U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:03 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,592,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, in Alaska it's both wireless and wired internet service. The wired ones can be cable DSL, or landline DSL, but what sets the cost is the speed you want. The basic cost for a slow wired DSL service from ACS or GCI (cable) is around $48.00 plus tax a month. This is still quite expensive compared to the same service in the lower-48, and the reason may be because GCI and ACS pretty much have a stronghold on that portion of market. However, AT&T plus other companies have introduced competition to the local companies and often offer reduced prices. But as long as the market (customers) are willing to pay the price, all the companies involved will just maintain relatively equal prices for services. They may give a little discounts here and there to attract certain customers, but one has to shop around. What I do is to call the company on the telephone every six months or so, and ask for a discount. These discounts are offered when the companies change service plans, but don't tell you about it if you have been a customer of theirs. They just change plans to attract new customers.
That is what I pay MTA each month. $49.99 includes DSL and basic phone services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowstoneDate View Post
Anyone had good experiences with Satellite Television and or Satellite Online Internet dish companies? When in West Texas I had Wild Blue service. Online Internet at $49 per month. Wildblue.net
I had Dish Network for three years before canceling. They have three or four satellites, but only one is available in Alaska and you need at least a 3 meter dish in order to have uninterupted service. By the time I canceled, I was getting maybe 20 or so days of good reception every month. The weather did not seem to matter. Some days when it rained or snowed, I got great reception. Other days it was clear and sunny and I would have no reception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or