Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
I have to admit that I don't know anything about your field of expertise. But in general, if you can pass a background check and a drug test you can get a great paying job in Alaska. Your odds are way better than in the lower 48. Make sure you have an Alaskan ID. Be patient. A lot of employers are weary of outsiders who haven't spent a full winter here. Lots of folks bail after they see how cold and dark it gets. Don't be afraid to take a temporary job until something good comes your way later.
This is spot on.

The major oilfied players hire over 50% of their professionals such as engineers from outside Alaska because there just aren't enough of them in state to satisfy the need. I too think it would just be a matter of time before you would land a decent job, unless you have skeletons in your closet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
My husband is in your field of work and spent a good portion of 3 months looking for work once and he was an Alaskan Resident and very familiar with many of the engineering outfits around here. Competition is stiff for your line of work.

Good Luck. Keep your chin up and I'm sure you will find something soon.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:39 PM

31 posts, read 99,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
My husband is in your field of work and spent a good portion of 3 months looking for work once and he was an Alaskan Resident and very familiar with many of the engineering outfits around here. Competition is stiff for your line of work.

Good Luck. Keep your chin up and I'm sure you will find something soon.
What did he do that finally got him that job? Did he keep applying online, or visit the actual office buildings, email/call directly?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
not a single online application worked. He is a people person so talking (face to face) to the actual people hiring was what did the trick.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,278 times
I found a newsletter for the Alaska chapter of ASME at Home. It's dated (issued in May 2012), but may provide some info that you can use to make contacts with folks active in the chapter. They might be able to provide you with additional job-related contacts to follow up on. You could also start attending meetings of the local chapter (if they have them very frequently) to start networking with other attendees.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:27 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
The major oilfied players hire over 50% of their professionals such as engineers from outside Alaska because there just aren't enough of them in state to satisfy the need. I too think it would just be a matter of time before you would land a decent job, unless you have skeletons in your closet.
Worked for Big Oil when I lived in Alaska (as did my ex-husband), and we were both recruited from outside of the state as well. A lot of engineers in this line of work basically get sent where there are positions open, and if there happen to be some available in Alaska, that's where you go!

Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peznex View Post
I have moved to Anchorage. My wife is in the military. I recently graduated with a MS in mechanical engineering. I also have a BS in mechanical engineering.
I have searched and found it is very difficult to get a job in the area. I have contacted companies in the area and none of them are hiring. I am willing to travel, even doing the two weeks on, two weeks off petroleum jobs. I am not sure how to find those type of jobs. All I want is a job related to the engineering field. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
WHPacific, DOWL HKM

Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Here are some companies I found that both have offices in Alaska, and hire mechanical engineers. I don't know if they have ME's at all of these offices, or if they're currently looking.

Acuren - Home (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Kenai, and Prudhoe Bay)
ASRC Energy Services - ASRC Energy (Anchorage and Barrow)
British Petroleum - BP Global | BP (Anchorage)
CH2M Hill - CH2M HILL - Home (Anchorage, Fairbanks, Kenai, and Prudhoe Bay)
ConocoPhillips - ConocoPhillips (Anchorage and North Slope)
Design Alaska - Home - Design Alaska (Fairbanks)
Exelis (ITT) - www.excelis.com (Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Juneau)
Halliburton - Oilfield Services | Halliburton - Solving Challenges. - Halliburton (Anchorage, Kenai, and Prudhoe Bay)
Michael Baker Corporation - Michael Baker Corporation (Anchorage)
MWH - MWH | The Global Leader In Wet Infrastructure & Water Engineering (Anchorage)
Parker Drilling - Parker Drilling (Anchorage and North Slope)
PDC Inc. Engineers - Alaska Engineers, Planning, Design, Construction, Consulting - PDC Inc. (Anchorage and Fairbanks)
Schlumberger - Home, Schlumberger (Anchorage)
Tesoro Corp - New Document (Kenai)
URS Corporation - URS Corporation (Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Fort Wainwright)

Old 04-06-2013, 03:13 PM

31 posts, read 99,076 times
I was able to find a few jobs where I match all the qualifications and job description. I do not see any reason why they would not at least give me an interview, but I've been through this many times before and never get a response. Then, I applied for some others that I thought I could qualify for. I also got the North Slope training certification because it seemed like many jobs asked for it. Thanks again everyone.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:05 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
You have some good suggestions. I think most would agree it is who you know, as if HR guy is from Texas, he will hire from there if he can. The ratio from local to outside is high on the outside from what we saw. How long have you been in this field? (sorry if I missed it in OP or elsewhere). You need to go pound on doors and make them want you and do not act desperate..confidence rules, but no c*cky either. Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska