorage, and the weather here is dismal. We've been in Alaska for about 16 years. Lived in Delta, Fairbanks, North Pole and Anchorage. Done some small time subsistence, done the whole "city" thing, lived in tiny dry cabins and 2000 sq foot homes and everything in between. But we are tired of it. We are not going anywhere financially and really wanting to farm so we are looking at moving.

We've done the research and Tennessee fits the bill pretty well but I have to admit I'm pretty nervous about the summer heat and humidity!

I don't need any advice really, just had to tell someone who might understand and I'm not sure those in the TN forum would get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Good luck. I can't stand the humidity in the summers down there. It just saps the strength out of you. It'll be a big adjustment.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,015,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
We've grown tired of Anchorage, and the weather here is dismal. We've been in Alaska for about 16 years. Lived in Delta, Fairbanks, North Pole and Anchorage. Done some small time subsistence, done the whole "city" thing, lived in tiny dry cabins and 2000 sq foot homes and everything in between. But we are tired of it. We are not going anywhere financially and really wanting to farm so we are looking at moving.

We've done the research and Tennessee fits the bill pretty well but I have to admit I'm pretty nervous about the summer heat and humidity!

I don't need any advice really, just had to tell someone who might understand and I'm not sure those in the TN forum would get it.
It's your life and only you can make the decisions best suited for yourselves based on your current situation. Fortunately we still live in a country where everyone is free to persue their dreams and excercise their God given right of self determination (for now at least). So the best of luck to you and your family.

But yea, that heat and humidity down there is crazy!

Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:

I'm retired in TN (near Knoxville) and saw your post. I moved here 6 years ago from Maryland and was previously living in Long Island, NY. While we do have 4 seasons, summer is longer than others. Right now it is March and we have temps in the 60s and the daffodils are in bloom. Tomorrow they are predicting 67 degrees for March 10. It is hot in May and is hot through mid-October. Even if it gets cool at night, daytime temps in early October and May can be in the 80s. September is just as hot as July and August. It is humid. I tend to be more active outdoors in the non-summer months. Winter, on the other hand, is very mild. I have not worn more than a zippered hoodie over a long sleeved shirt, this winter or last winter. When we get snow, you can typically still see some grass. If it snows overnight, it's all gone by noon the next day. I think I have worn gloves twice in 6 years. I have never taken the snow shovel out of my car trunk in 6 years.

There are a lot of grey sky days in the winter. In the summer we get a lot of thunderstorms between 4PM and 6PM. Our state is very green. Last year by April 3, we were totally green. Before that Bradford Pears and Red Buds (end of March) are in bloom.

We also get tornado warnings and tornadoes. When you look for a place to live, you might want to look for a home with a basement.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:17 PM

550 posts, read 1,281,964 times
TN does have a lot of heat and humidity in July and August. It doesn't snow much here and when it does, it rarely sticks. It usually melts when it hits the ground. If it snows more than two inches people will be talking about "that big snow" for a while.

Think about it this way: is the weather ever so bad that you just don't want to do anything? In TN it's our summers, not winters, that are that way. Even then, there are plenty of things to do outside without it being horrible.

We only have about 6 weeks or so when it's really hot. But the previous poster is right, from May through October it's warm.

What part of TN were you looking at? TN has 3 distinct regions, west, middle and east.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:53 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:

I wish you my best on your moving to Tennessee.

One of the problems of living in Alaska is that the cost of living is very high, so unless one makes a ton of money it's quite difficult to move ahead financially. Other than that, the weather is not a problem to most of us. My wife and I have been in Alaska for a long time, and are planning to retire somewhere around Northern Washington. It's humid over there, but we like the snow and the cool temperatures. The cost of living is quite low compared to Fairbanks, although taxes are high. But even with three retirement pensions (am working on my second, plus my wife's) we could not retire here.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,514,208 times
Good luck with your move. I am sure you will figure it all out and be happy. Tennessee has such a varied terrain/climate. Since you say you will farm, I can only assume you mean to move to a very rural area. Which is the only area I would consider as well. I have been there many times and at different times of the year. Summers are usually not as brutal as other parts if the country, but I imagine it will be an adjustment from AK.

Btw, in Tennessee and other surrounding states you get to actually drive and live in the mountains if you want to.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:47 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,113 times
I haven't lived in Tennessee but did live for 14 years in Arkansas. Places like this have a lot to offer, and seem to have a real homespun sense of family and community and old-fashioned decency. I miss the daffodils and redbud trees in the spring and the country goodness. The climate where I lived has changed a lot though-from a green lushness to drought and heat spikes. Make sure if you plan to farm that there is adequate water supply. You can get used to the temperature extremes in the summer, I did and you know where I'm from..I went from the Interior to a Southern apartment without air conditioning. Was miserable at first. Make sure you have air conditioning, but over-reliance on it makes it harder to adapt.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,238 times
My wife and I were born and raised in Texas, and that is hot. We moved to Middle Tennessee in Oct. 2012, after having come here in July of that year to scout things out. Even in July, here it felt like a spring day where we were from, so weather isn't an issue for us. I would imagine you might have some adjustment to the climate, coming from Alaska, but as far as the people, cost of living, and the general atmosphere here, you can't beat it. There is a whole lot of rural area here, and I would bet you could find something to fit your bill. Like the other posters have said, the summer is really nice here, very green. We are excited about seeing spring here, since we have only seen summer and winter. Which, by the way, having lived in Utah for a short span, and seeing a lot of snow, the winter this year has been more what I call a " Norman Rockwell" sort of winter, with just enough snow to accent the landscape. I would say to do like us, and lots of other folks on CD have said to do. Follow your heart,, and keep an open mind, and who knows, you might like Tennessee as much as we do. Good Luck!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 PM

307 posts, read 560,004 times
Quote:

No worries! You're doing the right thing. We live in northwest WA...and we're tired of the constant overcast and rain. We can't even get decent snow in these parts. If you pick a home with lots of big trees around (plenty of those in TN...well, at least in Knoxville where I am most familiar with...have kinfolks there)..the shade will help keep the heat tolerable. You'll love the winters there. It will be like summer in Anchorage.
And cost of living is pretty low compared to anywhere else I've been. If you can, make a trip there first..but if not possible...just move on there...just make sure you've got everything set up on that end. We're getting ready to move out of the Northwest ourselves...to where there is plenty of sunshine...even in the winter. Good luck to you and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska