U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM

11 posts, read 17,023 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have a possible job opportunity in Kodiak. It was unexpected since it was a long shot when I applied and had already started to research a different place to move to when I got the call. We are beyond excited and I've been trying to research as much as possible, but am running into trouble finding housing options. I see a couple of apartment complexes, are there also hotels that may rent by the week? Is there an RV campground? I'm trying to wrap my mind around the logistics of moving out there by myself with three kids and a dog

Also, are there ranges or places to get handgun training? I'm comfortable with rifles and shotguns, but the only handgun I've shot was a 9mm and I just never could get comfortable with it.

I have a Subaru AWD, do I need special tires? If so, are there places to do this in Kodiak or do I need to do that in Anchorage before arriving?

I hope that wasn't too many questions! Any help is very much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:29 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,086,495 times
This site may answer some of your questions. There is a link on relocation here.
Kodiak Island, Alaska - Official Visitors Guide

Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 PM

2,561 posts, read 3,939,615 times
Your car should be fine. If you are moving to Kodiak in the near future, you shouldn't need studded tires. Even here in Wasilla in the winter I don't run studded. I just get a good all season tire and watch how I drive.
With the fishing industry, there's a lot of transitional living; which is why you are finding places that'll rent by the week.
I don't remember there being an RV campground... There's some state parks, but I'm not sure about camping... Welcome to Kodiak Area State Parks, Alaska State Parks
Why handgun training?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM

Thank you both for the wonderful links and info! It has given me a great place to start

As far as the handguns go, I had a friend stationed there who recommended getting one for safety (for wildlife). She mentioned that most wildlife will stay away from you as long as you respect their space and dispose of food properly, but thought it couldn't hurt since I'm a single mom and will be there alone with 3 young kids. Do you or any other locals find this is an accurate assumption? I'm prior military and fairly level-headed so there wouldn't be shooting willy nilly at things, more likely warning shots if all else fails, but in any case do you think having a handgun is a necessity?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM

2,561 posts, read 3,939,615 times
If you are going to spend time hiking in the woods, a handgun wouldn't be a bad idea... But I wouldn't say it's required. Bear spray could also work. The biggest key is being aware of your surroundings and understanding the basics bear safety (make plenty of noise, don't get between a mother & cub, don't get between a bear & its food, etc...)

I'd contact these guys for shooting classes: KISA Kodiak Island Sportsman Association

Just so you know... If you are going to drive up, you can't bring handguns through Canada.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM

Thanks again for the great link! Good to know about the gun law in Canada. If Bear Spray works, I'd probably be more comfortable with that. I also have a lab who may or may not be a good bear alarm, she tends to spook at the squirrels around here, a bear might send her over the edge

Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 PM

6,921 posts, read 11,714,489 times
Buy a handgun and learn how to use it. Bear spray might work or might not. I'd hate to see one of my kids getting mauled or my dog getting chewed on and not have any options left if the bear spray didn't work. The key is feeling confident with it and then safely securing it when you don't need it, especially with children around.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM

I see your point. Getting comfortable with a handgun is the biggest obstacle. I guess I just need to try more out. There was one I tried that felt good, but I can't remember what it was called. The guy at the range who had me shoot it called it "The Judge". It was like a hand cannon and I want to say it could take either bullets or shotgun shells?!

Any recommendations for a minimum caliber?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska