Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:47 PM

31 posts, read 99,029 times

Advertisements

I have moved to Anchorage. My wife is in the military. I recently graduated with a MS in mechanical engineering. I also have a BS in mechanical engineering.
I have searched and found it is very difficult to get a job in the area. I have contacted companies in the area and none of them are hiring. I am willing to travel, even doing the two weeks on, two weeks off petroleum jobs. I am not sure how to find those type of jobs. All I want is a job related to the engineering field. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 02:58 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Have you tried the Alaska and Federal job banks? You can search by your skill sets and setup auto emails when those jobs become available. You might have to pick a different starting job and then transition over to a job that is more in your degree field. Here is the main site I have been using: Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development

Career Builder and Indeed also have postings. But since we really want gov't jobs (because we have those now) I have been sticking with the jobs.alaska.gov.

We (my wife and I) have noticed that a lot of the jobs posted are for existing employees and in state residents. You have the in state residence requirement, so you should have it a little bit easier.

Also, what area of the state are you currently in? You can check with the local papers (online editions) as well. I know you said you would travel, but it wouldn't hurt to start looking from where you currently are.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am currently in the process of becoming a resident so I am not one yet. I am in Anchorage.
I have checked out everything you stated. The local newspaper uses career builder so they do not have their own postings. I will probably start applying for jobs out of my career field on ALEXsys like you said. And then you think it will be easier once I am in the system as an employee in a different field?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:47 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
There has been a recent contract change on the North Slope and several companies are looking to hire not only those from the companies who previously held the contracts but also new employees. ASRC & CH2M Hill would be two to keep an eye on. I do see ASRC has a Mechanical Engineer position posted for Anchorage currently.
Arctic Slope Regional Corporation

Old 03-18-2013, 04:08 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peznex View Post
Thank you for your reply. I am currently in the process of becoming a resident so I am not one yet. I am in Anchorage.
I have checked out everything you stated. The local newspaper uses career builder so they do not have their own postings. I will probably start applying for jobs out of my career field on ALEXsys like you said. And then you think it will be easier once I am in the system as an employee in a different field?
From my more than 18 years of government service, we prefer to hire from within when possible. The new hires are either entry level or when you really can't find someone within that has the qualifications you need. The latter is RARE, but does happen. FWIW, I see this most often in the Information Technology field. No offense, but you are 'wet behind the ears', 'green', or a 'green horn.' However you want to put it...

If you have to hire from the outside (even from another agency) you are going to be looking at job history and performance from a company that does regular performance evaluations. Getting through college helps as it shows you will commit to something and see it through to completion. Many of my co-workers and myself included took entry level jobs to get where we are today. I wanted it all at once, but I had to learn patience and earning your way in. I had some setbacks along the way too - it is part of life.

Private companies are so varied it is tough to give advice, but ones with a career track, especially in your field I would seek out. A lot of the companies on the slope when I look at their web-sites seem to have this.

My perspective, is that it is better to have an entry level job in an unrelated field, while looking to go into your field, than have no job. Especially since you indicate that it is tough to even find job openings in your field. If you do get on with a government position you will begin to make contacts. Hopefully you can find this entry level job in an agency that has the potential for a mechanical engineer, which would be ideal.

Besides moving to AK and establishing a home address in AK, getting your AK driver's license, vehicle plates transferred, what else is there to becoming a resident for employment purposes? I know there are times in state for other reasons like PFD and hunting permits, but you should be able to apply for a job as an AK Resident after those items are taken care of.

Again, I wish you the best and I hope you are able to make AK your home and build a career there. So many of us are realizing that we would like to be there are further along in our life. When it is harder to do so.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peznex View Post
I have moved to Anchorage. My wife is in the military. I recently graduated with a MS in mechanical engineering. I also have a BS in mechanical engineering.
I have searched and found it is very difficult to get a job in the area. I have contacted companies in the area and none of them are hiring. I am willing to travel, even doing the two weeks on, two weeks off petroleum jobs. I am not sure how to find those type of jobs. All I want is a job related to the engineering field. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Alyeska Pipeline - Employment - Job Opportunities

Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
CH2M Hill was looking for MEs late in 2012:

Mechanical Engineering Jobs » 2012 » October

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Try BP, Conoco Phillips, Hilcorp Alaska LLC, Cook Inlet Energy. Some of those might be looking for Engineers...

Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 PM

Thank you everyone, repped. I have been making a list of all the applications from your recommendations. I am having my resume professionally updated towards specific Alaska area jobs before I start applying.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 PM

261 posts, read 506,065 times
I have to admit that I don't know anything about your field of expertise. But in general, if you can pass a background check and a drug test you can get a great paying job in Alaska. Your odds are way better than in the lower 48. Make sure you have an Alaskan ID. Be patient. A lot of employers are weary of outsiders who haven't spent a full winter here. Lots of folks bail after they see how cold and dark it gets. Don't be afraid to take a temporary job until something good comes your way later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska